Rockwell International 46-111 wood lathe value

I was wondering if someone could let me know what a Rockwell Inter.

46-111 wood lathe is worth. The prices that I have found are from a 1973 catalog, the lathe was $139.99, the lathe and stand was $199.99 and a 1/2 hp motor was $64.99. I haven't seen the lathe yet so don't know the condition so I am figuring avarage condition for everything, the prices that I come to are, lathe and stand: $75, motor: $15.00, tools: $5.00 all totalling $95.00. Is that a fare price or should I figure in something else? The seller is asking $350.
Reply to
mountainGJ

SNIP

I personally wouldn't touch that lathe for that price. You would get great utility value out of that lathe for $150... but I wouldn't pay more. It has a small (low torque) motor, very small swing (turnable diameter over the ways) and is not made for much more than light spindle turning. The castings, although nicely finished, are lightweight and prone to flex. Can you tell I have some personal experience with this lathe?

It was a nice little lathe in its time, but it is simply too light weight for someone that wants to really get out and turn all manner of things on a lathe.

I think your money would be better spent with a Jet mini or something similar, and you will still have some money left out of the $350 asking price to buy some more tools.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Although I haven't seen that lathe for sale, there were two locally that you can browse the ads for. Maybe that'll give you some basis of comparison. These ads are from Ottawa Canada.

second one has some tools included.

Reply to
Tanus

On Jan 29, 5:19 pm, Tanus wrote: :

I would sure take another look at that first one. It is a dead ringer for the 46-111. It may be a variant, but that is essentially the same lathe.

The reason you don't see that old lathe anymore is that they quit making them about 30 years ago when Rockwell got out of the medium sized shop tools and went to a mix of all professional heavy duty tools, and all consumer junk.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Thank you for your suggestions and input. I really appreciate it. I think, unless the seller comes down with his asking price to around $100, I'm going to look elsewhere. I'm new to using lathes and don't have a lot of money but I also don't want to pay $350 for something that is over 30 years old and possibly a piece of junk.

Thanks again, Gary

Reply to
mountainGJ

SNIP

Gary - I am sure we are all glad to help as we can. But if you are still following this, get over to the woodturning newsgroup:

rec.crafts.woodturning

It is carried by just about everyone and is dedicated to turning. The archives are great and are easily searchable with Google.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Thank your the heads up. At your suggestion I am now a subscriber ot rec.crafts.woodturning. I'll look around and see what I can find.

Gary

Reply to
mountainGJ

replying to mountainGJ, wood turner wrote: I know that this comment was posted a while ago but do you by any chance still have your 46-111 lathe and the parts to it? Or if you don't have it do you know anybody who has replacement parts? Thanks

Reply to
wood turner

replying to wood turner, Woodworker's Daughter wrote: We do. Still researching the lathe and all the parts, tools, etc. From dad's workshop.

Reply to
Woodworker's Daughter

replying to wood turner, Tommullins12 wrote: I do i have an original i want off my hands.. No stand or motor. But you can have the rest for 80 bucks out the door. snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com or 7403619414.. Look forward to your business

Reply to
Tommullins12

Do you still have the Rockwell Delta 111 lathe you want to sell? You can reply to me at snipped-for-privacy@gilahot.com or phone 575 536-9749. Thanks, Dean

Reply to
BRA

At some twelve years down the road, I do not think putting my phone number on usenet (which Homeowners hub use as free content) is a smart thing to do.

Reply to
Markem

IF I were going to spend $350 on 47yr old lathe, I think I would put another $50 with it and go for the Harbor Freight Jet 1242 knock off. I have had that lathe and its serviceable. If you happen to get one of their 25% off coupons, that drops the price to around $300. BTW, that $265 in 1973 (lathe, stand and motor) would be $1,546.00 today.

Reply to
Dr. Deb