Rogers News Groups

Page 1 of 2

Rogers news groups turns off in a few hours.
Hopefully those of us stuck with them as a provider will find another way to post.
Giga News?
SuperNews?
Any recommendations for us Kanukistani wreckers?
-- Will R. Jewel Boxes and Wood Art http://woodwork.pmccl.com The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.” George Bernard Shaw
Add pictures here
✖
Switch to Ma Bell's Sympatico. DSL
-- PDQ
--
Rogers news groups turns off in a few hours.
Hopefully those of us stuck with them as a provider will find another way to post.
Giga News?
SuperNews?
Any recommendations for us Kanukistani wreckers?
-- Will R. Jewel Boxes and Wood Art http://woodwork.pmccl.com The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.” George Bernard Shaw
Add pictures here
✖
I have been very happy with GigaNews and have heard nothing but good things about SuperNews. IMO, just stay FAR away for MegaNetNews (MegaNONews is more like it).
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05
Swingman wrote:

Any comments on Easynews from anyone?
http://easynews.com /
-- Will R. Jewel Boxes and Wood Art http://woodwork.pmccl.com The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.” George Bernard Shaw
Add pictures here
✖

The *big* players in outsourced news service are:
SuperNews GigaNews EasyNews
much smaller, but also very good, is: Newsguy
To stay away from:
Meganewsservers -- they operate a number of services under the 'mega-' labels, and, unfortunately, are _really_ lacking in the required skill-sets for those services. I _left_ my prior ISP *because* they switched to "meganews" for their news server service.
A year or so ago, Easynews was having some problems -- news volume had gotten ahead of their system capabilities, and they were trying to play catch up. Which is a somewhat difficult problem, because 'adequate' resources is a moving target. <wry grin>
They _were_ going to get things back under control, it was just a question of how long it was going to take. Until they got back on top of things, Until such time as they do/did get things under control, I couldn't recommend them in good faith, to anyone. I *don't* know -- haven't kept up with -- their current situation, but I strongly suspect that they are 'back in good form'
SuperNews is the 'class act' of the bunch, and is the 'industry standard' against which everybody else is measured -- *especially* with regard to their ability to suppress *almost*all* of the 'spam' and similar pollution of the newsgroups.
I've used Newsguy and SuperNews, they're both first-rate in my experience. No experience with GigaNews or EasyNews, but aside from the _old_ info on EasyNews' tech difficulties, I've heard nothing but _good_stuff_ about both of them.
I haven't heard any body who had *anything*good* to say about Meganewsservers, on the other hand.
Add pictures here
✖
Robert Bonomi wrote:

Thanks. Seems to confirm my suspicions...
I would have preferred Easynews -- but the billing doesn't work for business purposes. Supernews or GigaNews I guess. Rogers should shut off any hour/minute/second now. I'll get every byte I can -- considering they just reduced the value of the service by about 20% per year and will be collecting the same money. :-(
You have a slightly different take than these guys -- but close enough -- eh?
http://www.newsgroupservers.net /
-- Will R. Jewel Boxes and Wood Art http://woodwork.pmccl.com The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.” George Bernard Shaw
Add pictures here
✖
I would have preferred Easynews -- but the billing doesn't work for business purposes. Supernews or GigaNews I guess. Rogers should shut off any hour/minute/second now. I'll get every byte I can -- considering they just reduced the value of the service by about 20% per year and will be collecting the same money. :-(
For almost a year, I used the unlimited news service of Agent Premium News who are the makers of Forte Agent, the newsreader. At approximately $20 CA a month and with their much higher bitrate than the metered news service provided by Rogers, I'll be going back to them.
It doesn't bother me much that Rogers is discontinuing Usenet, but what does exasperate me is that they're doing it while continuing to charge exactly the same monthly fee. I'm currently looking around for a suitable DSL replacement at which point I'll tell them to F off. And now that TV signals are available from Sympatico through the phone wires, I may get around to dumping their cable TV service too.
Add pictures here
✖
Upscale wrote:

I have those same thoughts you know. TV, Cells, Internet -- all outside in the trash can...
-- Will R. Jewel Boxes and Wood Art http://woodwork.pmccl.com The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.” George Bernard Shaw
Add pictures here
✖
.

