Roller Coaster Sanding Sequence

This is probably a simple question, but I've been sanding a table top for a couple of hours and I keep having to regress on sand paper (that is, I keep finding scratches the current grit will not take and have to return to a previous grit). I'm starting around 50 and going from there. Can someone recommend a sequence that will help to alleviate this roller coaster sanding job? Thanks, Jeb

I'm using both a belt sander and a finishing sander, I can't help but wonder if a 100 grit on belt sander isn't coarser than a 100 grit on the finishing sander. Is there any credibility to this thought?

Reply to
Jeb Sawyer
50 seems pretty coarse to start off with on a 'finishing' job? Any reason?

I usually start with 120 or even 160 depending on the wood and go from there...

-- Regards,

Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews

5 Reviews:

- Ryobi AP13 Planer/Thicknesser

- BeadLOCK Loose Tenon Joinery System

- Hyphone Air Tool Kit & Impact Wrench

- Veritas Basic Grinding Set

- Book: Making Workbenches

Woody

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 15:56:02 +1000, "Woody" Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

Reply to
Traves W. Coppock

Belt sanders heat and harden the surface of the wood. Also, by their design, they lay all uncut fibers down in the same direction. Use of a cabinet scraper or plane is best, though scrapers don't work well on stringy softer woods, followed by sanding with a Random Orbital Sander or an orbital.

For now, I would recommend you break the surface hardening by wiping with a damp rag. Allow to dry, then use your finishing sander.

See what I told you about pressing the uncut fibers down?

Reply to
George

You will keep chasing your tail until hell freezes over.

Find a commercial sander in your area and have them run it thru their 48" wide sander.

$20-$30 and it will be flat, smooth and ready for finishing.

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I don't know about the rest of you, but I usually try to start with just inside the station, then move up to the lift/launch, and then tackle the rest afterward. Only takes a few days on a smaller one, but up to a week on the really big ones. Slap on a fresh coat of paint, and the rails are usually good to go for another season.

Oh...wait a minute! This is the woodworking newsgroup, not rec.roller-coaster! My bad :)

Chris Mo>This is probably a simple question, but I've been sanding a table top

Reply to
Christopher Mooney