Rockler Visit

Page 3 of 6

On a billboard in 1971. Boeing had been badly hit by cancellation of the SST. Company I worked for in Oregon got hit by cancellation of a Boeing contract. Reverberated all over the PNW.

I lived in Toledo at the time and a friend bought a watch reputedly stolen during the riots: an "Eglin" :(.

I remember a bumper sticker that was unique to those northern license plates. Last one out, turn out the lights!

I think the "NATIVE TEXAN" bumper sticker was born as a result of the northern invasion.
Dave in Houston
Leon wrote:

Since it's the "same workers" it tells me more about design and management rather than workers "spoiled with over paid jobs".
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

It tells me that the Honda and Toyota could afford more R&D and better quality products because employee benefits were not choking the ever living day lights out of all the profit. 5 years ago it was reported that GM was paying in excess of $3K per car built just to pay for employee benefits, that did not include their pay.
Leon wrote:

Wages and benefits for the Toyota and Honda US workers are pretty much on par with those of the UAW workers. Some items from:
http://www.aftermarketnews.com/Item/28594/uaw_losing_pay_edge_foreign_automakers_bonuses_boost_wages_in_us_plants_as_detroit_car_companies_struggle.aspx
"Toyota Motor Corp. gave workers at its largest U.S. plant bonuses of $6,000 to $8,000, boosting the average pay at the Georgetown, KY, plant to the equivalent of $30 an hour. That compares with a $27 hourly average for UAW workers, most of whom did not receive profit-sharing checks last year."
"Workers for foreign automakers don't pay union dues, but they do share the costs of insurance and retirement plans. UAW-represented autoworkers get health insurance and a full pension after 30 years -- valuable perks they will fight to keep during contract negotiations this year.
But even accounting for Toyota employees' health care spending -- $700 per year on average, according to the company -- the Georgetown workers still made more in 2006."
"Honda Motor Co. and Nissan Motor Co. are not far behind Toyota and UAW pay levels. Comparable wages have long been one way foreign companies fight off UAW organizing efforts."
"Toyota pays high wages in part to avoid the UAW," Shaiken said, adding that economists would refer to Toyota's high wages as the "union threat effect," meaning companies pay union-comparable wages to fend off organizing efforts and the risk of a strike."
"Assembly workers for Detroit automakers last year remained a bit ahead of Honda's U.S. hourly workers, who made an average $24.25 an hour, or $26.20 with the $4,485 bonus they received. In November, Honda paid bonuses for the 21st consecutive year, the longest streak in U.S. auto history, said Ed Miller, Honda spokesman.
Nissan workers are paid $24 an hour in Mississippi and $26 an hour in Tennessee, but company officials would not disclose employee bonuses.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
Leon wrote:

That I don't know but I found this interesting:
"Toyota Motor Corporations health care costs have doubled over the past five years to more than $11,000 a year per U.S. worker. In its newest plant, The Detroit News reports,(2) Toyota has taken a new approach, building a clinic at the factory that provides services, including vision checks, dental care, laboratory tests, physical therapy, and even pediatric care. Companies adopting such practices spend more up front for primary care and drugs, but the cost is more than offset by a drop in costly hospitalization and specialty care expenses. On-site clinics are also expected to reduce absenteeism. Moreover, Toyota clinic physicians will not be remunerated on the basis of how many patients they seethe U.S. health care systems prevailing payment structurebut rather encourage more time with doctors."
http://www.kltprc.net/horizon/Chpt_15.htm
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Seeing as they are on the company's payroll, somebody's interests will be served more? The patient?

Wow. What's next? I owe my soul to the company store?
Dave in Houston
"Nova" wrote:

That's how Kaiser got started in WWII.
Lew

Health care benefits cost the auto industry so much money that earlier this year I heard someone refer to GM as a health care provider that happens to make cars.
Dave in Houston
Dave in Houston wrote:

Sounds like the guy who took over GM as CEO (before Obama [who doesn't want to run the car companies] fired him.
He made the comment that he came to GM expecting to run a car company. When he got there, he realized he was running a pension plan that built cars.

[snipped for brevity]

I will accept the bulk of your argument. We'll ignore those free- loaders who want big fat paycheques for doing as little as possible...I believe they are in the low percentages.
Most people would rather do a good job. Those same people take pride in their work and feel better about their paycheques.
scritch wrote: Want to live and work in

Not quite yet!
--
Jack
Leon wrote:

And the amazing thing was that the construction site fan which was keeping us from heat stroke, and which periodically took its own rest break due to the 106 degree temperature in central Texas, was louder by far than the Festool "shop vac".
The combination sander and vac was pretty cool ... well, not quite "cool", but nifty as hell. :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Wow!
That got my attention.
Hmmmm....$$$$.....$$$$....hmmm....
Regards,

YEAH!!!!!!
Hmmmm....$$$$.....$$$$....hmmm....
D'ju hear that Swingman? ROTFL
Tom Watson wrote:

Here are some of those FF's that got Leon's Festool treatment
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/13525-1.jpg
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/13525-2.jpg
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/13525-3.jpg
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/13525-4.jpg
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/13525-5.jpg
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/13525-6.jpg
Leon and I were in this new residential construction all day for three days this week, in 104 + degree heat, no AC, installing these boxes. Photos were taken as we left late yesterday afternoon for the 150 mile trek back to our respective shops, and the relative cool of the Gulf Coast.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08