ROS;PSA or H&L

RE: Subject

I've used a lot of both PSA and H&L abrasives.

Trust me, PSA is a real PITA.

If I could ever find 8" H&L, it would be the last time I would buy 3M, Green Stikit discs for a foam pad.

Abrasives are not a place to try to save money, IMHO.

HTH

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

IIRC the Green Stikit disks were a lower grit number and a real cheaply made disk. Have you ever been able to find the 3M Gray, Gold disks in the grits you use. These are much better disks.

Reply to
Leon

The Carborundums are good, too. I have no problems with the 3M Gold or Imperial (purple), either. What am I missing?

Jim

Reply to
Jim Wilson

"Jim Wils> The Carborundums are good, too. I have no problems with the 3M Gold or

The problem is the PSA adhesive itself.

After a few disks, the pad starts getting gummy from the old adhesive, so you have to stop and clean it before continuing..

Fortunately, the hull fairing is complete, even though it took 3 years, so have no further need for PSA.

BTW, these were 50 & 80 grit disks.

HTH

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I don't doubt that you have problems but oddly I can remember needing to clean a pad 1 or 2 times in the last 15 years. I wonder if the humidity and or temperature has something to do with this.

Reply to
Leon

Hmmm. Now that I think about it, the last ones I bought were at a ww show in Sackatomatoes. I will have to find another source too. Crap! Good thing they last a long time. :-)

Wayne

Reply to
NoOne N Particular

what pad cleaning I have had to do (in dry arizona) has been to get sawdust off. quick alcohol wipe and back in biz...

Reply to
bridger

For openers, these disks were used on epoxy fairing compound which is abrasive and very dusty.

Epoxy fairing compound will wear a sanding disk away to zilch very quickly so there was a lot of disks being replaced in a short time.

I don't have a clue about the weather but I'm in SoCal which translates to zilch humidity and warm but not really hot (high 80's this week) days.

For me H&L simplifies my life and H&L disks are competitively priced, at least for me they are.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

That may be it. If you are effectively wearing away the part of the dish that holds every thing together there may be nothing substantial left to pull the adhesive away from the pad. That normally does not happen when working with wood.

If that is the case, I can sure see why you would prefer H&L. It all depends on your needs and how you use the disks.

Reply to
Leon

Exactly the same here. Even the same "here," as I'm in AZ also. (G)

Jim

Reply to
Jim Wilson