rough cut

Yes, of course. Efficiency to hire cheaper and fewer people. That's where sabotage comes from.

Whenever a new technology increases efficiency, it starts out expensive and the proletariat only get to play with it when it gets cheap enough. ;)

RicodJour

There was a cameraman shooting but I don't know if it was recorded or just projected on the monitor.... . I'll have to ask!

No stray plane parts found today... had to move many of my stationary tools this evening and the only thing I found was a build up of saw dust underneath the cabinet saw that the dust collector missed. ;~)

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

First project was a small box for their oil stone, next

Larry Jaques, See! Quality takes a little time!! :-)

Bill

Reply to
Bill

I doan see no lightin' fixtyas, boss. Ah jess doan sees 'em.

-- If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do. -- Samuel Butler

Reply to
Larry Jaques

True. Power tools do not make a man less of a craftsman, it just makes him more efficient.

Reply to
CW

Such as?

Reply to
CW

Problem here is that you ignored/didn't address the topic in my post in which you chose to insert your opinions. :)

NBD, but doing so would have kept your assumptions from running rampant down a path that doesn't exist.

Reply to
Swingman

...AND more accurate if he knows what he's doing.

Reply to
Robatoy

Robatoy wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@k32g2000vbn.googlegroups.com:

You know... I think I can make a serious mistake with a hand tool just as fast as I do with a power tool. Maybe there's a lower limit to the efficiency/accuracy measurement. :-)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I agree with that for the most part. Let's try the converse: Power tools do not make a man more of a craftsman. Do you agree with that as well?

Yes, just as learning to use his hand tools with more skill would make him more efficient.

Nobody and nothing has a lock on efficiency. How many times have you walked into an inefficiently set up shop that's brimming with the latest and greatest tools? How many times have you seen a skilled person doing something in an inefficient way?

RicodJour

I don't answer set up questions such as, were you the stupidest kid on your bus? Woodworking to me is not plywood and it is not just kitchens, modern or otherwise. Woodworking is a series of steps, and some of them benefit from power tools, for one reason or another, and others power tools are just as likely to mess up the work, and are an actual hindrance, for one reason or another. Perhaps the reason that you feel power tools are faster in all aspects of woodworking is that you have never seen a truly fast person with hand tools. That's not much of a surprise as hand work is pretty much a lost art at this point.

Let me ask you a question, which, of course you are free to ignore if you feel it is a setup.

You are proud of your kitchens. If you could invest an unlimited amount of money into an unlimited size shop, and had CNC everything where you could design a kitchen in Sketchup and press a button and the parts would all be precut, would that make you more or less proud of your work?

And another - do you use story poles? Tick sticking? You probably use a lot of old time techniques that are just as valid as they were back in the day.

As far as the labor costs and that stuff - that's just marketing. If someone can't figure out a way to market their stuff so people see the value in the product and are willing to pay a premium for the work, that's not the fault of any tool, power or hand.

RicodJour

More accurate? Elaborate please. Unless, of course, you're talking about woodworking accuracy beyond a few thousandths. If you're talking about four decimal places, then that's a waste of time and not efficient.

RicodJour

Take exactly 1/4" off the side of a 2 x 6 it is the 1/4" strip I am after.

Handsaw vs circular saw and fence...

Reply to
Robatoy

I'd suggest that any accuracy beyond 1/64" is wishful thinking. And for a lot of us that ought to be 1/32". And neither lasts past the first humidity change :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

I just Recently watched my first episode of Rough Cut. My first reaction was who is this idiot? I then watched a few more episodes during the marathon on Create...

Tommy grew on me quickly, he's young and proud of his work. So what if he describes a nice piece of wood as "sweet"? Yes, some detail is left out but he only has 22 minutes or whatever TV is now. I also like his appreciation of old work and how he brings in people to help out. He doesn't need to act like he knows everything.

As one who worships at the altar of Norm I can remember the early shows when Norm all but dunked each part in glue and power nailed everything. But the best thing that Norm did for me was inspire me to buy a few pieces of wood and cut them up and try putting them back together as something useful. I hope Tommy Mac can stay on the air and maybe inspire a few more people to try hacking apart a piece of wood and building something with it.

Reply to
Limp Arbor

I think I hate you :-). I also have the garage sale habit, but the best I've ever done was either a 1948 Delta tablesaw or an old Stanley double spokeshave that was like new.

BTW, there's a story on that spokeshave. I tried to find out how old it was. Best I could do was pre-1910. So when antiques road show came to town I took it in. The expert said it was from the 1800s (I forget the exact year), was the best condition he'd ever seen, and could well have been part of the first production run of that model. I thanked him for the info and said I would be using the spokeshave. He looked at me and said "Don't you dare!" - I think of that each time I even look at the spokeshave :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

"Larry Blanchard" wrote

-----------------

Well......, when are you going to tell us??

HOW MUCH WAS IT WORTH???

Reply to
Lee Michaels

You used a lot of words saying that you used power tools when having to make a living at it.

Reply to
CW

And more years figuring out that I didn't need to.

RicodJour

Good for you! Life's too short to work with crappy tools. If you have an oldie but goodie, by all means you should be using it. If people give you grief, tell them that you're doing your best to make all the other existing examples more valuable. ;)

RicodJour