Ripping 1x4 to 1x3

Page 3 of 3

I've done this with the rip guide on my Porter Cable 7 1/4" saw with satisfactory results... I even made extension jambs for a couple windows one time when no table saw was available. Does your saw take a rip guide? It might do the job for you just fine if you set it to the width of the scrap and clamp the board down securely.
John
The suggestions on using either the rip guide that came with the saw, or clamping on a straight edge should work very well. If your hand is steady, and you have an accurate blade edge mark on the leading edge of the sole plate, you could probably do a good job just following a line. Clamp the board down well.
I cut 2x4 into 1 x 2 clamping it to a picnic table so that the blade could drop between the boards of the table top. All nice and straight, just following a line. Probably better than a cheap table saw.
Bruce

How many of these are you going to rip?
Suggestion, if you purchased the wood recently only to then discover your mistake, try to take the 1x4s back (hope you have the receipt) and get the correct stuff.
ak snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Lots of great info in these posts. One more tip. Measure the distance from your blade to the edge of the saw's base. Mine is 3 1/2" if I remember correctly. If that measurement is fine for you and your trim requirements you can just use that to follow the edige of the board.
Or - Just make friends with somone who has a tablesaw.
Or - just use 1x4 trim as is.

Sell the 1X4s and buy 1X3s.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland