RIP NYW

Page 5 of 6

turn any dog off its breakfast.

Winter's on the way. Would they move to Oz once a year to swap seasons?

It's much better this way. If Norm doesn't want to do NYW, then don't find a new guy to do it. Compare The Price is Right. Bob Barker brought something special to the show, something Drew Carey lacks. While I never was a regular viewer, I'm now an active avoider of the Drew Carey versions.
There still room for the genre of a host who does everything, just don't try to shoehorn it into NYW format.
Puckdropper

O"Brian + scraping the bottom.
CW wrote:

I'm guessing you're both over 60. :-)
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

My Dad, who wasn't much of a TV watcher, used to say that Bob Barker was the last true showman.
I gotta say, I never saw Leno do _anything_ like the time that Carson nailed Uri Gellar--the twit couldn't show his face on an American stage for decades after that.

I'm well under 60 and haven't watched the tonight show since 1992. CW is correct - each subsequent host has been a downgrade.
scott

I switched to Dave when Leno came in... he's so much more natural as a wise guy than Jay. Neither are Johnny! Conan who...? Oh yeah, caught him about twice and that was enough.
Scott Lurndal wrote:

Times change and so does humor. And people feel an attachment to entertainers... kind of like sports teams.
I had no attachment to either Jay nor Conan, but I can see that Conan is way, way funnier that Jay.
--

-MIKE-

Evidently you are not alone or he would not have the show. Me, OTOH, cannot bear to watch Conan for two minutes. He just seems fake or uncomfortable or something. Leno I can take in short doses. Carson is still king.
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

Without question; however, maybe there is hope on the horizon.
Fallon holds out hope, but that may be a stretch.
Ferguson has talent as a stand up, if only they would dump the present format and turn him loose.
Lew

John Stewart is the closest in my mind to a Johnny Carson of the current crop of hosts.
scott
Scott Lurndal wrote:

Actually, he is not totally correct.
Allen to Parr = upgrade/downgrade? Parr to Carson = Upgrade. Carson to Leno = downgrade. Leno to O'Brian = Downgrade.
When I was young I thought Parr sucked, and liked Allen. I suspect if I were older, I would have liked Parr more than Allen. I never liked Leno's show, but I always sort of liked Leno himself. Out of all of the bastards, I probably would rather go to a bar, or anywhere, with Leno than the rest of them. He seems almost down to earth, as opposed the the rest of the dimwitted blow hards.
--
Jack
Got Change: America =====> Amerika!

Keep guessing. The Price is Right and Tonight Show are essential showpieces in the General Audience wing of the Museum of Television. Just like NYW is the prime one in the Woodworking wing.
It'll be a while before they're old enough as to be forgotten.
Puckdropper
Puckdropper wrote:

I think there are some kids on your lawn to yell at. :-)
--

-MIKE-

Jack Benny and Phil Harris were funnier than anyone out there for the last decade or two, including Carson.
Charlie Self wrote:

Don't forget Richard Skelton: "All men make mistakes, but married men find out about them sooner."
Charlie Self wrote:

I'd add Milton Berle, Red Skelton, Bob Hope, and Bob Newhart to that list. Those guys could get more laughs with a simple upturned eyebrow than some of today's so-called comedians do with a 10 minute expletive laced monologue.

Rob Leatham

Hell, Mae West was better than most of today's full-time "comics." Jane Russell popped a couple I didn't understand for some years: "Are you fond of me, or is that a pickle in your pocket?" IIRC, that was to Bob Hope, a guy I'd like to have seen live forever.