Robin Hartl - the real story about leaving Hometime

Page 2 of 2

C'mon - I think that lil' soldering iron that goes cold immediately is pretty neat! :)
On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 21:46:08 GMT, "patrick conroy"

Look it up on the web, though. I think Amazon carries it, well, some site that has feedback. The feedback was horrible. And not just one or two.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
I've never seen one...never used one...but I can guaran-damn-tee that the thing melts the solder only and doesn't heat the joint up enough to "tin" it. This results in a "cold solder joint" and in a few weeks it will be corroded and lose electrical contact. Don't waste your money.

Chuck Hoffman wrote:

check the archives of rec.crafts.metalworking. There was a thread on this in the last few months. Joe

Got one for X-mas. Tried using it once, ended up getting out the soldering iron and promptly gave it to someone I didn't like very much.
Coth
<<Look what's typically sold via infomercial: Exercise equipment Diet plans and pills Get rich schemes Tools and appliances that solve problems that are either nonexistent, or easily solved with something you already own.""
Typical line: "It replaces hundreds of dollars worth of ________." [Fill in the blank -- cleaning products, kitchen appliances, power tools]
Even if it were true, I have already spent those hundreds of dollars and own all that stuff. I might as well use it. Why should I spend more and add to the collection?
So much of that infomercial stuff is total crap, but not necessarily all of it. Years ago I bought a Foodsaver vacuum sealing machine and I would not hesitate to do it again. (I've never tried using it as a vacuum press for veneer but one of these days I may conduct an experiment.) There's a guy who writes a column in the Courant called "As Seen on TV" and he reviews infomercial stuff. He says that little cold heat soldering iron is not so great for electronics but is probably useful for jewelry repair. He also thinks that broom with the little rubber bristles is as good as advertised and especially useful for clearing snow off a car.
Lee

Lee Gordon wrote:

Don't forget, the original infomercial guy, Ron Popeil, is from the Hartford area!
Barry
<<Don't forget, the original infomercial guy, Ron Popeil, is from the Hartford area!>>
I did not know that. I can't understand how the local boosters can publicize that people such as Katherine Hepburn, Charles Nelson Reilly, Dominick Dunne and Amy Brenneman are from Hartford and then omit one of the greatest of them all, Ron Popeil. It is shameful. ;-)
Lee

Lee Gordon wrote:

Ron gets mentioned on a regular basis by Colin McEnroe on WTIC.
Barry
I ordered my LG at a woodworking show about 8+ years ago and it sure gets borrowed a lot. I had it out when my Gutter man was out to replace a gutter and let him use it..He uses ladders everyday for 15years but not LG, Commented that he really liked it. He liked it even more when both he and I got on it to check something. There are cheaper knock offs I am sure out there. Last time I priced an emergency room visit it was a lot more than my LG ladder. I guess they have been swamped by people buying their ladder and why you had such a problem getting thru. My local hardware store is a dealer in them now too. Carrying even the biggest ones they make.
ROBMURR wrote:

Well, if we are going to talk about the LG ladder I would appreciate any comments from LG ladder owners who have had the opportunity (and taken the time) to look at the Gorilla ladder sold by Home Depot. It seems quite good and is much less expensive, but if the LG is a lot better then I will have to think twice about purchasing a Gorilla ladder.
Thanks...and yeah, I have seen a few comments on a Google search but I haven't seen a serious comparison made by a LG ladder owner.
Dave Hall

in a similar way but the HD model is not as heavy duty as the LG. Also they make 2 sizes 13ft and 21ft? I think..Not sure exactly how high they become as stepladders, never seen one opened at HD. The LG model they show is 7ft as a stepladder and 17 ft as an extension ladder. I have no problem standing with my feet across the 2 top rungs 7ft off the ground if need be. The HD also dont come with the platform to stand on or to put stuff on or that acts as a brace when in scaffold mode.. the 13 cost $99 the 21 cost $198? or so. If the shorter ladder works for you and you cant spring for the LG get the HD model. LG also makes a version that looks more like the lighter duty HD model for less than the infomercial priced one.
ROBMURR wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I was kind of interested in the 21 ft. gorilla ladder (18' 11" useable length - the 21' is the total combined length of the 4 sections) as it makes a little better than a 9' step ladder while the 17' LG only makes a 7' step. Of course I could go with a bigger LG to get a bigger step. I did set the Gorilla up as a step ladder and climb to the top and it was solid. However, if the LG is significantly more heavy duty I may have to consider it. Any idea id the LG platforms would fit on the Gorilla ladder?
Dave Hall

Naturally, more money. But I would prefer the more exposure part better. Speaking of more, anyone seen the new commercial with JoAnne in it. Guess her metabolism slowed some huh!