Riving knife modification?

I have a cheap table saw with a riving knife that comes up over the top of the saw blade.
This means I cannot do shoulder cuts for tenons as the wood above the blade would hit the riving knife.
Would it be safe to cut the riving knife so that it stops just below the top of the saw blade?
--
Richard Moore
Richard Moore wrote:

If it's a decent design, it shouldn't be difficult to remove it for the occasions when it isn't needed/desired.