RIP NYW

Page 2 of 6

No sponsors = No show

...Russell Morash doesn't know how to attract sponsors....? Say what?
"RicodJour" wrote:

Think sindication.
Less work, more money.
Look at Oprah.
Lew

Do you WANT me to go blind?!
I do not understand your reference to syndication. Isn't the show already syndicated? It's a product of WGBH, but I get it on PBS. I'm not sure how public broadcasting works. I thought the member stations were all independent. Elaborate please.
I do not understand your reference to syndication. Isn't the show already syndicated? It's a product of WGBH, but I get it on PBS. I'm not sure how public broadcasting works. I thought the member stations were all independent. Elaborate please.
You may see it pop up on non-PBS stations now. If bought cheap enough, DIY network will have it on at 3 AM
"RicodJour" wrote: ------------------------------------------------- Do you WANT me to go blind?!
I do not understand your reference to syndication. Isn't the show already syndicated? It's a product of WGBH, but I get it on PBS. I'm not sure how public broadcasting works. I thought the member stations were all independent. Elaborate please. ---------------------------------------------------
I'm clueless how syndication works other than to know that TV shows from the 50's and 60's are still appearing on a regular basis in the L/A market.
Lew
Syndication:
PBS doesn't really "own" NYW or TOH or ATOH. They are owned by Morash and he sold some of the shows to Time Warner. I think he retained rights to NYW.
PBS stations sometimes produce their own shows. We have a couple hear in the SF area. The national shows like the "News Hour" are PBS produced, as well as the "Masterpiece" shows (tho most of those shows are re-runs of British shows).
When your local PBS station decides to broadcast a show it doesn't own, it has to pay for that right.
NYW was syndicated on the DIY network for awhile. It's off, I believe. The biggest thing they could do would put them on iTunes. Then they would be available on as needed basis and be able to collect a royalty for the downloads.
MJ

I'm not sure that applies to all shows... Roy Underhill has mentioned a number of times in public venues and in small groups that PBS stations can run The Woodwright's Shop for free... State Farm pays for it. Though he also wonders if State Farm, as an insurance company, would continue to underwrite the show if they saw some of the things he does... He said that when he put his shaving horse on top of his work bench and climbed up there so that folks in the back of the room could see what he was doing. ;~)
John
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

This reminds me of some guy that said pickup trucks **hall** more stuff than cars. The spell checker cop, [Robocop] was not capable of deciphering the code. If you care if the mentally challenged can understand you don't really mean you are *listening* in the SF area, you best check your spelling lest he have another panic attack.
--
Jack
Got Change: The Individual =======> The Collectivist!

I find it kind of odd that they wont keep the show running with a new host. Have Norm make guest appearances, etc. This Old House has had major changes with hosts over the years and it's still going strong.
It's the new "GREEN" culture now. Build stuff out of trees. BAD....

If taken to it's logical conclusion quality woodworking is the ultimate green hobby... the "trees" can last potentially forever as a fine piece of furniture whereas in the woods the tree would die, fall down and rot away. ;~)
John

Think "carbon capture".
John Grossbohlin wrote:

You can also mention that trees are a renewable resource and that they are solar powered.
Dan.

Do that with all the people who prefer plastic bags while shopping, too. Or people who want to buy $200 devices to read ebooks because cutting down trees to make paper isn't green, as if building electronic devices is (but this is on a par with those who think it's green to pour concrete inside of stay-in-place plastic foam forms when housebuilding). People do not bother to think it through, but, instead, jump on the first wagon that rolls by.
And to kick it up a bit - none of the rotting Gas given off nor gas given off by termites (the largest CO2 generator).
Martin
John Grossbohlin wrote:

But think of the beetles that would consume that tree! :{}
"LDosser" wrote:

Beatle poop, the other compost.
Lew

Yep, much better to build the stuff out of cardboard or petroleum. :P
LDosser wrote:

According to the greenies we don't need to build stuff at all--we should all be running around naked in the primeval paradise.

Well, it would certainly cut down on my drycleaning bill.
If we get to choose who the naked people are, I'm signing up early. {Making list in head: Jessica Alba, Scarlett Johansson, Adriana Lima...and I'll have to throw in a token, really fat and disgusting guy so I'll be the logical choice for all the women!}