Riser blocks

I've been reading up on various site regarding the use of riser blocks to provide more cutting height capacity. The saw I've been looking at is the Jet JWBS, which gives a 6" cutting capacity. The available riser block would increase that to 12".
Obviously, having more cut-height capacity is great, but my concern is that the longer blades would introduce some 'wobble' .. however slight.
Has anyone experienced this at all? That is, did you install a riser block and find that it caused any cutting accuracy problems?
Or conversely, did you find that the riser block did not introduce any problems at all?
Also - if I do go with the Jet and opt for using a riser block, should I get the deluxe model? It's 1 1/4 HP vs. 1HP for the JWBS.
Jack
No wobble on my Delta, however my riser block exacerbated a slight alignment issue with the bearings and blocks, so I shimmed it. I should think the one horse would be plenty, but if you're cutting 11+ inches of ironwood, an extra 1/4 probably won't help. Tom
"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" <"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net"> writes:

I bought the Jet deluxe 14" and immediately added the riser, so I never experiences it without the riser.
I'm using it to resaw 11" wide wood.

The deluxe also has the 9 spoke wheel, and improved guides, and a quick release tension. I'm glad I got the deluxe, for the quick release ( or rather - quick loosener, and it won't fully release the 3/4" blade) but if I could afford it, I'd save up and get the Powermatic. This has REAL Carter quick release, fence, miter, light, etc. Adding these options later would cost much more that the $200 increase in price over the 14" deluxe.
I also suggest you get the Iturra catalog. This is a wonderful resource for bandsaw owners.
On 19 Aug 2005 11:34:02 GMT, Bruce Barnett

Agree, it's free and beside it contain lots of info. and aftermarket parts.
Does Iturra Designs have a website? I can't find it.
WD wrote:

"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" <"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net"> wrote in

No - you call, and leave a message asking for a catalog to be sent to your address. Then wait. Took a while for me to receive it, but worth the wait!
On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 08:59:01 -0600, "mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" <"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net"> wrote:

I do not believe they have a website. Their phone/email: Iturra - 888-722-7078, email snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net.
BTW, you may have to wait for a few mths for the 218 pg. Catalog and it worth waiting for it. Their bandsaw blades are reasonable price and good.
Disclaimer: No relationship whatsoever with Iturra.
Either way you go, it is relatively difficult to switch because the blades for riser vs. no riser are different lengths.
I have a riser installed on my Jet bandsaw, but have considered removing it. I haven't noticed any alignment problems. However, the riser reduces the throat capacity and I run into that limitation more often than the resaw height. Also, I have a 6" jointer and to resaw, you really need to have one side flat and the edge 90 degrees to that side, so that effectively limits me to 6", anyway. If I had an 8" jointer, I would probably use the riser block capacity much more.
Mark
I have a Delta & added the riser the same day I made the purchase. I have not noticed any wobble .... I did add the Iturra Designs spring about a year later.
JJS
mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net wrote:

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 21:18:54 -0600, "mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" <"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net"> wrote:

I don't know if all riser kits are the same, but on the Griz/Rigid, you get more than the riser block.. You also change your blade guards and guide bar, so that the blade (also included) is fully supported..
I used the saw for about a month before adding the riser kit and like it a lot more after adding the kit... (though it looks funny with that griz green block in it)
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" <"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net"> wrote in

As others said - there's probably better reasons to opt for the Deluxe version than the extra 1/4HP.
I've got the non-delux version and am not very worried about HP when I get around to adding the riser.
About the only reason I see to get the riser from Day 1 (instead of later) is you'll not have a bunch of 93 1/2" blades lying around.
"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" <"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net"> wrote:

I have a HF 14" BS with riser blocks. Works great. The additional height is a real advantage, the 3/4hp motor handles a 1/2" blade, cutting 9" stock, with no problem and unlike the Jet, there was no reduction in throat depth.
Deb

I was curious, and on Jet 14" my throat is about 13 inches with the riser block. If I didn't have it, I'd gain about 3/4" more.
This isn't usually a problem for me.