rough cut

Page 3 of 5

Why didn't you e-mail Karl with that information if your intent was honourable? There was no need to hang this out in a public newsgroup. And what other reason would there be for you to point out differences in code/construction unless you wanted to show off how superior YOU are? And if it was to be helpful, why not via an e-mail?
Karl needs neither me, nor Robert (nailster) or anybody else to 'stick up for him', he's perfectly capable of taking care of himself.
With all due respect, I did feel you were being mean-spirited about the whole thing.
Now.. when are we going to see some of your work? I can't wait.
"RicodJour" wrote: <snip>.

------------------------------ Perform aerial intercourse on a rotating annular spheroid.
Lew

ûԹġͼƬ˵лл ;
On 2/7/2011 4:17 PM, RicodJour wrote:

Sure, I can give you a description. What Lew describes is another way of saying "Take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut." If you want a picture you'll have to use your imagination.
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.

This has gone from completely ridiculous to sheer absurdity. I almost fell out of my chair.... you do that for everyone you meet? What would possess you to do that? Friends, family, associates, internet contacts you are digging up dirt on? Really?
WTF is next? Will you next declare you research the automobiles of everybody you meet (????) for recall notices? It would take a lot less effort you know, but hell, at least you could tell people you were saving lives.
Do you make sure everyone you meet gets the best rate on their CDs? (You know, while you are fooling around in their financial affairs...)
Come on. There is really lame, and then there is completely unbelievable.
Want proof? Really?
To how many others here on this newsgroup have you provided this altruistic, selfless expenditure of your efforts? How many others have you so thoughtlessly given away your time to making sure they have no unclaimed property available to them?
Are you kidding? There are plenty here that have posted their first and last names, and some even use them in their posting name. Yet this is the first time I have ever heard of anyone (including you) looking into the Unclaimed Property Registry as a favor to the people they meet here. Incredible you would even make that claim.
In fact, around here Karl seems to be the only one you have extended this fantastically thoughtful gesture to in keeping with your description of everybody.

Well, a couple of thoughts crossed my mind after digging out of the baloney. 1st - maybe Karl insnt interested in your help. Hard to believe he would turn down a generous benefactor like yourself that is simply interested in helping others, but that could indeed be the case. And 2nd, you seem to feel pretty good about yourself; anyone that could spin out these yarns for all to see with confidence probably doesnt have a self esteem problem. ( No... dont post all your credentials again. I saw them all.) If I were you, I wouldnt worry to much about how badly I felt if I was minding my own business.
As far as you taking the high road and opting not to ignore basic principles that is a bit high minded for someone that posts personal financial information on an international platform. I dont know; I was guessing you meant basic principles of personal decorum, but after reading your post I realize you dont observe those.

Sorry.... no deflection allowed here. A bad attempt to turn the tables and make yourself look like you are being called out for just trying to be a great guy. A thoughtful man that helps everyone he meets.
Horseshit. You were digging for dirt and didnt think it through before you posted. For a man that claims to be so smart, you sure didnt think how it would look for you to be snooping around in his affairs. You didnt find that money, nor bring it up here because you are just a great guy providing the same service to Karl you provide to everyone. You just wanted to look like a big man to the boys.
I would never have to face the burning, ethically challenging, moral question of

because I wouldnt have been snooping into anyones private affairs in that depth. Certainly not over having my feelings hurt in a petty internet dust up.

A bad straw man argument indeed. A deflection tactic brought to argumentative fruition by the introduction of a self created moral dilemma.
Time to man up. You were caught being a chickenshit. Better to let it go than to keep heaping on more asinine baloney.
Robert

I have to agree with your entire assessment. It occurs to me that if he's so capable of finding all this money for people, then it sounds like an ideal model for a business. Advertising that he can find lost money for a percentage of the money found would certainly bring out the clients. No money found, no charge. When authorized to look for that lost money by a client and then finding it would make him look good and the clients happy. Seems to me like he's lost or ignored an excellent opportunity.

There are already lots of businesses that do exactly that. http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=en&q=unclaimed+property+finders+fees&aq=1&aqi=g2g-v3&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&fp=2608ddb53883967 Some states regulate the fees, others prohibit charging a fee once it's on the state list.
On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 18:51:36 -0800, RicodJour wrote:

I think I hate you :-). I also have the garage sale habit, but the best I've ever done was either a 1948 Delta tablesaw or an old Stanley double spokeshave that was like new.
BTW, there's a story on that spokeshave. I tried to find out how old it was. Best I could do was pre-1910. So when antiques road show came to town I took it in. The expert said it was from the 1800s (I forget the exact year), was the best condition he'd ever seen, and could well have been part of the first production run of that model. I thanked him for the info and said I would be using the spokeshave. He looked at me and said "Don't you dare!" - I think of that each time I even look at the spokeshave :-).

