Rob offers his apologies.

Page 4 of 11
For the benefit of those who have not (and God only knows why not) kill filed us, I've removed rec.woodworking from the distribution and continued this, er, discussion here:
http://groups.google.com/group/misc.legal.moderated/browse_thread/thread/ac690012dddce9da/0ca91674217fe93a?lnk=st&q=fredfighter&rnum=1&hl=en#0ca91674217fe93a
--

FF

Who was more civilized in the revolutionary war? I guess the patriots were all scumbags eh? Being civilized is overrated.
I consider sleep deprevation a more civilized form of turture than dismemberment. Maybe you don't.

Maybe you should get a grip and realize that most Americans don't give a flying fuck what the rest of the world thinks.
Locutus wrote:

Exactly what's wrong with the yanks today.
You represent less than 5% of the world's population and your share is shrinking. You are in debt to your eyeballs and the subsidy of US debt by countries like China and India is considered the "greatest foreign aid program in history" (The Economist, Sept 16, 2006). You refuse to honour trade deals and international law. Your reputation is everything and in this world and you don't give a damn about it.
Your loss. I hope your kids and grandkids will forgive you.
Mike

If so.... Then why do we have to pay off the notes when due? Would appear your confusing hyperbole with fact.

Is this all of them, some or one? Would any country or especially the largest trading partner in the world not have a dispute or two? If we are "that bad" why are we flooded with foreign goods?

Not really.... in fact when push comes to shove it doesn't mean that much at all...opinion is rather fickle and jealousy rather rampant. I'd suspect we'd be one of the few countries in the world whom literally could roll up our borders and get along quite well without any foreign entanglements but when the rest of the world gets in its inevitable mess whom is going to bail it out?

Oddly in the 50's after we saved the free world at great cost of life and coin, then presented a strong and expensive bulwark against the looming Communist threat it was popular to call us the "Ugly American".....books were written and great gnashing of teeth prevailed......Opinions of the day don't always have that much importance. Rod
Michael Daly wrote:

Having not always been a "yank", as an immigrant to the US, I'd say that this is exactly what's *right* about us. We have not capitulated to the self-destructive ideologies that are ruining Continental Europe and a good part of the Anglosphere.

And our wealth is growing in the face of this. Like so many people, you have puerile understanding of national debt. Yes, the US has large debt - it's analogous to the guy who owns a rare Ferrari worth $1M, still owes $100,000 on the note, and is getting a 5% pay raise every year. The US GDP annualy cranks out $12 Trillion or so in net value. The long-running debt is a fraction of that. Some considerable portion of this could be eliminated almost instantly if we forced everyone who owed us money to pay up AND quit fighting other people's wars. Note, for example, that the US could easily operate without Arabic oil. If the US just walked away from the Arab Penninsula and left it to its own slimy tribal tendencies, guess who would get hurt? Western Europe & Japan whose economies depend fundamentally on Arab oil.
Much of the US national debt is also driven by idiot do-gooding programs that attempt to save people from their own stupidity. Over 50% of the annual US Federal budget is consumed by so-called entitlement programs. So ... by eliminating do-gooding both domestically and abroad, the US could very rapidly eliminate its debt and become beholden to no one. If that is what you're arguing for, I wholly concur.

They may or many not have anything to "forgive", but at least we'll *have* grandkids. The current birth replacement rates in Western Europe, Australia, Canada, & New Zealand are so low, that starting in about 20 years, the rest of the democratic West is going to cease to exist as we know it. Spain will go first (at current rates) with such a low population growth number that it should be Islamified fully in about 20-25 years. France, Italy, and Germany are next - again with the replacement babies coming from the Islamic immigrants if current trends prevail. Canada, Australia, and NZ have the same demographic problem, but with a less obvious Islamic invasion to fill the gap. More likely they will simply continue to diminish in importance or influence on the world stage as fewer and fewer people remain to populate their nations. The US is alone among Western powers with an almost perfect birth replacement rate. That's because we encourage immigration and, more importantly, people still really want to come here to live, work, and raise their families. You know, the place that has all these problems you've tried (very poorly) to identify.
We don't care what other nations think because we don't have to. When we have to care, we will. But beware. The general goodwill and kindness that are the instinct of the American people is stretched pretty thin right now. After generations of picking up the military and humanitarian tab for a good part of the rest of the world, we're tired of listening to foolish, ill-mannered, and ignorant whining like yours. The last thing most of the rest of the world can afford is for the US to back away from the world stage and become entirely defensive in its military and economic posture. But that sentiment is running stronger and stronger in American culture as people watch their tax dollars evaporate and the blood of their children spilled only to hear some haughty European, Canadian, Aussie, or Kiwi lecture us about our bad behavior. Be careful what you ask, for you shall surely get it ....
Tim Daneliuk wrote: [proganda/drivel snipped]

really tugs at my heartstrings. The world is a better place since Cheney left Haliburton and became VP. The Carlisle Group and their defense portfolio, clearly shows their effort in promoting peace. Business has NO influence on politics, war decisions, and polution. Big business simply does not exist. For a guy (I am assuming) who has such a wonderful command of the English language, you sure talk a lot of shit. Eloquent shit, but shit nevertheless. (I am using a bit of your tactic here, attacking the person rather than the issues.)

You're reply lacks substance. Why don't you just address the points in his reply.
Robatoy wrote:

Nice job snipping away the context of Tim's response. Trying to deflect your inability to rationally address Tim, you try to insert what you think are the hot-button rallying cries for the disaffected fringe-left anti-american rabble. You've managed to created both a straw man AND a red herring. I'll give you 3.5 points out of 5 on the "Intellectually Impotent, But I'm Desperately Trying" Kervorkian Scale.

Make that a solid 4.0. But that's just the first round. We'll combine scores after your next go-around.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com
Robatoy wrote:

I wish it were possible to remove the benefit of having these companies from all but the USA. You'd be squealing a different tune if your nation actually had to pay for the vast bulk of its defense. Don't kid yourself, Canada, and for that matter, most of the Anglosphere enjoys its durable peace and freedom because the US has picked up the lion's share of the costs. That means US *companies* get the contract work necessary to do that work. Oh, and by the way, the contract to Haliburton was let by the *Clinton* (aka gasbag lefties) administration long before Cheney became VP.
You are also a raging hypocrite. Haliburton has a market capitalization of about $28 Billion - they are Big Eeeevil Corporation according to your screwball logic. Home Depot - whose products you proudly buy - has a market capitalization of about $77 Billion - not quite 3x the size of Haliburton. Yet HD is *not* Eeeeevil in your book somehow. One the one hand you implicitly argue that wealth buys power and access. On the other, you do business with a company with multiples of the wealth you condemn. Your position is hypocritical, laughable, and childish.

I you find my prose hard to understand or the words too big, let me know and I'll slide down the literacy scale sufficiently to meet you. You still have not addressed a single point in the post to which you are responding. Let me summarize:
1) The US debt is significant but not remotely dangerous. 2) Most of the US debt is driven by domestic and international handouts that should be curtailed immediately. 3) Most of the free world owes its ongoing security to the fact that the US is willing to become indebted to defend European and other Anglo interests around the world (not to mention Japan). 4) The Anglosphere and Western Europe are in a death spiral of declining populations. In Western Europe, the Islamists are already filling in the gaps. 5) The US does not - at this time - need to care much about what the rest of the world things because the US is doing most of the heavy lifting. The Islamification of Europe and the irrelevancy of most of the rest of the Anglosphere (by sheer lack of population) means that the US has to act now to be positioned for the world 40 years from now. Denying Islamist extremists nuclear weapons and a free hand around the world is one such steps. There are more to follow.

