Rockler hlvp sprayer opinion wanted

Rockler has this HVLP Spray Gun (61577), Reg. $99.99 - SALE $79.99. I would appreciate your opinion of this unit. I just want some thing for my home wood shop. I won't be doing any heavy duty stuff. Thanks

Reply to
Pat

I've heard good things about the porter cable hvlp gun, and I think that's less at amazon.

I've not been real impressed with rockler's prices. They seem very much into "mark it up to mark it down".

brian

Reply to
brianlanning

Reply to
Bill Hall

The P-C you refer to is a gun. The Rockler unit is a full HVLP unit, including turbine. This is clear as mud on their web site, and in the promotional email. But I've seen it in the store, and if you download the manual for the unit (that is variously referred to as a gun or a spray system), you'll find that it includes the turbine.

I've pretty much ignored this product because of the dual principles of "if it looks too good to be true, it's probably not true", and "you get what you pay for".

OP: I'll be watching this thread -- if others have experience that it does a good job for infrequent light use, I might have to grab one. Only a fool would buy one expecting to get a Turbineair or Fuji for

1/10 the price.
Reply to
alexy

ah, big difference there.

I agree completely, since all the turbine systems I've seen are in the hundreds of dollars range.

brian

Reply to
brianlanning

I bought one, and shot an entire kitchen's worth of cabinets and doors with water-based poly. I got surprisingly excellent results with poly straight out of the can. There is a bit of a learning curve, since there is only one adjustment.

-Caveat- Unlike other HVLP setups I have seen, expect some overspray. You can't regulate the airflow, only the material. If you turn down the material flow too far, you won't get good coverage.

I have not yet tried any other materials through it.

Reply to
gw