Wrote complaint to Rogers about not getting at least a discount since they were canceling a service which as far as I'm concerned was part of the contract when I signed up and for which I now have to pay - received the usual corporate form letter response - no rebate because nobody uses newsgroups anymore ! - my tough luck for going with Rogers I guess & should have stuck with Sympatico
We can always vote with our feet Bob
Add pictures here
✖
Bob < wrote:

Which has nothing to do with nothing...

Not where I am.
Nut someday when the wireless hits...
-- Will R. Jewel Boxes and Wood Art http://woodwork.pmccl.com The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.” George Bernard Shaw
Add pictures here
✖

Don't know about them at all

That's what I'm using, I've had them for over a year and have had very good luck with them.

Stay away from Teranews. Both the free and pay services. That applies whether you are Kanukistani or SomewhereElseistani. Unreliable service (at least 8 months ago this was true), poor technical support, binary groups were mostly unreadable through Direcway broadband, but worked through concentric dial-up. Don't know whose problem it was, just know I couldn't read binary (abpw) postiings.
✖
I use Supernews. No complaints.
But why not walk to Rogers' competition and tell them why you're doing it?

✖
Rogers news groups turns off in a few hours.
Hein... where did you hear this??? This really suck if it's for real...
Christian
Add pictures here
✖
Christian wrote:

They sent us an email two weeks ago...
----------- Please be advised that Rogers is discontinuing its Usenet service as of December 15, 2005.
Internet technology is constantly changing. Usenet was one of the earliest forms of user discussion on the Internet, but today has largely been replaced by blogs, instant messaging, personal web pages and other tools. As a result, fewer and fewer people are accessing Usenet.
Therefore, Rogers has decided to stop providing Usenet service to Rogers Yahoo! customers.
Alternatives
To stay at the leading edge of new technology, we’ve introduced new and better ways to communicate – all available at no additional charge to Rogers Yahoo! customers:
Instant messaging
http://ca.messenger.yahoo.com /
Groups
http://ca.groups.yahoo.com /
Personal web pages
http://ca.geocities.yahoo.com /
Blogs
http://360.yahoo.com /
Photos
http://ca.photos.yahoo.com /
Customers with a continuing desire to read or post Usenet text messages or who wish to access Usenet binary groups can subscribe to third-party Usenet service providers such as Giganews (our supplier up until the point when we discontinue Usenet) who offer a full Usenet service on a paid basis: http://www.giganews.com /
Once again, thank you for your loyalty to Rogers and your continued business.
--------------
-- Will R. Jewel Boxes and Wood Art http://woodwork.pmccl.com The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.” George Bernard Shaw
Add pictures here
✖
WillR wrote:

Forgot to mention to all...
SYMPATICO is _not_ available here.
We maintain Sympatico dial up to maintain old email -- but that's all.
WIFI Broadband 100MHz or better is a few months away yet... (community owned and operated)
There is no effective Rogers competition yet -- we are in the sticks in North York Region of Ontario -- bordering Brock County -- nothing here but gophers bears and a few igloos.
-- Will R. Jewel Boxes and Wood Art http://woodwork.pmccl.com The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.” George Bernard Shaw
Add pictures here
✖

In the meantime, then, I'd go with Supernews. You can get a one month free trial, then get a monthly account until you get a new ISP.
Something else you can do is complain to the CRTC...
--
The moral difference between a soldier and a civilian is that the soldier
accepts personal responsibility for the safety of the body politic of which he

No mooses...err..meese?
Add pictures here
✖
scribbled:

We have all of those as well as Sympatico "service", right here in Canada's True North.
Luigi Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/humour.html www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/antifaq.html http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Woodworking
Add pictures here
✖
forgot to mention, if you spend an afternoon down tthis road, you'll find free suppliers, notes about best software. Some are text only, some are html (a different animal I've never seen) - can anyone expain this? Is it possible to use rogers server to read news with IE, not OE after midnight , some are this and that...
today I typed in usenet, news, giganews into the newgroup name filter search and read all the info. Theres about 75 minutes left.
Add pictures here
✖
and how long messages take to post is another stat worth looking at. Some are I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today.
Add pictures here
✖