Ripping Pressure Treated Wood

Page 2 of 2

snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote:

Well, DOH! :) You crosscut 1" of 2x material, you get same amount of sawdust as 1" rip cut of 2x material...

That it is said on usenet doesn't make it so... :)

See above... :)
Duane Bozarth wrote:

Yeah, I thought that was sort of obvious which is why I didn't explain in detail the first time around.
I quite agree as to what you say that reading something on UseNet doesn't make it true.
That the average human being only uses 10% of his brain is trivially observed by a casual perusal of UseNet articles.
--

FF

AggieSawDust wrote:

Sink another post at the 8' mark.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

I frame all my duck blinds with PT 2X4 ripped in half to nominal 2X2. Been doing it for 30 years. I use a circular saw with the standard edge guide, carbide tipped blade, do it out doors and wear a mask. It works fine. Yeh, the stuff is usually wet. Yeh, it will tend to warp. Make your cut, nail or screw it up, and hope the weight of the fence boards keep the warp to a minimum This is not precision work! It's fence, not a cabinet.
Regards.
Tom Banes wrote:

Around here they have been selling PT 2 x 2 for quite some time. They tend to be warped worse than the 2 x 4s.
--

FF

snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote:

I've never seen any type of wood twist as much after installation as a PT 4x4. One local fence company that I spoke with didn't want to use them for a number of years due to complaints from customers. After that conversation, I used some PT 4x4 and came face to face with what the fence company owner was talking about. I have a gate that stopped closing within weeks of installation because the hinge post had twisted so much that there was no clearance for the gate to close. Some of the other posts I'd installed also had an obvious twist to them. I never had that trouble with untreated redwood 4x4's but the termites loved them.
Dave