rough cut

I think I watched my last episode of Rough Cut this morning. He built a trestle table. The only part that needed explanation was the breadboaed ends. His comment "All I've got left to do is glue on the ends" and that was all he said. Sheeesh!

I'm going to write to Woodcraft. As an ex-employee I'm ashamed they're sponsoring it.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

They've been running a Rough Cut marathon on the tube here. I'd already seen a number of them, and watched a couple more. They're not the worst thing on TV, and better than some of the other shows - even though it's his first season (I think), but the problem is that The Woodwright's Shop is on the same channel and I couldn't help contrasting the two shows.

Verdict - Roy Underhill by a country mile and running away. Roy is definitely different than your average oh-take-me-seriously-please host, but he so clearly knows the stuff backwards, forwards, and some directions I don't even know, his enthusiasm is apparent and contagious, he talks non-stop, literally, and there is never a pause, never an Um, Sweet! or anything of that sort, and it certainly looks like the show is shot in one go with no edits. While he's doing the work!

If you don't like hand tools, the song of a sharp plane, and need to hear a motor roaring to feel you're really working (or believing the machine always does it faster), then Roy's show is certainly not for you. Me? The more I watch the guy the more I appreciate him and what he does.

RicodJour

Just curious--are those reruns or is Roy Underhill still making new shows?

Bill

Reply to
Bill

According to the web site Roy is in his 30th season and still making new shows.

Nova

He's still shooting... and he has a school now:

John Grossbohlin

I knew he had a new school. That's why I am surprised he is still making new shows. Glad to hear it!

Bill

Reply to
Bill

When it comes to woodwork Roy Underhill has every one beat.

I became a dedicated viewer when he brought a 12" oak log into the shop and cut two 2" planks with just his hatchet and a wedge. That was years ago.

Reply to
knuttle

The "Rough Cut" host may not be calling all the shots, as to what he demonstrates and says. Woodcraft may not be just a sponsor, but may be directly funding the show's production. The show hasn't been on very long. Give them a little time to get their act/a better act, together. Maybe they'd like the viewer's feedback, too.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Sonny wrote in news:b7ebc2e9-987c-4293-ba14- snipped-for-privacy@s2g2000yqj.googlegroups.com:

Maybe you could helpfully direct them to the episode of Woodwright's Shop where Roy explained how the breadboard ends worked. *grin*

I think it was "Harvard Side Table."

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Try this...

aka 10x

Reply to
10x

Tommy Mac is sure he needs some feedback and he knows he's a little rough. There is a thread on Lumberjocks where he addresses this. On the Binghamton PBS station, he's bumped Norm out of his time slot. I miis Norm but new stuff is hard to beat. I think Tommy is real talented and is willing to show off some of his skills and teach us less fortunate ones that do not have our own TV shows how to do it. We should watch and be patient and see how he evolves. I sure wish David Marks would come back. There's some real talent there. I wonder if he got sick of people in his shop and gave them the boot?

RP

Reply to
RP

web site certainly made me smile.

"TOOLS: You=92ll be doing early Anglo-American style joinery with English-style tools. That=92s what this class is about - early music played on the original instruments. Many people like to work with Japanese tools these days, but we will not be using them in this class. As one respected teacher put it, =93That would be like stir- frying grits.=94

I will have all the tools you=92ll need for the workshop waiting on your bench. You may certainly bring your own tools if you wish. Please note that tape measures are not permitted in the building, Normite propaganda will be denounced, and any tools with plastic handles must be hidden when I walk by.

DRESS CODE: Dress code? In keeping with our efforts to make the Woodwright=92s School look as if it were 1937, please wear clothing that would not look out of place in that time period. When you enter this vintage environment, you become a part of it. I=92ll have a few shop coats to cover anyone who forgets and wears a logo T-shirt. We=92ll shoot a group photo for you to take home."

The guy's got a sense of humor. I wonder how much of that is edited out for TV to be politically correct.

RicodJour

-- An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -- Sir Winston Churchill

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Ditto here in Central Ohio on PBS. The guys and gals on this newsgroup may be able to figure out some the tings they leave out, but not me (AKA extreme novice wanna be). Some nice items were made by the host and his friends..

Reply to
Michael Kenefick

There's no argument if any show attracts more people into our 'sport', then it's a good show. I think my main objection with Rough Cut is that it tries to be all things to all people, and that's simply not possible. Tommy Mac's got some serious chops, but it's almost as if they're downplaying that (or editing it out) to showcase his personality. When you contrast that with The Woodwright's Shop, where it's impossible to ignore Roy's woodworking skill and enthusiasm _and_ his personality, it really accentuates what's missing in Rough Cut.

Do not get me wrong, I would be saddened if Rough Cut left the airwaves (cables?). It's definitely a nice addition to the selection of woodworking shows to watch, and I'm looking forward to seeing more of them.

RicodJour

I like Roy, his show, appreciate what he does, and the fact that he is also one of the nicest guys around ... but what do you reckon his response would be if I told him that he, and one partner, must build, to designer spec, 28 wall and base cabinets, 20 dovetailed drawers, 6 shop built pullouts, 60 doors/drawer fronts, associated shelving, and install them in a precise dimensioned location in 30 days of work?

Methinks the lad would quickly grab for a tailed tool or two, or more ...

Often our trueness to our Normite/Neander philosophy depends upon whether you need to make a living at it or not. :)

Reply to
Swingman

Most of his shows are shot in one continuous take...

He is very funny and came out with some really funny things the times I've been with him in person.

An example of this sarcasm is that I've got one of his Woodwrights Shop Y2K Tool Kits -- it's a first aid kit!

Probably not news here but he's fond of saying "Woodworking beyond the Norm."

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

...or you're messing with sheet goods and paint. ;~)

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

I don't paint ... I'm colorblind. Well, that's my excuse anyway. But, I can certainly arrange it. ;0

Reply to
Swingman

We just found Rough Cut a week or so ago guys. We also watch Roy and Norm and other WW Shows.

Guys, the other night my wife said out loud "I like him," when I suggested watching Rough Cut.

But guys, his personality bugs me a bit guys as I, too, am most interested in techniques and know damned well that that jig took him more than five minutes to make.

Guys, I'd like to see a Woodworking On A Budget show where the host used his own shop worn equipment instead of the latest and greatest tools (available at WoodSmith & Company).

Reply to
Hoosierpopi