RIP NYW

Hell, Mae West was better than most of today's full-time "comics." Jane Russell popped a couple I didn't understand for some years: "Are you fond of me, or is that a pickle in your pocket?" IIRC, that was to Bob Hope, a guy I'd like to have seen live forever.
I believe the quote was, "Is that a pistol in your pocket or are you just glad to see me?"
Dave in Houston
Dave in Houston wrote:

I though it was a roll of nickels.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Mae west to Cary Grant in "She done him wrong," in the early thirties.
Mark & Juanita wrote:

FWIW, I've never heard anyone mentioned in this thread curse. I agree, however, in principle.
--

-MIKE-

I saw Bob Hope in concert once. He was one of the dirtier comics I've heard.
Scott Zrubek wrote:

The one that surprised me was Buddy Hackett. Up until I saw one of his concerts on cable, my previous exposure had been the Love Bug and appearances on variety shows. That was one foul-mouthed dude.

Rob Leatham

I was a big fan of Carson, did not care for Leno until he changed the show format about a year after he took over. After that I thought he was great. O'Brian, I liked him better on his original Late Night show. Perhaps after he has been at the helm for a while he will change the format to something better.
Leon wrote: ...

What change was that???
It's still a generally lame monologue followed by a parade of worthless "guests" plugging latest whatever (book/movie/drunk-driving arrrest/wathever) followed by a nobody-ever-heard-of-'em music group.
Other than "Monday Night Headlines" there's never a thing worth keeping it on for.

At first he ran the show like Carson did. That was Carson's deal. Leno loosened up more and added more to the show than basically doing every thing inside the studio.

I'm confused, are you talking about Carson or Leno, or Conan?

You did not like Jay Walking, visiting neighbors, the old spoof on used car salesman? You probably had to actually watch the show regularily to see all the phases Leno went through the years.

"Leon" wrote:

Pretty lame compared to Aunt Blabby, Floyd R Turbot, Carnac, Art Fern, the infamous "Cut off your Slauson", and the list goes on.
Lew

Rest assured, Leno had a long list also.
"Leon" wrote:

As the old saying goes, "Whatever floats your boat".
Just not my style.
Lew

Many years ago I went to a Tonight Show on a Friday night to see Johnny Carson. It was fun. I had 4 tickets and could not give away two of them. Much different to see it live than on TV.

Somehow I think Norm will be back eventually in some form. Or he'll buy a boat. Either way if his wife thinks he's finally going to work on the to do list she's setting herself up for disappointment.
-Kevin

No surprise... Norm said he wanted to wind down and have time for himself and his wife Elise when I met them at Sturbridge Village in August 2004... From that I'd expected the end to come sooner.
John
On Oct 17, 4:27pm, "John Grossbohlin"

I have never met Norm. But when he was here last some of guys that did said he was a change man from his visit ten years ago.
This part is second hand, so take it for what it is worth:
They told me he still liked the woodwork, still liked his working arrangement with Morash, but felt tired and was looking to spend more time with his family. They said they thought he was looking to for new challenges himself.
Even though he does have a cool job, 20 years of a grind would do me in no matter what the job. Norm is pushing (or is) 60, so he is probably thinking there is no better time than now to start new endeavors.
I applaud him having the courage to walk away from a successful business, guaranteed money, his own show and fan base to go to other things. This is sooooo much better than watching him die a long, slow painful on-the-air death.
Personally, I hope the best for him and want to see more of him in the future.
Robert
Leon wrote:

Sorry to hear that. Haven't watched for years, not because I didn't like it, but because it was difficult to find a time when it would be shown rather than being preempted by another PBS Begathon. Just kind of drifted away from even checking for it.

Rob Leatham

This seems to be a regular problem around here (the rec). Am I the only one that has HGTV and a TIVO?
CW wrote:

I've got DirectTV now (no Tivo, thanks). But by that time, I was already past scheduling my time around NYW.

Rob Leatham