rotary gun rack

Page 1 of 2
I really need some help here. Does anyone know where I can buy a set of plans for a rotary gun rack? Saw an ad in Shotgun News, but it turned out to be discontinued. No luck on ebay, any firearm forum, or using "ask". Anyone?
cheoreomacv wrote:

Like a store display rack? You need plans for one??? Just go to the store, look at theirs, make some notes and go clone it like Norm would. It's not brain surgery...
Pete C.

That's right. Once you get into the lofty atmosphere of a pro, it's actually hard to tolerate someone that even needs plans. Plans are for losers.
So, for all of us losers that need or want them from time to time whether it be for measurements, design, tips, tricks, material lists, hardware sources, etc., or anything else that you might WANT plans for (???) try this:
http://tinyurl.com/ydupdz
Try a google search under "revolving gun rack" and you will find success.
Robert
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I'm not a "pro", indeed I'm predominantly a metalworker, with wood on the side. I am however pretty good at adapting and cloning designs from things I've seen.
In this case I know every Wal Mart, Dick's Sporting Goods, etc. has one of these revolving display racks which you can readily go see in person, make a sketch of and in all probability take measurements of to put together a workable design.

I suppose I'm never interested in plans for an item because I never want to clone it exactly. I always find something that I want to change or adjust to better fit my needs, it's half the justification for building vs. just buying something off the shelf.
Pete C.

What are these "plans" that I keep reading about?

They show what you built was *supposed* to look like. <grin>
`

But... how would anyone else but me *know* that?
On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 15:12:14 -0600, Dave Balderstone

Ah, so it now comes out. Those who don't use plans use this tactic because that way nobody can see how things came out differently than originally envisioned. Diabolically clever. :-)

Heh. Caught.
The jewelry box I managed to finish for SWMBO this year (pics to come) started out by looking through a couple of Doug Stowes' books, then evolved and morphed in my mind for a while as I looked for wood (cherry and maple as it turned out, although the maple came later, when I decided to put a drawer in the thing) then planed, glued up some for a lid, pondered some more... made a mistake cutting one piece so revised again... Etc.
I guess I find working from plans, well, *boring*. I don't want to make something that's been made before by somebody else. I like looking at plans to get ideas about how things have been done before and learn from history, but that's really the extent of my desired involvement with them.
On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 17:24:40 -0600, Dave Balderstone

I guess I am more pragmatic in this regard (at least right now). My desire is to create things of utility as well as well-crafted and good looking. Thus, if I need something, for example an entertainment center, and can find a plan that has all the details worked out that fits my (and of course the Overlord's) esthetics, then I will use the plans. I may make modifications; for example, for the entertainment center, I replaced the somewhat simplistic lower shelves with drawers in order to assure reduction in future clutter, but for the most part, the plans are a means of laying out the design without having to spend the design time to get there.
On the other hand, if I can't find plans for something that is going to meet my needs, then I will design my own and draft up my own plans. I do go to the extent of making drawings to make sure that the dimensions and proportions look right and to identify any issues that might occur in construction. I do not draft in the joinery methods or dimensions for the joinery -- that I do when building the piece; I don't have the patience to do 3D CAD mortise & tenons. Once the drawing is complete, I will start the real construction. This is where your method does have its advantage -- there are times when, shall we say, adjustments need to be made because a mortise was cut in the wrong location or a rail was interchanged with a different rail of different dimension. While the end piece comes out looking fine, there is still that paper trail showing that it wasn't exactly as designed. (It was an engineering change -- yeah, that's the ticket).
I used to work from plans. I was new.
Took a class at the Adult Ed woodshop, and decided to make the clock from the Fine Woodworking magazine, becasue it was classier than the the one that they were using, maybe ten years old, and from 'another magazine'.
Great looking cherry wood, including some really neat stuff that I resawed from a nice piece that a friend gave me. I got to a particular place in the process, and got stuck. It didn't work the way it was drawn or measured. So I started again with some nice figured maple. And got stuck again, in pretty much the same place.
Some folks can't immediately see where the plans were wrong.
A trip to Woodcraft, and four tools later, I had three ways of fixing the problem. Now there are two Shaker style clocks with reproduction period works in them, in my small den.
And I seldom work from plans any more.
Some things I can screw up on my own just fine, thank you very much.
Patriarch
Tue, Dec 26, 2006, 11:02pm (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@nospam.comcast.net (Patriarch) doth sayeth: <snip> Now there are two Shaker style clocks with reproduction period works in them, in my small den. <snip>
Yeah, but then you usually wind up with one clock 24 hours faster than the other one.
Mark & Juanita wrote:

I sometimes use plans. It's nice to have a fully scaled drawing to note engineering changes on.
Bill
--
Never continue in a job you don't enjoy. If you're happy in what you're
doing, you'll like yourself, you'll have inner peace. And if you have
Robert Bonomi wrote:

Like the shed I bought recently, the plans look like a mansion, however when built looks like the house from Greenacres.
Charles
Tue, Dec 26, 2006, 5:38pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@snet.net (PeteC.) doth sayeth: <snip> I suppose I'm never interested in plans for an item because I never want to clone it exactly. I always find something that I want to change or adjust to better fit my needs, it's half the justification for building vs. just buying something off the shelf.
Yep. Router tables, tool stands, and all that, they're someone else's ideas, usually not what I need - and/or usually way too pricey for my means. I'm on about the Mark III or IV version of my router table. Does just what I want and need, and cost very little. I'd never have been able to buy one that would work anywhere near as well for me.
Pete C. wrote:

Knife maker?
Chilla wrote:

"Certified Jack of All Trades", fairly decent at most. See my crappy site for a look at a few projects I've thrown some stuff up about http://wpnet.us
Pete C.
... snip

Very nice projects. I'd say more than fairly decent.
Mark & Juanita wrote:

Thanks.
Pete C.
Pete C. wrote:

Yeah I'm a JOT as well, not by design, but through necessity. I forge, cast, mould, make all the tooling and equipment etc. etc. etc.
I am a Cutler by choice, but do a lot of other things as necessary or as the wind takes me :-)
Regards Charles