RIP Sam Maloof

Died on 21 May aged 93

We've lost another of the great ones

Ralph

Reply to
Ralph

Wow, didn't know that. I live right down the street from him. He never really recovered from his wife's death. What a really really nice guy. Remembered when he lived in in old place The Orchard where the freeway is now, he showed me his house,shop and collection. I was in seventh heaven gawking at his work. I'll miss him....

Reply to
evodawg

That's very cool that you got to meet him.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Yeah it was. He is fairly well known by the old timers in Rancho Cucamonga, California.

Reply to
evodawg

Sad that he's gone, but as they say in show biz he had a good run.

Reply to
J. Clarke

He's an inspiration to me, for sure. I'm sorry I never made the trek out to meet him. Beautiful work.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

Yep, there aren't many like him. But 93 is a pretty good run. Hope I last that long.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

I was introduced to Sam Maloof by an article in Fine Woodworking back in the late 70's or early 80's. At that time I was teaching woods in a middle school and I would show the class a film that featured Mr. Maloof as well as other craftsman. I would show the film every year because I liked it, I know the student's didn't.

Mr. Maloof will be missed but his designs will endure.

MGH

Reply to
MGH

Rather lengthy obituary on the front page of today's (May 23) LA Times. sigh, j4

Reply to
jo4hn

T> ...that's very cool that you got to meet him.

Even more cool..... he was one of few among us who was able to spend his life doing what he loved and contributing to beauty for all of us.

RonB

Reply to
rnrbrogan

Wow, sorry to hear that. Somebody who was very good at what he did and also according to all stories, a very personable man.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

I saw some pictures of his work online. I really love those chairs.

Reply to
karmstrn

Each language has a word or phrase that expresses the life Sam Maloof lead. In Italian it?s ?lenci? - Do What You Love, Love What You Do. In French it?s ?joie de vivre? - the exhuberant living of life. In Hebrew it?s L?Chiem - To Life! The Greeks have - Live life and enjoy it! This man added ?maloof!? to OUR vocabulary - and what a wonderful encompassing word it is.

MALOOF!

Reply to
charlieb

Back in September of last year a good buddy and I attended a tour/class given by Sam and his helper, Mike. Sam had just had a surgery for his back, but was getting around with a walking staff. He sat with us and answered questions and demonstrated his bandsaw technique for removing waste from the armrest pieces for one of his rockers ("...I wouldn't recommend doing it this way for anyone

*else*," he said while working walnut through the saw freehand)...he sat with us at his home later in the day and signed books and posters...I have *some* photos of the excursion...if you're interested and can navigate alot of my other stuff you'll find 'em at
...look in Photo Adventures, they are organized by date; I believe it was 9-27-08.

cg

Reply to
Charlie Groh

That was his home and studio that was built for him when he was forced to move because of the 210 freeway going right through his original home and workshop. His original home was very rustic and he must have had 50 acres filled with lemon and orange trees. I often wondered who or what built his new home and studio? Never asked him. I know when he lost his beloved wife he was never happy. Believe he was glad it happened before he was forced to move up the hill. I know his daughter and have done work on her home. Mr. Maloof was always willing to talk and spend time with you if he had it to spare. Seemed after his wife died someone else was running it. I could never figured out why he ever put his name on Woodline Router Bits, believe it was an agent or business decision he had nothing to do with. I know the owner of Woodline and he's the biggest ass on the planet. Anyway that's another story. Guess the house now will be turned into a museum and hopefully some kind of school or workshops. I just wonder who's running the operation? I don't think the family has anything to do with it.

Reply to
evodawg

That's excellent.

If there's a guestbook anywhere for comments about him to his family, you should add that.

Reply to
-MIKE-

...his assistants (3 of them, I think) and present wife and I guess his kids all get 1/6th of the estate...this was the buzz we heard during the tour (I think Mike might have mentioned it while answering a "mortality" question)...he wanted his work to go on and those guys were/are the ones doing a hefty portion of it. One thing I left with that day was an appreciation of Sam Maloof as a true patron ot the arts...he had a gallery built on the property and scads of pieces wherever you looked. Cool beans.

cg

Reply to
Charlie Groh

Whoa. They're right down the road from me, now. If you ever want to enlighten me on what to look out for, via private email, feel free. I'd appreciate it.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Here's a little something I found on Youtube

Sam Maloof

evodawg

: That was his home and studio that was built for him when he was forced to : move because of the 210 freeway going right through his original home and : workshop. His original home was very rustic and he must have had 50 acres : filled with lemon and orange trees. I often wondered who or what built his : new home and studio? Never asked him.

Same place, different land. They moved his original house and studio to a new location to make way for the highway.

-- Andy Barss

Reply to
Andrew Barss