Rockwell Table Saw Restoration

I just bought a Rockwell Model 10 Contractor table saw and am currently getting it ready to use. I want to tear it down and clean it, paint the CI and rewire it for 110v. One question I have is about the shafts inside. How do I clean and polish these up? WD40 & elbow grease? How do I keep them from corroding again? There is a light layer of rust on them now. Also, what parts do I need to grease (what kind) in the saw cabinet?

I also want to add a better switch on the front. I saw one at Grizzly for about $12-13. I don't have the money right now to buy a nice mag motor starter switch. Eventually, I will find a good unisaw to restore and I'll add a mag switch to that when the time comes.

One idea I have for the table top is to use gun bluing to blue the top. I got that from a local millshop worker.

Any guidance?

Steve

Reply to
rockymtns99

Keep the parts dry and they should not rust. The top can be kept from rusting and you will get a slicker surface if you use TopCote. A lot less effort and TopCote was made for this purpose.

Reply to
Leon

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Thanks! I've joined OWWM. Pretty cool!

Reply to
rockymtns99

Wet sand with WD40. I've taken heavy rust off old iron, and it never returns.

Reply to
Father Haskell

Wire brush (I like a pneumatic die-grinder with 2" wheel, personally) will take off anything loose, a bit of twine and some mild abrasive (metal polish) will also help. If you can take it apart, a bench grinder with wire wheel is good.

I like to heat the metal bits and rub down with a parafin-soaked rag, but paste wax is also good for keeping rust at bay. If it can't be disassembled, just rub with a bit of boiled linseed oil.

Reply to
whit3rd