RIP: Old Oak ...

Let's all plant a couple in its honour ! John T.

Reply to
hubops

That's not far from me. I had read about the tree a few years ago in the Sunday paper. I have never seen it in person. Thanks for posting this.

Reply to
woodchucker

Must be a large white oak there.

Around here, large white oaks are also massive.

18' in circumference meaning less than 3' in diameter!

If measured correctly, at chest height - it is a reasonable tree.

Mart>

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

$40,000 to remove the thing? That wood give my tree guy a woodie.

Reply to
Jack

No biggie to a Californian. I see our oak tree is still standing:

tree.jpg

That sucker is HUGE! The trunk was at least 5 ft dia way back over half a century ago when I went to jr high. I'm surprised it's still standing. Huge oak trees are no biggie in CA. The state is lousy with 'em. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

That is a shame but thankfully and closer to home an older oak.

Leon

Swingman was heard to mutter:

Been past that tree many times when I was young. Shame it's going but that's what nature does. Heard they have saplings from it already 5-10 feet tall to start a replacement. Thanks for sharing the news.

Reply to
Casper