Rob offers his apologies.

Page 5 of 11
Rod & Betty Jo wrote:

There is a wee bit of difference between bashing America, and bashing its government. But the Faux News followers will never see the difference :-).
--
It's turtles, all the way down

Larry Blanchard wrote:

That point may have merit, Larry, except for the fact that, regardless of who's in office, a large percentage of Americans support that government. Therefore the bashing is often personalized and directed at those who are in support as well.

Dontcha think that remark may be a bit too dismissive? If I have time, I will watch bits of MSNBC, FOX, CNN, CNBC, CSPAN,and PBS. I also will read the Wall Street Journal, The Washington Post, The NY Times, Time, Newsweek and a coupla on-line blogs and news sources. Yet I'm sure, given the polarized nature of the thread, you would put me into "Faux News" group.
I would almost bet that you meant the remark as just a good-natured jab in the ribs; there are those thread contributors however, who laughingly believe denigrating a percieved news source scores serious rhetorical points.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com
Dave Bugg wrote:

Possibly somewhere in between. The few times I've watched Fox, I kept expecting a row of cheerleaders to come out chanting "Go Bush" - which is their perogative if they hadn't picked up that "fair and balanced" motto.
And yes, I perceive a lot of the liberal commentators as bing just as biased.
In short, I'm a cynic. And the older I get, the more cynical I get. I wonder if we couldn't get better government if we picked names out of a hat and told them it was their turn to make the country work for four years, or two, or six, or whatever.
--
It's turtles, all the way down

Larry Blanchard wrote:

I hear that!! There's gotta be a cabal for grumpy old cynics somwhere.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Undoubtedly. Start up a petition requesting that the Constitution be so amended, and I'll be the first to sign it.
Another option, I suppose, would be to raise the salaries of the President, VP, House, and Senate to seven or eight figures -- that way, we might attract candidates who are motivated by money rather than power. Not that there's anything particularly good about that... but given the choice between a man who simply seeks money, and a man who is motivated by the desire to gain and hold power over other men, I'll pick the greedy man every time.
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

When I was growing up in Kentucky ("The politics are the dammednest") the saying was that given the choice between an idealist and a crook, pick the crook. He could only steal so much and an idealist would try to run your life :-).
--
It's turtles, all the way down

Robatoy wrote:

Sure it is. Just keep saying that to yourself. I love conspiracies.

Snip all the "My best friend is black" hand-wringing.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com
Rod & Betty Jo wrote:

When Fox re-aired the segment later in the day the incorrect graphic was removed. NOT corrected, there was no graphic correctly identifying Foley as a Republican.
--

FF

As one whom does not watch FOX 24 hours a day I'd not assume to know when or if a correction was ever made but I suppose you can make any such assumption ....nonetheless I'd suggest by now (if ever) "nobody" thinks Folly was or is a Dem. Nor would I consider FOX so stupid that they would think a small insignificant "typo" could turn the tide of public opinion one way or the other. One may also note that verbally the airwaves including FOX repeatedly stated party affiliation as the pundits blathered on ad nauseam. For a proper conspiracy theory to have any legs one needs at least some rational....this doesn't even have a cushion to sit on....On a lighter note one might surmise that FOX was actually doing Foley a favor or giving him a out...as a Dem he'd have no historical precedent or need to resign<G>. Rod
Rod & Betty Jo wrote:

Misdirection.
It is not the effectiveness of the act that is in question, but the motivation.
Within a few days after the statement was made, (almost) no one believed that Clinton did not have sex with that woman, Monica Lewinsky. Does that mean it was OK for him to deny it?
--

FF

snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote:

Exactly. So, is there any credible evidence that FOX did this on purpose as opposed to it being mistake? When this happened during the news coverage, was there also an attempt to state that the Foley-creep was a Democrat? During the coverage of William Jefferson's (D-Louisiana) investigation by the FBI, what was the motivation when NBC and CBS always failed to note the "D" in the title graphic?
Folks have way too much time on their hands when stuff like this gets turned into frothing-at-the-mouth rants about conspiracies.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com
wrote:

as
the
turned
John Emmons wrote:

Sorry you missed the context. I thought when I wrote "Folks have way too much time on their hands when stuff *like this* gets turned into frothing-at-the-mouth rants about conspiracies", after mentioning both the Fox and the NBC/CBS examples, it was clear I wasn't taking a side. Let me make it clearer for you. Spending any amount of time worrying about the conspiratorial nature of superimposed graphics on the tube -- in either instance -- is evidence of having too much time on one's hands.

Your "implication detector" is a tad too sensitive, as I implied nothing of the kind.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com
Dave Bugg wrote:

Like what, a confession?
When the episode was rebroadcast, the incorrect graphic had been removed, which is indicative that someone had caught the error. But no graphic correctly identifying Foley as a Republican had been substituted.
Ergo, on its face it would appear that the persons responsible for removing the graphic misidentifying Foley as a Democrat chose to NOT identify him as a Repblican in the 'corrected' broadcast.

Was there a "D" in the title graphic?
If so, then he was never misidentified as a Republican right?
So what's your point and why are you frothing at the mouth about it?
--

FF

snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote:

.....snip of stuff
As I said, some folks have too much time on their hands. This whole thing is petty and ridiculous and so not important in the entire scheme of things.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com
On 6 Oct 2006 14:34:49 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote:
.. snip

No Fred, but there were sure a lot of graphics from the MSM with Toricelli identified as Toricelli (Rep - NJ)

Mark & Juanita wrote:

I'll trust your memory on this. But tell me, what is MSM?
--

FF

snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote:

Main Stream Media
--
Regards,
On 7 Oct 2006 10:20:26 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote:

MSM = Main Stream Media; i.e. CBS, NBC, ABC, MSNBC, CNN
As indicated in another part of this thread, it was not Toricelli as he was a senator at the time of his scandal; it was however another Democrat Representative, very possibly Conditt. This was several years ago, but this was more than a single instance, it went on for several days if not weeks.

ahh... another Canadian. Not suprised.
Do you realize what YOUR reputation is in the world?