This is out of his league Tim....
Locutus wrote:

Yup. Sandlot pickup vs. the World Series.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com
Tim Daneliuk wrote:

You are correct that the birth rate, at least among the native born, is very close to replacement rate. But immigration and the higher birth rate among 1st generation immigrants (and maybe 2nd and 3rd) are what have caused the population to double in sixty-some years. Do you consider this a good thing?
Of course it doesn't matter what either of us thinks about it. The population will continue to grow either by birth or immigration because the Ponzi economy depends on it. Think how few houses, autos, appliances, etc. we'd need with a stable population.
--
It's turtles, all the way down

Larry Blanchard wrote:

For the moment, yes. A nation's wealth (and thus power/influence) is driven primarily by its per capita productivity. Immigration is part (but not remotely all) of the equation to maintaining and growing productivity. Given that the US will end up being the only significant Western democracy on the planet in less than a half century (assuming nothing changes in the Western/Anglo birth rates around the world in the mean time), we need as many American citizens as possible. But "American citizen" presumes these new emigre's will follow the path of their predecessors - they must *assimilate* American ideals, values, and, yes, language. Thanks to the usual Drooling Idiots, we now see a profoundly dangerous movement to encourage immigration and *discourage* assimilation. That could well be a death sentence for American ideals wherein the US becomes just as balkanized and unable to speak with one voice (literally) as is the case in Western Europe today.

Your understanding of "economy" is fundamentally broken. It is not a "Ponzi" scheme of any sort. The "economy" is one measure of national wealth. And "wealth" grows in proportion to national *productivity* not on based on the number of toasters and Big Macs that get sold. If this were not so, nations will little or no natural resources and/or goods to sell would all be poor. Take even a casual look at Hong Kong, Singapore, or Japan for some fairly compelling counterexamples. For a more academic treatise on the matter, you might want to read the source: Adam Smith's "Wealth Of Nations" and, in particular, his "Pin Factory" example. He wrote with tremendous insight in the 18th century. Too bad the modern so-called educated Westerner can't be bothered to take the time to understand what he wrote.
The Locustus, Bugg and Daneliuk mutual admiration society has deteriorated into a circle-jerk.
Listen up, O'Reilley fans, try to do some research beyond your emotional desire to be 'right'.
Go get your daily infusion of fair and balanced news from Fox, keeping your heads firmly planted up your asses. For those American friends who wonder what went wrong with your country.. here's an example.
You just can't teach arrogant people anything.
...btw, did you guys see the tag below the image of FagBoy Foley on FoxTV? This is what it read: Foley (D-FL)....lol..I guess they figured if he was gay, he'd have to be a democrat.
See what I mean about the mindset of blind faith?
Robatoy wrote:

A mind is a terrible thing to waste.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Then we all feel terribly sorry for you.
Upscale wrote:

Why? Did you transmit some sort of disease while we were communicating?
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

And yet you provide neither fact nor insight

Were you part of the group that kept Fox news out of Canada for quite some time?...... fear does strange things.

I suppose it takes a true believer to read "something" into a simple typo......Do you perchance listen to Air America? Your empty tirades, rants and factless drivel indeed sound like their bankrupt programming. Rod
Rod & Betty Jo wrote:

Simple typo? My ass. Three times they ran that 'typo'. But, Rod, if you want to buy into Fox's shit, go for it!

Nope, can't stand their pinko bullshit. I have a problem with bullshit...from the right or from the left. That pudge, Gore, looks like he's been eating too much of Bugg's BBQ Lardburgers... and that Kerry would have REALLY screwed things up in Eyerack.

Okay... I'll bite...what factless drivel?
I get it...you feel left out.. you want to be in Circle Jerk too....okay..I'll ask.
Ya got a gunrack in that Chevette?

Since its a little more than obvious that no mater how many times they said he was a Dem it would and could never stick....and in fact any perceived albeit remote benefit would be far less than the credibility harm to their reputation for a rather known fact that he was not a Dem......thus with no benefit and some harm.... why would it be anything more than a typo?

Cool.... at least your a equal opportunity America basher....although it does beg the question as to the why?

Your recent posts here......I didn't notice any reasoned rational discourse...Did I miss something?

Its a Dodge van without a gun rack although it does have a ladder rack.....I do have a Cannuck for a sister though but she doesn't have a gun rack either.....Rod