Rockler

Page 5 of 6
On 9/23/2012 7:58 AM, Puckdropper wrote:

Heres my Hauppauge WinTV setup I use when holding open houses on Sunday's in new construction that has no internet or TV.
The little radio shack antenna is active and really works well, although I'm not all that far from most of local OTA broadcasts:
https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/EWoodShopMiscellaneous#5791463145054408706
The OTA HD viewed content on that little laptop, with none of the compression cable providers add, is much soooombetter than you get on cable.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Pretty cool.
Saaaay, isn't that a house plant on top of an electronic device? One which gets _watered_? <wink, wink, nudge, nudge>
-- Never trouble another for what you can do for yourself. -- Thomas Jefferson
On 9/23/2012 4:15 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

What's it to you, Bubba? It's mine, it's _my_ lucky Chinese bamboo, I water it, no one else is allowed near it, that's where I want the sunnuvabitch, and that's where it farking stays.
IOW, mind your own damn business, C_less ... :D
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

OK, live dangerously. See if I care.

Aw, you love it that I care. Fess up!
I just finished taking one of the online continuing ed classes I need for my contractor's license renewal. Boy, those bldg codes are sure fun.
Time for a good book.
-- Never trouble another for what you can do for yourself. -- Thomas Jefferson
On 9/23/2012 6:43 PM, Swingman wrote:

I forgot about your ahhumm, antenna stand. Good thing you did not make too much fun of my satellite dish platform at my sisters house. ;~)
On 9/24/2012 8:38 AM, Leon wrote:

Hell, it could have been used as hook to pick up the house.
Took a sawzall, a corded impact driver, a sparkplug socket with a long handled ratchet, two men, and twenty minutes to get it demolished ... we were afraid the house was going to tip over before we finished.
Still, it was easier than getting that kitchen "cabinet" out, and back in again, that you built/installed for her twenty years ago. :)
Gave "built to last/belt and suspenders" a new meaning ...
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Swingman wrote:

From what I understand, getting UHF stations is not so hard as getting VHF ones. They correspond, I believe, to the part of the antenna with "circular metal ring". And people are packaging them up those antennas for big money! I would have payed $100 for an antenna, if that's what I needed. But for an unamplified indoor antenna, I think that the rabbit ears may be (bigger and) better--at least as far as receiving signals goes. I get more stations than antennaweb.org suggested that I was going to get. Of course, someone who is "serious" wants a "roof top" antenna.
That was a nice idea you had--putting TV in new houses that you show!
Bill

https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/EWoodShopMiscellaneous#5791463145054408706
BTW, I'm glad it didn't bother anyone that I misspelled TV in the subject line! : ) Of coure, "Cable TB" has it's own irony.
Swingman wrote:

https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/EWoodShopMiscellaneous#5791463145054408706
What brand of computer? Looks like my old Averatec I've been nursing along for years.
--
G.W. Ross

Preserve nature... pickle a squirrel.
On 9/24/2012 1:58 PM, G. Ross wrote:

A Dell XPS M1210 ... built like a tank about six years ago, it is one of the most trouble free boxes I've ever owned. Dell does not make them like this any more.
Did have the mother board replaced by Dell a couple of years back, but that is the only problem its ever had.
And, it's been running ... badaboommm .... <wait for it> ...... Vista! <gasp> for all that time without a hiccup. :)
Go figure ...
(I was sysadmin for 12 years for upwards of twenty geographically separated dns, nntp, http, and mail servers for a number of years, as well as moonlighting setting up and administering networking (all NT based) for a number of small companies during that time, so yes ... I do know/appreciate the difference) :~>
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 9/23/2012 12:42 AM, Bill wrote:

We watched broadcast TV in Central Indiana from the "switch to digital" until last year, and always had plenty of stations and programs programs to select.
We now live about 20 miles east of Raleigh NC and find the the situation is the same, we have over a dozen over-the-air channel to pick from.
Bill wrote:

