Robin, OH MY! A lee valley thread...

Page 2 of 2
Nice isn't it? I'm over at the big rock, in the village.
<Greg G.> wrote in message

Mark Hopkins said:

I assume you mean Stone Mountain? And as for the villiage, I'm not sure where that is. Anywhere near Avondale Estates?
Greg G.
Yes. The village of Stone Mountain, right at the bottom of that big rock...Nice town with a lot of interesting shops.
<Greg G.> wrote in message

Mark Hopkins said:

O.K. I remember now... The last time I spent any time over there was years ago, visiting Lucien Harris, the 'famous' Georgia Lepidopterist.
It has gotten too crowded over ther for my taste these days. Like it is getting over here! I grew up here, when Atlanta had a population of.. oh... 250,000. the old Grist Mill, Confederate Generals carved on a rock, laser light shows in the summer... yea, I remember...
Just got back from Highland Hardware - I hate going there. I always leave feeling so... empty... <g>
Greg G.
Going to Highland Hardware is a religious experience! They always tell me they are closing too soon! The village is nice. Not too many folks in the city at all. Just the small town atmosphere. I like that. The park is now run by those folks that run "Dollywood". To commercial for me. Not like it used to be at all.
Mark
<Greg G.> wrote in message

Mark Hopkins said:

It's a religious experience all right. The tithes will break you. <g> I picked up a Bandsaw riser kit and WoodSlicer blade.

I like the small town thing, but it's hard to ignore that you are still surrounded by masses.

I would not like that...
I live in unincorporated Cobb County. They want to call it West Vinings. I want them to go to ... well you get the idea...
I left Atlanta in 1992 to escape the masses and lived in Florida for 10 years, but they showed up there as well. Ended up back here because of a job at Hi-Fi Buys.
Greg G.
Greg G. wrote:

The problem with Atlanta is that there are only about six dozen southerners left in the whole damn town.
Silvan said:

I know a few that remain, but most have fled. Some to the rural areas of GA, some as far as Hawaii. We are looking around for a place to go ourselves. SWMBO want to go north, likes the snow and winter - I want to go south, I like shirt sleeve weather in December and the beaches. We both hate to leave the nice yard full of trees and the garden, and my little WW shop in the garage. I'll have to say, in my travels through the country, Western Pennsylvania and Virginia have some awfully nice scenery.
Oh yea, I saw your shop on your web site, it isn't as bad as you implied. I was expecting an old generator crate with a roof. ;-)
Greg G.
Greg G. wrote:

Yeah we do. They do too. Just about anywhere along the mountain range will do in a pinch, really. I don't like flat land much. It makes me uneasy when there are no big green humps on the horizon.
I like to run down there though. Easy on the bad throttle foot.

It's bad. The floor is about shot, termites in the walls and underneath. Built half on the ground, so it just screams "eat me, eat me!" to the little bastards. Not much I can come up with to save it either. It needs to sit up off the ground, but putting a foundation under it while it sits there would be difficult. Even if I bought a bunch of beer and got a few guys to help me pick it up, it would probably fall apart from the strain.
Probably take it apart stick by stick, build a foundation, then put it back together, but by the time I replace all the rotten/eaten wood, I might as well just build a new building. The roof and the interior studs are good. the sheathing is sawdust, and the supports on the ground are swiss cheese.
Well, they built it to hold a lawn mower. It was never supposed to be anybody's wood shop. Besides, what did they care? They were moving in a few years. And they did.