Rockler

You two are finally out of the closet, eh? <wink>
-- I would be the most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. -- Anna Quindlen
On 9/19/2012 8:13 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

LOL. Speaking of which ...
You seem to have the skill set necessary to put it together. WTF are you waiting for??
Just kidding, I would love to do that again, and participate in a fiduciary way, or otherwise, particularly if we can get Rob and Han, and C_less this time, and anyone else here who wants to participate.
For you Luddites, this is Google Hangout territory, Honk if you ken ...
Mike, is there a limit on a Hangout?
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 9/19/12 8:28 PM, Swingman wrote:

As soon as someone sends *me* some beer <ehem!>, I'll get right on that. :-p
--

-MIKE-

If it helps, I have a keg of an Irish red ale that I brewed a couple weeks ago in the kegerator...and I'll be brewing more after I get home from vacation...come on over...the beer will be served in the correct glass AND at the correct temp!
Oh...southern Wisconsin, BTW
;)
the OTHER mike
On 9/21/12 9:37 PM, Mike wrote:

Wisconsin has the best beer stores!
--

-MIKE-

Whassa beer summit? And why would an ex-drunk like me want to participate?

<knock, knock> Whassat?

On a hangover, the limit is one per person per day. (Any more and you're either still drunk or doing something very, very wrong.)
-- The most decisive actions of our life - I mean those that are most likely to decide the whole course of our future - are, more often than not, unconsidered. -- Andre Gide

I don't have a problem with big markups. As pointed out, on low cost items it is needed to cover the cost of stocking them. What does bug me though, is when you see something re-purposed. A tool in the hardware stores goes for $5, but the same exact tool in a kitchen or craft shop may be selling for $15.
Leon wrote:

I don't drink, smoke, wear fancy clothes, chase women, drive or buy fancy cars, go to restaurants (not by choice), or own any green tools. And I don't have any children (not bragging, by any means), I don't have a dime of debt and I haven't paid any interest to anyone in 25 years.
Being value-concious and being able to afford things are two entirely separate matters, sir. I'm giving up cable-tv this week. Do you have the balls to do that?
Bill

I wouldn't give up cable, but if you do, it may help you with your woodworking because you might have more time for it.
Despite some of the critical language that goes on here and I'm certainly not exempt from using it, try to look past it if the topic is woodworking related... There's a whole lot of knowledge here for the taking if you choose to do so.
Dave wrote:

You didn't see me run for the door. Sharing a little tidbit with you (and the group), you might be surprised how much a little knowledge of woodcarving can make a difference in one's wood working technique. It enhances ones appreciation of the structure of the wood and how to best cut (wood fibers). I'm not a know-it-all, just sharing my personal observation.
On 9/19/12 7:11 PM, Bill wrote:

Balls? Wow. So, you're preference to be entertained in difference ways than another person means you have balls? Get over yourself.
We like to eat out, partly because we like to support our local economy. I guess I don't have the balls to eat in.
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

It's not a matter of preference. It reminds me of when I gave up smoking.
Get over yourself.
That's not a problem. I'm humble.

I would love to be able to eat out on occasion, but I can't due do dietary restrictions (food additives, artificial flavors and preservatives). It makes travel inconvenient. But it eliminates my need to consider whether I can afford to pursue woodworking, as Leon suggested I might do.
On 9/19/12 7:47 PM, Bill wrote:

Yes, because cable gives you cancer. Still doesn't explain why somehow it takes "balls" to give up an entertainment choice.

What does that have to do with being value conscience?
--

-MIKE-

On 9/19/2012 7:11 PM, Bill wrote:

Well my wife and I sent our son through college and masters degree school. He graduated in the Spring of 2010. LOL. We have been debt free since 1997. I was 42 at the time and retired. We pay cash for everything, including the house we bought 20 months ago, unless the interest that is offered is zero percent interest. I am not giving up Uverse and choose not to. BTY our son owns his home and will have it paid for by the end of next year if all goes as planned. He bought the house almost 2 years ago. Not bad for a 25 year old.
I did not study economics in college.
Leon wrote:

Yep.
I started off with that, and felt the need to finish it even though I ened up doing more in computer science. My parents helped me get that far, at least for tuition.
Then after working a few years, I put myself through a MS and PhD in math. My hiring institution encouraged me to pursue a MS in computer science in my spare time (one of the busiest periods of my life).
You and I are about the same age. I could not retire at 42! (nice...)
If you were a Comcast customer instead of a U-verse customer you might feel differently. Of course, I remember when ATT charged me about $80 to turn on my phone service. Comcast tries to charge all of their customers differently--complain about pricing and you'll find that they are "running a promotion". You would notice that they just want to keep "raising those prices", charges for this, charges for that. They are even inventing new (home security) services. In cancelling my service, I am just reaccessing my needs. I ordered a linkstick (usb device) for my tv yesterday in case we wish to try downloading a video. I anticipate buying a "leaf indoor antenna" to get the local stations and PBS (which is mostly what we watch anyway!). I'm saying, to heck with Comcast's incessant price increases. I don't appreciate the "pressure". I'll tell them that it's "just business", which is close to what they tell me when they send out their new prices every February, or so. Incidentally, thats the only chance you gets to see all of their prices. At least, they are not available online anywhere. I expect they are required to disclose their prices by law. I don't want to send my money to a company that does business in that fashion. I'm cutting them back to $62.95/mo, plus taxes! : )
Bill wrote: I'm giving up cable-tv this week.
I installed the new Samsung USB LinkStick (wireless device) ($31) on my Samsung TV, and immediately found a CNBC App for real-time business news, a YouTube App, and even a ESPN App (I'm not sure how that one works yet), among others (like NetFlix and Hulu). By the way, Samsung's web site indicated my TV required their (old model) $99 model linkstick, but it didn't. I apologize for all of the parenthesis.
I think I'd encourage any friend to consider cutting the cable cord (especially if they could get decent over-the-air reception), as I would want them to encourage me to do so. It feels a little "liberating", but old habits aren't broken without a little resistance.
Evidently DVRs are only available by Tivo--and they think a lot of them, wanting $400-500 per each. That seems like alot for what is basically a "VCR"...
I've already learned plenty about antennas (at least 6-8 hours worth). Some of you folks surely know a great deal more than I do about them. Suffice to say that a lot of companies seem to be selling "$16 glue bottles" for indoor antennas! And "No", I've never tried a $16 glue bootle... ; ) Recall the $99 LinkStick--who can you trust??? Your fellow reviewers, that's who!!! : )
Cheers, Bill

You can build your own DVR for maybe half that if you've got a reasonably modern system. A decent tuner card with hardware encoder ($100), a big hard disk ($100), and DVR software (free) and you're good to go.

My antenna cost only time. We're only about 10 miles from the transmitters (at most), so a folded dipole made out of 300 ohm cable works quite well. I'd like to put up a better antenna for those times when reception is spotty, but considering there's only 2 channels I actually watch it's not a high priority.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Puckdropper wrote:

Hmmm.. Thank you very much for the suggestion! I've already got a cable tv card (circa 2000). It took me quite a while to find a driver for it for WindowsXP, so it would be fun to try to make it work again under Windows7. Oh, and satisfying! : ) And I've got a 1 TB external HDD I used for backup, so I'm almost there. Instead of moving things around I maybe should just spring for a second antenna (see my related-comments below).

After all my antenna research, which spanned multiple evenings, reading reviews, etc., I went to BestBuy and bought an RCA-111--basically "a set of rabbit ears with a loop", for $10.99. While it is not as pretty as most of the other choices, by being bigger it can draw those signals, like VHF, which are most easily obtained by a "directional" antenna.
After repositioning it to get the "pixel noise" out of a PBS station, by soft of pointing it towards a window, we received 28 stations, all with clear reception, including 1 Spanish station, 2 Christian stations, 3 PBS stations, and the major networks. After watching for 5 minutes, my wife and I both were like "Wow, why didn't we try this sooner?". [Afterthought: Hmmm... marketing? We were schnookered! ;) ]
And with YouTube as an App on my TV now, there is more woodworking there than before! I watched the end of the Michigan vs Notre Dame football game in over-the-air HD, and couldn't tell the difference! : )
Over the air reception is, of course, very much location dependant. Things are pretty flat here in central Indiana. Good luck to anyone else who wants to "cut the cable cord"!
Cheers, Bill
Bill wrote:

It occurs to me that even at best my tune would not save me any HD recordings. There seem to be a few choices out there. When in doubt, go with Hauppauge huh?
Cheers, Bill
And I've got a 1 TB external HDD I

Before buying a new card, I'd hit the compatibility pages for whatever software you plan to use. My tuner card is supported partially in MythTV, but not totally. The recording part works, but the infrared remote does not. (I also had to seek out and find drivers for it.)
The old tuner card was completely supported, and the installation just found the card and worked.
FWIW, I used Hauppauge's WinTV app with Windows XP for a year or so when I was getting in to this. It might be nice if you had one computer to use, but for a dedicated DVR there's better software out there. GB-PVR comes to mind on Windows and MythTV on Linux. (Last I knew, MythTV had a Windows frontend, but it didn't do recording. Once set up, however, you don't have to mess with the OS.)

Considering what your antenna cost, it's probably cheaper to get a second one. The splitter and cable will easily total $10.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.