RO Sander and Speeds

With a variable speed random orbital sander what speeds are used for soft versus hard woods, rough stripping versus finishing etc. My sander came with no recommendations.
No real fixed numbers for either. Slower tends to work a wee bit better for me but higher speeds also work as well.
You will notice that the sander is harder to control at the higher speeds. This tends to wear the operator(you) out.