Rob Hare

Rob Hare attended my woodworking club meeting this evening and showed, through photos and explanation, how he made coopered and iron chairs as shown at http://www.robhare-furnituremaker.com/Chairs/chairs.html
Step one... start with a $5K slab of rough cut claro walnut... Flatten the surface with a hand planer. Cut to rough shape. Rip and resaw so that book matched arm stock is roughed out. Cooper the arms and glue up with West System epoxy. Smooth the outside curve. Gauge the thickness and then thickness and smooth the inside curve. The back goes through the same process. Move on to the forged metal work and leather upholstery. At the end of the process you have a very nice chair!
John

Easy enough now that I have the instructions. I'll start tomorrow if I happen to have a slab of walnut in the wood pile.
He has some nice pieces on his web page.

OK, that lets me out, then.

Is he putting these things out on the patio? Or trying to fill gaps in the joinery? I can't see any other reason to use epoxy on something like that.

Well, tastes differ. To my mind they're pretty ugly...and I'm guessing the people that buy them do so more to be able to say "hey, I bought a $5k piece of wood" than because they're works of art.
John
"John McCoy" wrote in message

There are no gaps in the joinery... the epoxy is to insure it stays together. I have other associates who sell into the gallery, museum and international collectors market and if there is a theme it's that they make sure their stuff doesn't fail.

Rob informed us that the first sale of this style was for a pair of chairs... he scales them to the purchaser.
The one he brought with him was the first one. I estimate it weighed in excess of 200 lbs... and wouldn't be surprised if it were 300.
"John Grossbohlin" wrote:

---------------------------------------------- And I'm betting $300/lb won't get the job done.
$500/lb may be close.
Lew

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
"John Grossbohlin" wrote:

---------------------------------------------- And I'm betting $300/lb won't get the job done.
$500/lb may be close.
Lew
$12-15K each....
"John Grossbohlin" wrote:

"Lew Hodgett" wrote:

------------------------------------------------- "John Grossbohlin" wrote:
12-15K each....
Lew
On 5/23/2015 11:27 AM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

For Rob.<g>
Whatever... if someone wishes (and can afford) to pay for those chairs, more power to them AND Rob. No one has placed a gun to anyone's head here.
"Unquestionably Confused" wrote in message

After seeing how they were built I was thinking he wasn't charging enough! LOL
On Thu, 21 May 2015 21:42:27 -0400

talented guy i like his metal works more than the metal/wood works
the chairs on the front page state they are comfortable but I do not believe that