"Ripping" baseboard on a router table?

Your only "mistake" in this whole deal was in your wording .. .. if you had said "I need to remove 1/4" of material .. is jointing on a router table, using split fences a good option ??", I thin you would have gotten more favorable responses. As soon as you called it a "ripping" operation, folks got all weird on you.

Use your router table with the offset fences .. use the largest bit you can swing .. use featherboards or at least guide blocks .. use reasonable caution .. all should be well.

Reply to
"<<<

Let's say you have a 1x6 that is 5-1/2" wide and you need it to be

5-1/4, so you decide to use the table saw to do it. The thick blade's kerf is going to remove the material with no cut-off left behind.

Is that not still a rip cut?

(not arguing)

Reply to
-MIKE-

On my table saw it would indeed be a rip cut, and I would have a 1/8" strip left for the scrap bin ...

Reply to
Swingman

That's some thick TS blade (like a dado set w/ a 1/4" width)... :)

Even a standard kerf would leave sliver.

The difference imo is that a 1/4" is quite a hogging operation w/ any router leading to the possibility of splitting ahead of the cut if try it in a single pass or requiring at least two passes whereas a sawing operation does it in one. If there's only a piece or two to do, no real problem; if talking about a whole houseful of baseboard, that gets to be a sizable amount of effort...

--

Reply to
dpb

On Fri, 28 May 2010 10:56:39 -0500, -MIKE- wrote the following:

I just did that but there was a small offcut. And that was with a full-width januwine HF chiwanese carbide blade, too! My Freud Diablo came yesterday and I'm going to install it and try it out over the weekend. It's a thin-kerf job.

Yes, it's a rip.

--------------------------------------------------- I drive way too fast to worry about my cholesterol. ---------------------------------------------------

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Substitute 1/8" if it gets you past the metal block. :-)

Using a good, sharp bit and a strong router, going in the proper direction (downhill grain), shouldn't even make you think twice about taking off 1/4".

I see guys at the woodworking shows, demonstrating their panel bits, who run the entire profile at once and the cut is clean as a whistle.

I suppose if you're using a little $99 router and a 5 bucks straight bit, you'd have to sneak up on a 1/4."

Reply to
-MIKE-

Yeah, I guess I used too big a number in my haste. But, you know what I'm saying.

Exactly. My only point was that the guy's original wording shouldn't have puzzled any of the experienced guys in here.

Reply to
-MIKE-

No more a "rip" cut than if you removed 1/4" on a jointer .. .. just semantics.

Reply to
"<<<

So there has to be a cut-off (waste) piece in order for it to be a rip?

Reply to
-MIKE-

Did I ever say that ?? ?? ?? I don't think so !! !! !!

From WIKIPEDIA : In woodworking , a *rip cut* is a cut made parallel to the wood grain . Rip cuts are commonly made with a table saw , but other types of saws can also be used, including hand rip saws , radial arm saws and band saws .

Kinda implies that we're talking about types of saws when referring to a rip cut .. not routers or jointers. In other words .. you can certainly NARROW a board using a jointer or router .. but it doesn't meet the criteria for calling it a "rip". I mean .. if someone gave you a piece of lumber and asked you to rip it in half .. would you head to the router table or the table saw ?? I don't think a rip operation mandates a piece of waste .. I think a rip operation implies it will be done with some type of saw as stated in the WIKI definition. Heck .. I don't care if you get a trained beaver to chew it off .. it will result in a narrower piece of stock, but it wouldn't have been ripped to get there.

Reply to
"<<<

I know that... and apparently you know that....and any experienced woodworker knows that. But you gave the guy a hard time for using the wrong words.... when we all knew what he was talking about from his description.

So I would think the only confusion would be from inexperienced woodworkers, whose advice one probably wouldn't want. Nor from people who would get "weird" on someone asking for advice but not use the exact terminology you prefer.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Perhaps the key work is rip **CUT*** and not rip **chew*. The waste piece is wood chips.

