Riving knife

Okay, everybody here says that they are great. Would somebody kindly explain what it is?
I'm an amateur!
Ivan Vegvary
Add pictures here
✖
"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in message

Don't usually encourage indiscrimate use, but in this case Wikipeida gets the point across fairly well:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riving_knife
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07

I riving knife is used behind the table saw blade instead og the guard and splitter on almost all table saws. by 2010 they will be mandortory on table saws to get them GL approved. Let know if I can be of more help
Randy http://nokeswoodworks.com
Add pictures here
✖

You're on! Whatinthehell is "GL"?
Add pictures here
✖
On Feb 24, 3:30 pm, snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) wrote:

Sorry I ment UL approved for underwriters laboratorie These are considered the safest thing for a table saw.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 08:34:58 -0800 (PST), randyswoodshoop

...and have been in some areas of the rest of the world for a couple of decades :)
Add pictures here
✖
Scroll down this page 'til you get to Splitter and Riving knife illustration.
http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/KickBack/KickBack3.html
You might want to start at the beginning and go through most of the ways a table saw can hurl a piece of wood at you. It's not just those sharp spinning carbide things you have to worry about. The wood can hurt you too.
http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/KickBack/KickBack1.html
Knowledge is power. If you understand how AND why something can hurt you then you can figure out HOW to minimize the likelyhood that it will hurt you.
charlie b
Add pictures here
✖

Ivan Vegvary