Rockler's

Page 1 of 3

Just a note to commend Rockler's for being on the ball with their operation.
Responded to one of their e-mail ads Tuesday night (around 11PM) and ordered two of their machine bases, a Roller Ball Stand and a couple of other items which were on sale.
Free ground shipping, good price, who could ask for more?
Due to the lateness of the hour the order was dated Wednesday and about 11:00AM this morning Spee Dee Delivery service dropped off two boxes from Rockler's Medina, MN distribution center.
Nice folks to do business with. Over the years I've been happy with their service in the store, nice to know they have a heads up operation going with the mail order as well.
The only time I've bought from them was when I needed some 15mm Forstner bits. The price was quite reasonable, and the service good, and they had an item I couldn't find anywhere else.
--Steve
Unquestionably Confused wrote:

Second that. My first dealings were mail order -- can't recall what or when -- then I "discovered" a retail outlet about 15 miles away, in Arlington, Texas. Oh, that was a BIG mistake! Last time I was there, about a week ago, I spent $355 on SPECIALS, things I never knew I needed. ;-)
Always some guys minding the store that are knowlegable and interested in me and my latest project. So we bat the fat, banter, mull over options, and I walk out with the stuff that fits the project (and, yes, a little extra). Even the 7-yr-old grandson and 5-yr-old granddaughter enjoy going to the place.
Jim Stuyck
All is lost! I'm doomed! It turns out Rockler has a store a mere 110 miles away in Pleasanton CA.
I wish you hadn't mentioned they had retail stores! :-) Now I hafta go see.
--Steve
Jim Stuyck wrote:

on 3/17/2005 5:34 PM Steve said the following:

AND in store specials. AND helpful folks that will make sure you get full value on their XX% off the highest priced item, etc.
As I said, nice folks. Nice folks at Woodcraft as well, FWIW.
And yes, you are doomed.<g>

You think 60 miles from a Lee Valley is easy to deal with? Especially as I visit the city ( London, ON) sometimes twice a week?
Rockler has some overlap with Lee Valley... but they have power tools...
............ohhhhhhhhhhh shit. Lookie here.. A Rockler store even closer than Lee Valley.. http://www.rockler.com/retail/index.cfm?&store=8 50 miles from my house.
*slaps self*.. I have some quotes to work on..gotto go...
Robatoy wrote:

I've been happy with all my mail order purchases from Rockler, Constantines, Lee Valley, and the Japan Woodworker, and with what I bought in person at Woodcraft.
I just checked at that link and at WoodCraft and could not find a Stanley 271 router, does anyone still sell them?
I think I can get an older one for $45.
--

FF

on 3/18/2005 2:17 PM snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net said the following:

Google it or go to eBay. There are probably a dozen or so listed on eBay right now including a couple that appear to be NOS or NIB. None of them was very expensive at this point. One that appeared to be NOS had two days left and hadn't hit $35 yet. You might get lucky.
on 3/18/2005 2:27 PM Unquestionably Confused said the following:

Damn, gotta watch that.
My bad! I Googled the 271 but the hit that I snatched up lead me to the eBay listings for the No. 71. Forget, the only thing they have related to the 271 is a manual for both the 71 & 271. Still, some nice 71's there if you're interested.
Unquestionably Confused wrote:

I have two of those as well as one each of the Sargent and MIllers Falls equivalent. They must not be nearly as useful as the 271s since so many are available.
I'd rather pay $45 from a reputable dealer than take a chance on eBay for $35. I bought too many "complete and undamaged" planes on eBay that had missing and broken parts, typically on the side not in the picture.
The 271s made in England were still available for around $20 back befor the turn of the millenium.
Looks like they're still being made, someone has to sell them: http://www.stanleytools.com/default.asp?CATEGORY=PLANES&TYPE=PRODUCT&PARTNUMBER -271&SDesc=Router+Plane Unfortunately, their dealer locator is not product specific. So it is no help.
At least the good part is that there isn't anything on it they'd DARE to make out of plastic.
--

FF

scribbled:

Ah, I'm safe. None in Alaska, Seattle is the closest. Whew!
Luigi Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/humour.html www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/antifaq.html

Vancouver has a Lee Valley...don't you come into Vancouver with your sled-dogs to buy provisions and lamp oil?
*G*
scribbled:

Edmonotone is closer. Besides, Vancouver is usually tough sledding on account of no snow.
Luigi Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/humour.html www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/antifaq.html
Luigi Zanasi wrote:

Lots of "snow " in Gastown or the East End.
Don't know if it's any good for sledding tho.

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek

Yeah, I hear all the HPS and MH lights from all the indoor hydroponics gardens have transformed it into a tropical climate.

Since they opened the Rockler about 15 miles from my house last year I have bought:
A Dust Collector A 14" bandsaw A router table with legs A bicsuit joiner The complete dovetail jig set Miter guage with extended fence
and countless other smaller items adding up to about $100 per visit! Someone help me....Please!
R. Barker wrote:

Sorry, I don't lend money to strangers or tool woodworking addicts<g>
"R. Barker" wrote in message

No kidding. I've got one less than two miles from me and the pull equates to a force of nature ... but just imagine the angst if we weren't so hell bent on making their business profitable.
I will say this about their "hardware" side, they always seem to have what I need (well, except for that one time when they didn't have boxes of 500 count 1/12" pocket hole screws). My trim carpenter gave me a shopping list yesterday morning and instead of following my usual route and driving way the hell across town I took a shot, stopped by Rockler, and damned if they didn't have everything I needed, including 50' rolls of birch banding at a competitive price.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04
R. Barker wrote:

Wait until you get to the point where the sales person knows what type of woodworking you do and, when something goes on sale that the sales person thinks you might be interested in, they call you at home to see if you would like one set aside.
DAMHIKT.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

You too? Do they all know your customer number/telephone number? Are they all qualified to give advice to folks who come in there to buy gift certificates on your behalf?
Do they ask you to help other customers with projects while they go to find your special order stuff in the back?
And, more importantly, do you have this kind of relationship with several shops?
Do Betty Ford have a suitable clinic in Arizona somewhere for us, before it's too late?
Patriarch