So the question comes down too... what is the definition of "rip" cutting?

Somebody figure this out and go change the wikipedia definition before it gets out of hand, here...LOL The point being wikipedia is quite often wrong and just somebody's opinion that has the energy to type it in.

No more a "rip" cut than if you removed 1/4" on a jointer .. .. just semantics.

So there has to be a cut-off (waste) piece in order for it to be a rip?

Did I ever say that ?? ?? ?? I don't think so !! !! !!

From WIKIPEDIA : In woodworking, a rip cut is a cut made parallel to the wood grain. Rip cuts are commonly made with a table saw, but other types of saws can also be used, including hand rip saws, radial arm saws and band saws.

Kinda implies that we're talking about types of saws when referring to a rip cut .. not routers or jointers. In other words .. you can certainly NARROW a board using a jointer or router .. but it doesn't meet the criteria for calling it a "rip". I mean .. if someone gave you a piece of lumber and asked you to rip it in half .. would you head to the router table or the table saw ?? I don't think a rip operation mandates a piece of waste .. I think a rip operation implies it will be done with some type of saw as stated in the WIKI definition. Heck .. I don't care if you get a trained beaver to chew it off .. it will result in a narrower piece of stock, but it wouldn't have been ripped to get there.

Reply to
Josepi

Man, have you ever misinterpreted what I wrote !! !! !!

I wasn't giving the OP a hard time at all .. .. I was kinda being apologetic for all the silly controversy he got as responses. I mean .. kickbacks & finger-removing problems .. gimme' a break already.

Reply to
"<<<

Relax, man. I said in the first post I wasn't arguing. Sorry if it's coming across that way. I'm not the one using exclamation points. :-p

Reply to
-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote: ...

In this case, he's no control over grain; he's got to take it off the bottom edge and run in direction of feed. Only alternative is to have two setups to feed from opposite bit sides which adds even more pita factor the operation.

Sure, it _CAN_ be done; I just don't think it's the best/easiest by far unless it's only a few pieces...

$0.02, imo, ymmv, etc., etc., etc., ...

--

Reply to
dpb

re: "I wasn't giving the OP a hard time at all"

BTW...I took it like you meant it. We're good! :-)

You'll also noticed I put the words "rip" in quotes cuz I knew it wasn't really a "rip".

Of all the tools I have, a jointer is not amongst the group, so asking about using a router as a jointer wasn't something that came to mind.

Anyway, as I was loading up the tools to come to Dad's house, I remembered that I still have my old Hirsch Saw Table from 20(?) years ago buried in the back of the shed. Long ago I put a piece of plywood on top and have used it as a portable work bench on occasion.

I threw it in the van, but I'm not sure if the mounting plate is intact or if my PC left-hand circular saw will mount to it. I was going to clamp the router table to it, but maybe I'll take the plywood off and see if I can make it work as a table saw.

PS It's only about 15 feet worth.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

On Fri, 28 May 2010 16:25:26 -0500, -MIKE- wrote the following:

Not in my book, there doesn't. I often rip an RCH off a board to get it to fit or clean up the look. But the -usual- outcome of rip cuts =

2 pieces, and one of them is not necessarily waste. The definition of rip is to cut with the grain, so planes, jointers, and even some router cuts could be considered rips.

--------------------------------------------------- I drive way too fast to worry about my cholesterol. ---------------------------------------------------

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I guess I was thinking if the grain is running up hill when sitting wall-side down, flip the trim piece end to end so it's sitting wall-side up and the grain will be running downhill.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Larry Jaques wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

A "rip" like the OP needed would actually be a cross cut. The router bit cuts across the grain while producing a rip-cut like result.

Cutting along the end grain with a router bit would be a form of rip cut, as the blade is cutting along the grain.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Equal Time Post: 15 feet is easily within hand tool range! Working to a line, a rip saw, bench plane, draw knife, or even a spoke shave would take care of that!

JAG ;~)

Reply to
John Grossbohlin