Rojek Combination Tool?

Page 2 of 3
"R. Pierce Butler" wrote in message

Is there some place we can see pictures of this precision built furniture?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/29/06

a few thousanths.
Toller (in kzSRg.1509$ snipped-for-privacy@news02.roc.ny) said:
||| I have built items with cut tolerances of 1/32 of an inch or so. ||| I was never happy with the end product. || || Is there some place we can see pictures of this precision built || furniture? || | He never said it was wood. I built a brass cannon once that was | accurate to a few thousanths.
That's pretty impressive! Dare I ask at what range it was so accurate?
said:

6". :) Actually, everything is accurate to within a few thousanths. Whether it is within a few thousanths of where you wanted it is another story.

said:

The precision also depends upon the task. And in some cases, the precision multiplies. By that I mean that the precision of one item affects the accuracy of another.
I have a crosscut sled. If I make four cuts on a piece of wood to make square, a 0.003" error in the fence can cause an error of 0.012" when I am done with the fourth cut.
Right now I am making a 12"x12"x10" box with 1/4" ply, and I'm using a 1/4" box joint on the edges. Inside the box will be a nesting box slightly smaller.
Yeah - 0.001" accuracy helps a lot.

True.
R. Pierce Butler wrote:

I used to spend my day job making electronic machines for $10k's that would allow power presses to be adjusted according a simple "traffic light" setting gauge so any fool could work it. Previously they'd have had "Old Bob" come and listen to it for a while, then hit it with a stick.
Old Bob was often surprisingly accurate, but these factories had maybe 20 lines running at once and Bob only had the one pair of ears to go round.
snipped-for-privacy@codesmiths.com wrote in

Reminds me a story that an former boss told me. He knew a boiler inspector that would go around and inspect the boilers of steam locomotives. This inspector had a 6oz hammer and would tap each of the rivets that held the boiler together. He would then mark the rivets that were broken. He was right 100% of the time. My boss and others tried to figure out what was different between a good and bad rivet using the same hammer. He never did figure it out.
<...snipped...>

Or do you really mean it's a rare occurrence to check for being withing 3/10,000 ?
--
No dumb questions, just dumb answers.
Larry Wasserman - Baltimore, Maryland - lwasserm(@)charm(.)net
Toller wrote:

My infeed & outfeed tables are only about 24" each so the 36" stick works great.
Don't have a copy of White's. Have to check it out next time I'm at the BORG. How does one arrange the mdf & drywall screws to set up the test?
AM Wood

screws in each at the same points. You then take two at a time and adjust the screws so that they meet when the MDF is on its side and the screws are head to head. When the screws are touching on all three pieces, then they have to be exactly in line. Obviously that only gives you three points, but it is enough. If it doesn't make sense (and my synopsis might not) get the book. It tells you how to adjust everything. Maybe not to a 10,000th, but close enough.
A variation on the three plate method of producing a flat surface. It would work.

Toller wrote:

So what's the contradiction? Woodworking tools work fine at those looser tolerances, you might easily measure to something far more precise than that. What's the problem?
There's also the issue that _lots_ of hobby woodworkers (those who aren't surgeons) have a day job that involves aerospace, toolrooms or other high-precision metal bashing. The relaxed tolerance of wood in the evenings is a pleasant contrast to working to sub-thou measurements all day. When you ask someone like this to measure something though, they just reach for the familiar tools out of habit and you get an answer in tenths of a thou.
As to Rojeks, then they're great. I've used them in two different workshops. Nice machines, well thought out design and easy conversion between tasks. Good build quality and accuracy.
If I had a chunk of money to buy new, and was limited for space to put it in, I'd be looking very seriously at a Rojek.

Your last statement nailed it. Toller spends a lot of time with his head in a dark smelly spot. He really doesn't mean to be an ass, he just is some times.

Toller,
I believe Charlie B. has a Rojek X31 combo machine.
cm

Back to the original question
"So, has anyone actually used this machine; or any other Rojek tool? Are there any other similar machines made? I would rather have a somewhat smaller 10" saw for instance."
Yes. In alphabetical order so as not to bias anything
Hammer - a slightly less expensive Felder line Felder - have the unit charges and the paddles ready cause the price tag will stop your heart Mini-Max - getting into my price range Robland - what I actually own - and use
http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/X31.html
Here's mine - in context http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/ShopRightSideMap.html
there are yahoo groups for most of the combis and that'd be a good place to get feedback from actual owners.
Things you might might want to know
Are you pretty methodical when it comes to woodworking? If not, any combi may be a problem for you.
will it take a dado blade?
if you cut dadoes and rabbets/rebates on your saw you'll need fine blade height adjustment. Robland's X31 combi doesn't have that abiltiy - but there's an after market bolt on that'll give it to you.
"drop in and they're set" joiner/planer knives or set yourself (drop in and they're set don't let you move a knife or two when you ding 'em. Being able to move one a little left and another a little right offsets the dings so you get back to smooth surfacing)
bore on the shaper cutter heads 3/4", 1 1/4" Diam or both? More shapes available for 1 1/4" bore
shaper head tiltable or not? Robland's doesn't tilt
joiner/planer cutter head reversable? This is important. iBy being able to reverse the direction you can use standard right hand twist bits - otherwise you have to go with left hand twist bits - which are harder to find and often more expensive.
Important: What's the availability of replacement parts and what's the time delay if the distributor has to order them from the manufacturer? You can't just go down to your local tool store and get parts - even in just a week. (all of these units are made in Europe. If you have to wait two or three months for a cargo container'w worth of parts in order to get YOUR parts it could be a problem)
Just some things to consider.
charlie b

My shop is L shaped. The main room is 9.5' wide; the side room is 7' wide. I could stick the combination machine in the main room so I have plenty of room on either side, but little in front or in back; or in the corner so I have plenty of room in front and to one side, but little the other two directions. Am I likely to be able to use one of these? Rojek told me their footprint is 7'x7', but I don't know how much room is necessary to actually use it.
I found an article in FWW that said that the Robland was lightly made and had poor tolerances. They thought all the others were better. You apparently like the Robland; have they gotten over their problems?
Thanks much.