RIP NYW

Page 1 of 6
I guess it is official now. I recall some one here mentioning that the end was probably near some months back. Apparently the end has come and gone. This past Spring the 21st and last season was shot endign with a 2 part series on building a desk. The NYW web site will remain open, at least for a while, and Norm will still be seen on TOH.
LRod, you can finally give it a rest. LOL

Too bad. I know several here didn't appreciate Norm or his show. But I think he did more to promote the craft among potential newbies than anyone.
The show will be missed.
RonB

And he was just a good regular (okay, maybe a little on the Big & Tall side) guy, not annoying like most of the hosts on TV shows.
RonB wrote:

Exactly, Norm made woodworking accessible, and he encouraged people to expand their boundaries and try new techniques. I can think of things I tried after seeing Norm demonstrate them--I'm going to miss that show.

I watched and liked him in the first few seasons. Then it became endorsement-heavy and downright silly with TimeSavers etc. Then again, you can do birdhouses only so many times as well... It is hard to make it interesting for such a diverse audience. I'm surprised it took this long.
He was always an easy target to make fun of. For that reason I will miss him.

It is to bad - but what can you do.
Years from now on one of the DIY, HGTV, Create channels there will a "new show" that doesn't have a host who does all the talking while a team of carpenters, plumbers, etc. work in the background. It will be a person in a shop who explains how to make things. Those of us who are old enough will say - Gee it is just like the NYW used to be.
Just another thing that I have to preface to my kids by saying "There used to be..."
I am getting old
Larry C

It may not be on TV or Cable. I really like the Wood Whisperer podcast. Check it out. http://thewoodwhisperer.com /
Robert Haar wrote:

Wet behind the ears millennium brat ... <g>
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Leon wrote:

Michael Kenefick wrote:

http://www.newwookiee.com/story/Season_22_Of_The_New_Yankee_Workshop_122964.asp

See the article at:
http://blogs.popularwoodworking.com/editorsblog/CommentView,guid,96b64319-a3b0-461a-a0f4-3e085b4dc135.aspx
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

It would be interesting to do a study, if one could at this late date, to see exactly how many billions of dollars worth of supplies and tools Norm sold, simply via the creation of interest in "hey *I* can do this".
Everybody likes to tinker, build and create stuff. Stuff they can step back from and feel proud about. Even better if that project draws the compliments from friends, family and neighbours.
Norm made things look easy. That was/is a confidence builder. THAT is what makes a guy buy a tool "like Norm"..thousands and thousands of them.....
I'm not making light of his contribution to the industry. I think if it were known in real numbers, it would blow your mind.
On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 19:54:19 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

Too limited. You could do a similar study on Billy Mays. Now what would be really interesting is if a study was done on how many people Norm got interested in woodworking to the point that they continued on with the craft.

I have to wonder if a bit of jealousy is involved. After saving up for six months to buy a palm sander, Joe Sixpak watches Norm say "lets take to over to the 36" belt sander for the first pass"
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote: ----------------------------------------------- > I have to wonder if a bit of jealousy is involved. After saving up for six

As the years went on, the tools became more automated, more complex, and more expensive; however, the basics of the table saw, router/router station, drill press, band saw, etc still remained.
I'm a great believer in a drum sander for instance, but no way would I consider buying one when commercial shops are available at reasonable cost.
If nothing else NYW offered more than just a single application of a drum sander which was in itself a worthwhile lesson.
Lew

I think I am a bit more cynical. I always that it was stupid arrogance combined with ignorance. I was pretty damn sick and tired of hearing the weekend guys standing around saying things like "well hell yeah, if I had all those damn tools I could build that too!".
Horseshit.
As an empirical comparison, I could take almost every one of those same guys and sit them in front of a computer and show them estimating spreadsheets, accounting programs, photo management programs, and word processing software. By simply having the computer in front of them with he programs loaded up enable them to turn out a sophisticated estimate backed with embedded/notated pictures, cost breakdowns of the job by subcontractor, and then a legal, binding contract? Not one tiny chance.
Better yet, I have let a couple of the larger mouthed guys borrow a tool or two "that they needed to get the job done". 9 times out of 10, the tool is of no help. Other strange forces seem to conspire against the barstool geniuses of woodworking.
Norm built such a wide variety of projects over the years you know it takes a full time dedication to learning all the techniques, processes and protocols involved in every aspect of his projects.
His solutions to cutting, assembly and actually thinking out details of design and construction show he was much more than just a pretty face in plaid.
I watched an interview with Morash one time, and he said that the budget was so low for the show for the first 10 years that Norm did everything down to cleaning up the shop. Of course all of that has changed, but as with most craftsmen, they can turn out the project with the tools they have. I know that a panel sander was a handy tool for Norm, but he didn't always have one. I know that he put rails and stiles together without Kreg equipment, but he didn't always have that either. Same with the biscuit machine, cordless drills to drive purpose made screws, and many other of his "stuff". I still remember when Norm used the lowly pipe clamp as his clamping device! Yet his projects sill came out, and new ones were always in the works using the tools he had.
Not so sure about the envy angle, but you might have something. I'm sticking with stooopid.
Robert
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Agree completely. Remember watching probably one of the first shows with Bob V. Norm was the carpenter on a large farm house in New England. His knowledge on construction was unique. He did make it clear that most of it came from his father at a very young age. Use to tape those early shows and replay them every chance I got. Believe Norm had a lot to do with me getting into woodworking and the business of remodeling after I retired. Enjoyed his simply approach and easy to understand instructions.
I too lost the connection with PBS and never able to follow when the show was on or the Begathon's preempted the show. I always thought Norm was never comfortable being in front of the camera and the center of attraction. To me he was a simple man thrown in front of an idea that took off and did his best to make it work and it did. I will miss him. Good Luck in whatever he decides to do
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

If anything, I hope Norm goes off and specializes in some other craft. ~ Something similar to what Leonard Lee is doing after Robin took over the tool business. I believe he's specializing in medical products. At least, that's what I think he's doing.

Two problems with your theory. First, my wife will never believe that you are more cynical than me.
Second, I could build all that stuff it I had all those tools, a shop that large, and the budget for materials. It would take me longer than the 30 minutes he does it in though. Trust me, I'd never kid about that. Just get me the tools and I'll prove it to you. Of course, the only way to prove it is to try it so you guys should chip in and get me the tools. If I can't do it, I'll give them back.

Read what you refer to
http://www.newwookiee.com/default.asp

I find it kind of odd that they wont keep the show running with a new host. Have Norm make guest appearances, etc. This Old House has had major changes with hosts over the years and it's still going strong.