"Larry Blanchard" wrote

-----------------
Well......, when are you going to tell us??
HOW MUCH WAS IT WORTH???
<tapping foot>
On Tue, 01 Feb 2011 14:18:53 -0500, Lee Michaels wrote:

Actually, not all that much. Average price is in the $60-$90 range. Since mine was so pristine, he said he'd price it at about $150 in his shop. Nothing to get excited about.

Good for you! Life's too short to work with crappy tools. If you have an oldie but goodie, by all means you should be using it. If people give you grief, tell them that you're doing your best to make all the other existing examples more valuable. ;)
On Tue, 1 Feb 2011 18:58:10 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard

Shoulda sold it to some rich yuppie sucker and bought an entire matched set of Satanleys to replace it. Or trade it in for a SawStop with accessories.
-- To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure. -- J. K. Rowling

It woulda took me 2 hours to type all that...
RP
<snip>
It woulda took me 2 hours to type all that... RP
It would have taken you 10 seconds to snip that 16K of text before you added your 10 words. Give the dial-up guys a break. Eh? Art
"Swingman" wrote in message

I remember a shop class teacher (in a previous century) who told the class how he'd finished his basement using nothing but hand tools. Being young smartasses we asked him why he didn't wire the basement first so he could use power tools. Wish I'd paid more attention back then.
On 2/5/2011 12:50 PM, DGDevin wrote:

I helped my grandfather and an uncle build/add on to their houses in the middle of the last century, with nothing but hand tools. My dad and I built all our barns, and a duck hunting boat, with nothing but hand tools in the early 50's ... thank gawd for electricity.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
"Swingman" wrote:

---------------------------------- My parents built a house in the middle of a 2 acre woods in 1947.
The house setting required the electric utility to set a pole about 20-30 feet from the house and pull a service.
The contractor wouldn't start to work until electric was available (Dad should have used an Amish contractor).
As June 1 came and went without power being pulled, my dad took a day off the road (he was an outside salesman) and drove the 20-30 miles to the utility office.
He entered the utility office, the receptionist asked how they cloud help my dad.
My dad asked if she could tell him who in the place took the most baths?
Puzzled, the receptionist asked why he wanted to know.
Dad replied, "Mame, if I have to kiss somebody's ass to get some electricity pulled, I want to kiss the cleanest one."
Next day, utility was setting a pole.
Day after that, contractor started work.
We barely made moving in before New Year's day, but we did it.
Lew
Swingman wrote:

The granary/elevator, house and barn here were all built prior to 1920 and all except the elevator (which was first building on the place beginning in 1914 and predates the old Delco WindCharger as well) show signs of power tools. Most was hand work, of course, but tools were in use besides. The most obvious was in the shaping work in finish work where obviously there was a shaper in use.
On 2/5/2011 5:06 PM, dpb wrote:

My maternal grandfather owned a sawmill and had a shop on his farm, between Eunice and Basile, LA ... anyone familiar with rural LA in this time period (mid to late 40's and into the early 50's) will not be surprised to know that it was routine to see fifty or so teams and buggy's in front of the church on a Sunday morning. Hell, they were lucky to have gravel roads, much less electricity, into the late 40's.
My grandfather felled the trees, cut and dried the lumber and built the farm house, the outbuildings, the shop and all the furniture in the house from oak and hog pecan on his land. His shop, a place I spent a considerable amount of time in as a youngster playing, and working doing minor woodworking chores for him, did not have a single electric tool in it. I learned to use a hand saw to rip at the age of six ... wrote a story about that that was posted here a few years back called "A gloat of magical proportions".
I would give anything to have him come sit in _my_ shop for just ten minutes and see how much things have changed in that time.
Age based perspective colors a lot of attitudes and opinions about woodworking, to say the least. :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Swingman wrote: ...

We didn't get REA power until '48 after WW II. The Delco went in sometime very early but I don't know exactly when--the first picture I have of the barn shows the power to it and the house was wired in preparation when it was built in '15-'16.
I do not know (never thought to ask Dad) how they powered the equipment, the 32V DC windcharger surely didn't.
The elevator (first overhead grain storage on farm in the county) was initally powered w/ gasoline engine and jackshafts/flat belts; I presume they must have set up a shop area somewhere similarly but that's supposition, not knowledge.