Roo Clear vs. Tightbond Melamine

Any comments ? Got to do some melamine cabinets for my garage and thought this would be a good time to experiment with butt joints and confirmats. I know a lot of folks just do this without glue, but I'm always curious as to what's available and options.

Jim In FL

Reply to
Jim Bailey

I tried some Roo Clear and apparently got a bad bottle or something. Didn't stick hardly at all. Supplier replaced the bottle and the new one works okay.

I've never used the Titebond stuff.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

"Jim Bailey" wrote in news:46d5b5c4$0$32544$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

Bought and used Roo Clear for Melamine on some prefinished maple ply. Works well, but make sure you clean up the squeezeout early. It's a 'softish' adhesive, at least for the first 6 weeks...

I'm pretty happy with it, for the most part. But then, I'm easy. ;-)

Have neither seen nor used the Titebond version of which you speak.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Well.... my experience is the reverse of the comments so far: I've used the Titebond a couple times, but never the Roo Glue.

It grips pretty well, as long as you get a fresh bottle. Check the date code!! The shelf life on Titebond Melamine is only ONE year, not three years like their regular wood glues. In my experience, fifteen months from manufacture means it's time to toss it.

The bond seems to be a little stronger if you wait a few minutes after spreading the glue, before assembly.

Reply to
Doug Miller