Rob offers his apologies.

Page 6 of 11
Locutus wrote:

Possibly that they managed to free some American prisoners while Jimmy Carter hemmed and hawed for more than a year?
--

dadiOH
____________________________

So you think their reputation is based on one incident that happened nearly 30 years ago? How fitting.
dadiOH wrote:

Or that the took over command under NATO in Afghanistan when the US wanted to free troops for Iraq?
Or that their navy patrolled the Persian Gulf protecting US ships in the lead-in to the Iraq invasion?
Or that they are the only country on the planet to have contributed troops to _every_ UN peacekeeping mission since the UN came into being?
Or that they fought in _all_ years of both WWI and WWII? And were the first to win a major victory against the Germans in WWI while the yanks were still hiding at home?
The Canadian reputation stands. The US reputation is sinking.
Mike

Yes it does. The reputation that Canada is a country that depends on the US for it's economic existence and protection is standing quite strong. Congrats.
Michael Daly wrote:

The Canadians also took in men, women and children fleeing slavery in the US, draft resisters and deserters during the Vietnam war, and helped keep us supplied with booze during Prohibition.
--

FF

Yes and even with some of the name calling and snide comments made in this thread. I'm sure we Canadians would still take your citizens in and feed and shelter them, and make them feel welcome if another national crises were to happen again. Not that I would want to see that again any time soon. Try to think of us like your mom, we may not go to the bars and strip joints with you. But when things turn to shit on a night out ,it's nice to know mom's there to give you a meal and a bed.:-) ( My intent with the above was not to suggest that Canadians are your parents/ guardians or any other controlling factor to the US, just that we will no doubt try to do in the future what we have tried to do in the past.) Jim

You better, considering how much you owe the US.
On Tue, 3 Oct 2006 13:52:52 -0400, "Locutus"

Cleanliness, friendliness and high-quality manufactured goods? I don't recall hearing much else about Canada from any quarter. Nice quiet neighbor to the North, AFAIC.

So shooting them is OK? We should do to others as others have done to us. We can crawl into the cutter with them if that is what it takes to win the war. If the enemy does not follow the rules and we do, we cannot win. War is war.

Well said. You know what they say, all is fair in love and ......
Leon wrote:

War is war, I agree. A few years back, a few Americans were kidnapped in Lebanon and held as hostages. The Americans went into 'negotiations-mode'. A few days later, a couple of Russians were kidnapped with the result that the brothers of the kidnappers were shot and dropped off in front of the house where they lived. The Russian hostages were set free immediatly. It showed resolve and good intelligence. Put another way: "You can't bring a knife to a gun fight." (Daneliuk will likely misconstrue this as my liking the Russians more than the Americans, so be it.)
When they found Hussein, there should have been a picture, similar to the execution of the Saigon police chief.
What is up for debate is the reason for this war. One does fight fire by removing fuel, heat or oxygen.
Leon wrote:

Depending on whom you mean by "them", in battle, sure. Shooting them is OK, same as shooting uniformed soldiers. If they surrender or are captured alive, they become protected persons. It's still OK to shoot them, or to execute them in any other 'humane' way, so long as they have been duly convicted of capital offenses.

False. Not only can we win without abandoning our principles, we cannot win if we do.
Abandonment of our principles is suicide.
--

FF

snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net (in snipped-for-privacy@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com) said:
| Leon wrote:
|| We should do to others as others have done to us. We can crawl || into the cutter with them if that is what it takes to win the war. || If the enemy does not follow the rules and we do, we cannot win. | | False. Not only can we win without abandoning our principles, we | cannot win if we do. | | Abandonment of our principles is suicide.
Well said. Thank you.
snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote:

So is clinging to them to the point where we are annihilated. Survival comes before legal nuance notwithstanding the fantasyland inhabited by a good many of the war critics.
Tim Daneliuk (in snipped-for-privacy@eskimo.tundraware.com) said:
| snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote: || || False. Not only can we win without abandoning our principles, we || cannot win if we do. || || Abandonment of our principles is suicide. | | So is clinging to them to the point where we are annihilated. | Survival comes before legal nuance notwithstanding the fantasyland | inhabited by a good many of the war critics.
It would seem that you've not noticed the rather large number of men and women who valued our principles more highly than their personal survival - and the lesser (but still awesomely large) number who did not, in fact, survive - all so that you and I might live in what you so casually refer to as "fantasyland".
If you choose to discard our fundamental principles in favor of some hoped-for longevity; most will understand - and I would guess that most will also be ashamed for you.

An old Philly guy (via Boston) said it best:
"Those Who Would Sacrifice Liberty for Security Deserve Neither."
Regards,
Tom Watson
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 /
Tom Watson wrote:

It is the very *defense* of Liberty that requires making these kinds of hard decisions. You are severely kidding yourself if you think the historic defenders of our Liberty did not make naughty choices in said quest.
On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 21:06:14 -0500, Tim Daneliuk

Weak.
Signing off now.
Regards,
Tom Watson
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 /

Hold that door...*grabbing the remainder of the single malt on the way out*

I never could quite figutre that one out.
So, those who sacrifice Security for Liberty, Die.