rotary tool collets

I've had a Dremel rotary tool for close to 45 years. It died a few days ago. Actually, it died aroounf 12 years ago but I shipped it off to Dremel to be repaired. Well, they didn't repair it, just sent back another one - probably refurbished - which I didn't much care for...slide switch to vary speed instead of (IMO) a handier dial, bearings less than stellar (made afair amount of noise. They charged me $35 + shipping, I figure that is about what the wholesale was on a new one.

I won't be buying another Dremel, probably get one at Harbor Freight since I have had decent experiences with most of their tools. However, I have numerous old Dremel accessories with various shank sizes that I would like to keep using, have collets for all. My question is, does anyone know - KNOW - if the Dremel collets are useable in the HF tool?

Thanks.

Reply to
dadiOH

I bought their "add on" kit with buffer wheels, grinding wheels and so on, and they all fit my Dremel that has the1-5 slide for speed control. The brushes or something internal is giving be speed problems, so it is either slow or fast depending on whether it is having a good day or not.

So I imagine they're the same. I've looked at some of theirs in person and a few models are hardly bigger than the palm of my hand. So be choosy about which model you get. If you do please post your thoughts since I'm in the market for one as well.

Reply to
OFWW

I don't know about the electric tools but I've used Dremel collets in their miniature air grinder.

Reply to
J. Clarke

i notice a lot of places do this now no repair just send a new one problem is new ones are not always better

thinking about getting item#40432 since it has a flexible shaft and is moreversatile than my handheld i have a dremel look alike craftsmen i think

Reply to
Electric Comet

I had one HF rotary tool that did on honest amount of work over 2 days, but it's replacement didn't last 10 minutes. It's replacement (the 3rd unit) is still in the box unopened since I will save it for "very lightweight" applications. The good news is the HF is liberal about replacement within 30 days. I don't think I would buy another one, but you say you have had good luck with HF tools, so who knows... Some people say that they would never buy a car that was a rental (e.g. Hertz), but I have bought 4 or 5 or them, with complete satisfaction.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Leaving emotions out of the decision making, I think I would buy another Dremel with the features you like. UNLESS of course you simply don't like any of the models.

I have had a Dremel rotary tool since 1981. Cheap and gets hot quick when use on full speed. BUT my son bought an accessory kit for it about

6 years ago. All of the accessories fit that 35 year old unit.

And in the last few years I have replaced the Wrench collet with a finger tighten collet for a few dollars.

Which model did they send you? Most all I see on the web site still have a rotary speed dial with a slide for quick replacement of accessories.

Reply to
Leon

So Bill your first HF lasted an honest 2 days, the second 10 minutes and you have an unopened on in the box......

Do you really recommend that tool? It seems that It would be cheaper to buy one that would last longer and probably be more comfortable to use and save you time by not having to replace if after 2 days of use.

Just saying.....

Reply to
Leon

No, if you read again, you'll notice that I wrote: "I Don't think I would buy another one,..." (and I really meant it!)

Bill

Reply to
Bill

item # matters with hf

Reply to
Electric Comet

Sorry! I kind'a read these two together.

The good news is the HF is liberal about >>> replacement within 30 days. I don't think I would buy another one,

I understood you could continue to return the bad units for exchanges since they have 30 day liberal return policy.

I paid no attention to punctuation which would have mattered a lot. LOL

I have been seeing too many of Sparky Comet's comments with all that goes with his/her projectile vomiting of words.

Reply to
Leon

Many years ago I burned up a Dremel after a satisfactory amount of work doi ng carving and polishing. I bought another, and it wasn't as well made and didn't last well, either. So I bought a rotary from HF. It was cheap, di dn't last that long, but I felt like I got my money's worth out of it. How ever, I was when it died, and was even more annoyed I had to stop working on my project because it simply quit.

I mentioned that to a guy that I know that does a lot of woodcarving, and h e put me onto the Black and Decker RTX. Maybe I got a good one, I don't kn ow. But it is about 20 years old and runs like it did when it was new. I used it a couple of weeks ago to polish out and burnish the edge of a knife with some metal polish and it is still as strong as the day I got it.

The hardest work day this tool had was to cut about 250 roofing nails off t hat punched through 1/2" plywood decking. It burned a lot of grinding whee ls up, but not the tool for that all day and a half job.

So what I am saying is that I would split the difference on the price of th e Dremel and the HF, and get what I think is a better tool. And yes, all t he Dremel bits (anything with 1/8" shank) will fit the Black and Decker.

Just my 0.02.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

I just don't like Dremel. Two reasons...

  1. They were less (WAY less) than customer oriented when I returned the the one for repair.

  1. I think they are way overpriced. Especially the "accessories".

No idea which model, probably no longer made. The one they sent has a sliding switch for on/off/speed. Don't like it. it was sent to Dremel heaven (trash) a few days ago so I can't look up for the model number.

Reply to
dadiOH

I bought their corded, variable speed one, $24.95. The Dremel collets are a smidge smaller(

Reply to
dadiOH

I would miss mine if it went. I have an old model with ball bearings. It's probably 45 years old, I had it when I was a kid and was building models. I have used and abused it. No speed control, but I added an external speed control, my dad thought it said 10 amps and had me buy an expensive motor controller. It was really 1.0 amps.

I had to resolder the brush holder to the lead. It broke off twice. I assume from heat or poor design originally.

I have a friend that taught me how to build models at a top level. He went through many dremels. He built full time, so they were used a lot, but he abused them all the time. I don't stall mine, he always pushed hard to the stalling point. I never understood that, I let the tool cut, I bog it slightly so it is not burning up the bit, but I let it cut.

Reply to
woodchucker

woodchucker wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@ptd.net:

*snip*

One thing I remember from reading the Dremel manual all those years ago was the basic theory of operation: Don't push, let the speed of the tool do the work.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Cool, let me know what it feels like to use and the power compared to the dremel. I miss mine. :)

Reply to
OFWW

I honestly believe that you would be happier with the B&D that Nailshooter mentioned, than the HF. You would be pretty much going down in quality to the bottom and what you threw away might be preferable. You can trust Nailshooters suggestions.

Reply to
Leon

Strangely enough my old cheap-o Dremel that I bought in 1981 had electronic speed control. I would have guessed bronze bushings over ball bearings however.

Reply to
Leon

Yep, the diff in price was a lot for the ball bearing over the bronze. So far, glad I spent the money. Back then in the late 60s- early 70s it was a lot of money.

Reply to
woodchucker