Rockler Combination Square

Has anyone used the Rockler Combination Square ($40)? I'm in the market for a new one. I've heard that Starrett is the best - what would the differences be?
Squareness, fit and finish, clarity of graduations, longevity. BTW, there are a number of brands that equal or exceed Starret quality, most less expensive (but not by much).

Care to share those brands please? I would like to know... these cheapies you can get at any hardware store are pretty bad, like I bought the Johnsons ones, great square head but the rule is poorly stamped inaccurate soft stainless. I think the current Stanleys are the best of the cheapies, coated spring steel rules on those.
--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

there
Johnsons
coated

Thanks, I have also seen "PEC Tools" USA on the 'net but they seem to be priced the same as Starret or more. Somewhat scant availability. They look seriously nice. I can get the Starret 12" 4r for about the same $'s as PEC's 6".
PEC tools: http://www.productsengineering.com /
http://www.nolansupply.com/catdisplay.asp?category=Precision+Tools#Squares
--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
AAvK wrote:

If you're interested, FWW did a review of many from expensive to cheap a couple(?) of years ago. Covered all the varieties mentioned so far, I believe I recall...

eBay is a good place to get something like this as long as you know the going price for a new one. I've gotten both my Starretts off ebay as well as a number of dividers and calipers for my turning.
When searching I only look for Starrett, Brown & Sharpe, and Mitutoyo. You could also include Scherr Tumico (American made and excellent quality.) For older stuff I feel confident adding Millers Falls.
BTW, Starrett will recalibrate a square for what I thought was a pretty fair price. My 6" combo was off - they replaced the screw-hold down and nut, resquared, and sent a new scribe that I requested, for something on the order of $30 total including shipping back a few years ago.
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

I considered that one, but they don't explain the rule further than "stainless", if it's not hardened (at least), all soft and bendy, then it's not worth it... wish I knew of the great one for the low money.
--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
I just noticed Highland Hardware has a whole set (3 heads and blade) for the same price as the Rockler - has anyone used this one?

I definitely prohibit you from buying such foreign matter. And pertinent to my previous reply to CW, THIS is the awesome price which I didn't know about: (Amazon.com product link shortened)16684932/sr=1-35/ref=sr_1_35/103-5973910-5972627?v=glance&s=hi and this one: http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid938643000&subcat=Precision+Tools
But I'd get the PEC.
--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
I have one of the Highland Hardware 3 piece squares and like it very much. Ruler is very good though I see minor places is could be better. George in Warner Robins, GA

(Amazon.com product link shortened)16684932/sr=1-35/ref=sr_1_35/103-5973910-5972627?v=glance&s=hi
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid938643000&subcat=Precision+Tools

Actually, my mistake. that PEC one is a two piece, the Sears is a four piece.
--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

They state 2 piece, but I count 4 in the photo.

Yeah right but that price is the give, not for a four piece.
--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
I have a 3 piece one from Highland Hardware.... George in Warner Robins, GA
<snip>

Here's a really trippy old combo square:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&itema79819105
They just don't make'um like they used-ta!