RIP Jim KcKay

If you're over 40, you get it...

**

B A R R Y

Sorry to hear that, he was a class act.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Shame they couldn't have used a picture of him without that toupee.

Reply to
Woodie

I'll never forget that famous line on ABC Wide World of Sports. And the view of the ski jumper wiping out right before the end of the ramp.

Reply to
evodawg

My now 31 year old and I were in Munich we went to the '72 Olympic site, and from the top of the tower my scannnig eyes came on the the Olympic Village.

The first time I recall ever hearing the word "terrorist" was listening and watching Jim McKay describing what had and what was happening - and a man looking into a TV camera saying with the calm, yet barely controlled emotion - "They're all gone."

He was a gentleman - in the literal sense of the word.

Then we got Howard and now we have That Howard.

When I think it can't get worse - it does. And I can tell - because McKay is one of my references for measuring quality. The race to the bottom continues to accelerate.

Would that we had more men like this gentleman.

charlie b

Reply to
charlieb

Amen. Even if you take away the fact that he was so versatile, so articulate, and actually loved what he did, who in the sports casting field today would be considered his peer?

The knot headed nitwits we have on TV now were certainly never more accurately described when called "talking heads".

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Jim Nance qualifies in the gentleman aspect and is also very articulate, but not as versatile.

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

He would top my list as well. I miss Curt Gowdy.

Dave in Houston

Reply to
Dave in Houston

I suggest Al Michaels who is awesomely versatile, and Chris Berman, who is a one-man stats machine.

But I'd jaded about Mr. Berman... He did my high school's football games in the Naugatuck Valley League, on an AM station that barely reached the parking lot.

**
**

B A R R Y

All though he has limited his activity to one sport and one team, Vin Scully has been doing the broadcast duties for the Dodgers since the were still in Brooklyn.

Think he belongs on the list.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett