Rockler Combination Square

Has anyone used the Rockler Combination Square ($40)? I'm in the market for a new one. I've heard that Starrett is the best - what would the differences be?

Reply to
Andy

Care to share those brands please? I would like to know... these cheapies you can get at any hardware store are pretty bad, like I bought the Johnsons ones, great square head but the rule is poorly stamped inaccurate soft stainless. I think the current Stanleys are the best of the cheapies, coated spring steel rules on those.

Reply to
AAvK

I considered that one, but they don't explain the rule further than "stainless", if it's not hardened (at least), all soft and bendy, then it's not worth it... wish I knew of the great one for the low money.

Reply to
AAvK

Mititoyo and Brown&Sharp are the first to mind. I have had a Mititoyo for eighteen years now (use it in a machine shop) and it is still great. Neither of these is greatly less expensive than Starret but Mititoyo rules are far easier to read, better engraving and finish. I can hold parts to +/- .005 with a Mititoyo rule, much harder to do with Starret. In the lower price range, Craftsman used to have a good one. Look for their machinist's tools, not woodworking. General, too, used to be good. I say used to be because I haven't really checked in some years. May very well still be. Any of the above will be far superior to hardware store grade Stanley's, ect.

Reply to
CW

I just noticed Highland Hardware has a whole set (3 heads and blade) for the same price as the Rockler - has anyone used this one?

Reply to
Andy

eBay is a good place to get something like this as long as you know the going price for a new one. I've gotten both my Starretts off ebay as well as a number of dividers and calipers for my turning.

When searching I only look for Starrett, Brown & Sharpe, and Mitutoyo. You could also include Scherr Tumico (American made and excellent quality.) For older stuff I feel confident adding Millers Falls.

BTW, Starrett will recalibrate a square for what I thought was a pretty fair price. My 6" combo was off - they replaced the screw-hold down and nut, resquared, and sent a new scribe that I requested, for something on the order of $30 total including shipping back a few years ago.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

Thanks, I have also seen "PEC Tools" USA on the 'net but they seem to be priced the same as Starret or more. Somewhat scant availability. They look seriously nice. I can get the Starret 12" 4r for about the same $'s as PEC's 6".

PEC tools:

AAvK

If you're interested, FWW did a review of many from expensive to cheap a couple(?) of years ago. Covered all the varieties mentioned so far, I believe I recall...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

I definitely prohibit you from buying such foreign matter. And pertinent to my previous reply to CW, THIS is the awesome price which I didn't know about:

this one:
I'd get the PEC.

Reply to
AAvK

Actually, my mistake. that PEC one is a two piece, the Sears is a four piece.

Reply to
AAvK

They state 2 piece, but I count 4 in the photo.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Yeah right but that price is the give, not for a four piece.

Reply to
AAvK

I have one of the Highland Hardware 3 piece squares and like it very much. Ruler is very good though I see minor places is could be better. George in Warner Robins, GA

and this one:

> But I'd get the PEC.

Reply to
George H Hughes

I have a 3 piece one from Highland Hardware.... George in Warner Robins, GA

Reply to
George H Hughes

Here's a really trippy old combo square:

just don't make'um like they used-ta!

Reply to
AAvK