Ripping rock maple

Greeting from a novice!
I was recently ripping some 8/4 hard maple for table legs and I noticed that the feed pressure was a lot more than I anticipated. I had some burning and stunk up the shop pretty good (enough for the wife to complain ;-) ) I am using a brand spankin new Forrest blade 40T with an 1/8" kerf.........should I be using a 24T for this kind of ripping? I also noticed that two of the four legs I cut had a slight bow in them.....the block I cut them from was jointed, planed, and perfectly square......any ideas??
Thanks Again!!
Frank
Frank & Renee asks:

Yes.
Charlie Self "Democracy is a process by which people are free to choose the man who will get the blame." Laurence J. Peter
On 01 Aug 2004 18:32:43 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

A splitter might help too.
JP
I've experienced wood clamping so hard on the splitter the saw had to be turned off and wood PRIED off of the splitter.

Cut true poplar often?

Red oak was the culprit.

I air dry my oak, so it's "popple" that gets me.

that
and
kerf.........should
Seems possible to me that, from the "had a slight bow in them" reference, that the stock had some internal tension and these were released as you ripped. I've had more than one piece of badly dried wood grab the blade pretty badly and put up a smokescreen. As always, a real ripping blade will probably outperform a combo blade when the going get tough but when the wood is grabbing the blade even that might not help.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

that
and
kerf.........should
The wood is most likely the problem providing your saw is also properly tuned and you are feeding parallel to the blade. Maple is prone to burn if everything is not perfect. I "resaw" 5/4 Ipe, 3" wide and seldom get burning using the same 40 Tooth 1/8" kerf blade.

that
and
kerf.........should