Rockwell 20" bandsaw 28-340 and Tracking Trauma!

Hi all I have a good question for you. Our bandsaw have been working for however many years with apparently the wrong sized tires for the wheels. This was throwing the alignment vertically off, pushing on the arm and burning holes through the throat plates. I set out to have the tool fixed (-$300). It was the end of term so the tool got no use until now when I turn it on the tool does not hold onto the blade at all. There is no way to delicately adjust the pitch to have the blade stay on..plus due to how the tool is configured it is impossible to see if the wheels are aligned.

Has anyone seen this happen on their bandsaw. The repairman now wants to grind of the tires he put on (-$500) and the try to fix it from there (-$200-?!). He has us over a barrel.

HelP!!

Wood Chip

Reply to
roxanaroxana1

Looking at the schematic, I'm wondering if the beast is not designed for flat tires and the guy put crowned tires on it. Seems like the old Powermatic up at the college was built that way.

Reply to
George

Sounds like you have a parts-changer instead of a repairman. I wouldn't throw good money after bad until I had found someone who knows what he's doing, or is at least willing to stand behind his work.

DonkeyHody "He who lieth down with dogs waketh up with fleas."

Reply to
DonkeyHody

I think your guy doing the repairs may be raking you over the coals. If I sent my wheels in to Laguna they charge something like $75 to correctly replace the tires.

Reply to
Leon

Is your repairman from an authorized Delta service center?

Call Delta, ask for tech service, and if they can't help you ask them to refer you to an Authorized service center that still has an old time service tech working for them. Should be able to walk you through a tracking adjustment.

Delta/Rockwell 20" has been discontinued for quite some time, but there are still folks out there that know the machine.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

Go to

and put that same question out to the crowd. There are several people in the group that use and own that saw.

I'n sure you can get some decent answers to your problem.

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber

Thank you all. Some great suggestions. I will research some more on the actual tires it needs. Seems that may cause the problem or may have damaged the tool from years of misuse.

Yes, I am being taken on the grand tour. With this repairman. I will give Delta a ring and see what they can do...before I "throw" ths tool out the nearest window.

W. Chip

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Reply to
Chip