Romex cable stapler - pneumatic?

Page 2 of 2

VG carries a hefty price anywhere. VG cedar in a stain-grade tubasix is $8-12/lf here, special order. Dunno 'bout VGDF.
-- Never trouble another for what you can do for yourself. -- Thomas Jefferson

My property is primarily Fir, Cedar, and Hemlock with some Maple and Wild Cherry. I'm mostly taking out the 130' tall multi headed Hemlocks so I can sleep better at night. With some of the Doug Fir that came down on the neighbors property as I was splitting rounds I probably put 25% to one side to be resawn for boxes ect. A tree guy I do some work for hauling chips or excavator work got to log part of an old growth forest. He's got 5' diameter rounds about 6' long that's he is taking to the mill to have it cut for doing his floor. He will also get it kiln dried. Wonderful colors in old fir. I did my living room trim in clear straight grain fir with an oil finish.
Mike M
On Thu, 27 Sep 2012 21:32:52 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

Here's one of them coming down. http://s1185.photobucket.com/albums/z345/H20Slider/Tree%20Work/?action=view&current 1011040946482.mp4
Here's a picture of the stump from that tree. Took me 3 days to dig it out and had to rent a bigger excavator in the end.
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z345/H20Slider/Equipment/photo2.jpg
I'm in the foothills of W. Washington so there still some tall stuff. The hemlock isn't worth hauling to the mill, and the Doug Fir is pretty low right now that it's shocking when you go to buy it. I was going to finance a woodmiser sawmill for the tree guy but it didn't pan out do to various complications.
Mike M

Decent Doug Fir is difficult to find, isn't it? Even here where the stuff grows.
--
I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I
like fishing because its the one thing I can think of that probably doesnt.

For those in the bay area, Jackel in watsonville has nice new and recycled doug fir; with the new in 8/4 and 10/4. Reclaimed is hit-n-miss.
On Thu, 20 Sep 2012 18:47:42 -0700 (PDT), JayPique

tough on my thumbs... I'd prefer pneumatic, but price *is* an issue, so manual "staple gun" style might be ok if it actually works well. thanx Use a pair of needle nose pliers to hold the staples, thus saving your thumb and forefinger.
Air: I've never seen a pneumatic romex stapler.
Manuals: I've always liked the way Arrow guns work. Try their T-72 model. (Disclaimer: I have no experience with that one here, but have used the T-50 lots and a T-25 once.)
-- I would be the most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. -- Anna Quindlen

You're supposed to use a hammer.

I have the Gardner Bender stapler. It works pretty well, though sometimes it doesn't go in all the way or I need a more substantial staple.
On Thu, 20 Sep 2012 18:47:42 -0700 (PDT), JayPique

tough on my thumbs... I'd prefer pneumatic, but price *is* an issue, so manual "staple gun" style might be ok if it actually works well. thanx

Hold the back of your hand to the wood, the staple between your index and middle finger. It doesn't hurt nearly as much if you hit your hand that way.
Ditto for many nailing situations.