Here is my post, rewritten:
Besides being cheap, foam brushes come in multiple sizes.
My last two times through Rockler's cashier, I was offered a glue brush. The first time I asked hesitantly, "are they free?" and it was explained that they were $4.99 (IIRC). I passed. I later realized that they were too small for most of my purposes anyway.
The markup on those must be outstanding...same as the bench cookies. Next thing you know, Harbor Freight and Rockler may join forces.
[The markup had nothing to do with my refusal! -- I already had 2 bads of foam brushes at home!!!]
I think it would make the store Alot more exciting if they were a little bit more like a woodworking school. If they offer the right things I'll spend, but I'm not talking about a glue brush or a bench cookie! I'm not interested in turning a pen either! : ) Some visitors seem to enjoy seeing the carvers there on Saturday morning--I've seen them ask.
On 9/19/2012 7:57 PM, Bill wrote:

Ok, Outstanding is still not the right word. :~) Nothing outstanding about an ordinary practice that has been used for many many years.
Perhaps, mark up on those "glue brushes" must be more than on a TS.
And still I wonder why you chose to bring that up? Don't go near a jewelery store. ;~)
Leon wrote:

I'm not sure it's not the right word. I can imagine Rockler's CEO writing in the annual report:
"Because of their high perceived-value, the demand for, and our retail-markup on Rockler Glue Brushes and Rockler Bench Cookies (TM) has been absolutely-outstanding! For many of our franchisees, these play a decisive role in their ability to remain viable. We will be offering several new products, aimed at offering an even greater level of satisfaction and convenience to our customers, which we are eager to release early in the coming fiscal year!...".

I tried to explain to them that I wasn't as worried about the money for the engagement ring, as much as I was about its consequences! Things bascially worked out in my favor though! : )

Iffen it's glue brushes or paint brushes you're needin', me lad, here y'are:
Super cheaparse stuff http://tinyurl.com/ce4azay (glue)
Fair to middlin' http://tinyurl.com/cenpfln (glue or paint)
Fair to middlin' http://tinyurl.com/cg5oct3 (paint or finishes)
EXCELLENT glue brushes http://tinyurl.com/8boywk9 Reusable, too. I preferred the old pure nylon style, but these are good as well.
AVOID AT ALL COSTS: 39687/8/9 "pro" brushes. NEE! http://tinyurl.com/9gte6p2 These are the worst brushes I've ever used in my _life_, and I've bought lots of cheap brushes in my time. Run away! Run away! Run away! Run away! Run away! Run away!
-- The most decisive actions of our life - I mean those that are most likely to decide the whole course of our future - are, more often than not, unconsidered. -- Andre Gide
Larry Jaques wrote:

LOL -- Does the "hair" fall out???

No, it just goes limp (al dente) with waterborne OR oil-based paints. Weird!
-- The most decisive actions of our life - I mean those that are most likely to decide the whole course of our future - are, more often than not, unconsidered. -- Andre Gide
On 9/19/2012 10:34 AM, Bill wrote:

I suppose you are talking slots for fastening the cookies. They will walk if you don't fasten them in place.
The 3 piece kit, you sure don't need it but it sure makes life easier if you can part with $15, especially if you do a lot of gluing.

I tried my new painting pyramids the other day and the project went skidding off it half a dozen times while the pyramids went skidding all around the wax paper I put under them. I'm less impressed in them after use, lemme tell ya. <g> I'll screw 'em to some scrap sheet next time.

Yeah, special heads for glue can be a godsend at times, ensuring good coverage on both sides of biscuit holes, f'rinstance. I'm as fond of Rockler's pricing as I am Festool's.
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page 401&site=ROCKLER would be the kit I'd opt for instead of the 3-pc set, but only when it was on half price sale with free shipping.
-- The most decisive actions of our life - I mean those that are most likely to decide the whole course of our future - are, more often than not, unconsidered. -- Andre Gide
Larry Jaques wrote:

I didn't see much "magic" in that 3-piece kit.

Keep in mind they always offer 20-25% off coupons, and they factor that into their pricing a priori. I agree that $16.59 for that is silly. You might do better at a craft store. I don't wish to see Rockler close their doors, but I hate to see them looking for a quick buck. As I mentioned in my earlier post, I hope they evolve with more educational product. Of course, that makes it a lot more difficult to be a corporation with franchises... It's easier for franchises to sell glue bottles.