Rockwell Beaver Lathe

Is anyone familiar with the Rockwell Beaver 3-in. gap lathe, series 3100, made in Guelph, Ontario? I'm interested to know when it would have been sold. I'm assuming shortly after 1953 when Rockwell acquired the Guelph plant from Callander Foundry & Mfg. Co. because this was the first series of lathe sold by Rockwell Beaver.
Also, any ideas on any modifications I should make to create a good woodturning machine?
Steve
Is anyone familiar with the Rockwell Beaver 36" Gap Lathe series 3100 manufactured in Guelph, Ontario? I'm wondering when it would have been manufactured.
Steve
Check out the Old Woodworking Machines group at http://www.owwm.com/ and http://discussion.oldwwmachines.com /. They have a copy of the owners manual, and lots of knowledge. Tell them the serial number and they can get close to the manufacture date.
Steve A wrote:

For the most part this is true but not in all cases. If ever there was a manual to be had on line it would be on the OWWM.

This is not true. The machines built at the Guelph plant had a different serial numbering scheme than the machines built at the Milwaukee and Tupelo plants. Same goes for Delta/Rockwell machines built at the old Walker-Turner plant in Plainfield, the radial arm saws built at the Norwalk, OH plant and any machines built at the Crescent plant in Leetonia, OH. No serial numbering lists have been found for those plants.
It is possible to eye ball the vintage based on some good pictures and a good description though. Probably the best that can be done is to get within a ten year span. It ain't great but it's better than cutting the machine apart and counting the rings.
Unisaw A-100
I was wrong, the SIN plate says "3400 series". The name plate says "Rockwell International Company of Canada Ltd" in small print at the top, then "Beaver Power Tools" in big letters in the middle, with Guelph, Canada at the bottom.
This one belongs to someone else, but it is my lathe. http://www.workshopbuzz.com/class/detail.php?siteids0
Steve