Rip blade help

Page 2 of 2

Interesting...I'm basing my observation on cutting northern species such as maple oak, cherry, fir plywood, etc.
I always wanted to do something pathological like buy some lignum vitae and try cutting it, but the chance has never presented itself :-)

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 02:38:40 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.net wrote:

I find working with tropical's usually far easier then American woods. usually they are not as or at all case hardened so bind far less. they usually mill with less tearout too. I can rip 8/4 purpleheart with less effort then I can maple. I only rip on my jet contractors saw but with the forrest 30t blade I can rip faster with it then a 20 or 24t rip blade. I don't know if it was the same with an American wood I can't remember. but I can plane it and joint it with less tearout too. though it sure eats up bandsaw blades. I may get a week out of a regular metal blade a couple of months out of a bi metal blade. now sanding them is far more work though. but the polish up better for the most part and need less finish. Knight-Toolworks http://www.knight-toolworks.com affordable handmade wooden planes
On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 02:38:40 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.net wrote:

lignum vitae is kind of fun to work. it's hard as hell, but full of oil, so it's a lubricated cut. smoooth. and it smells nice, too.

Vera is far better it smells so sweet and the sawdust is weird it lumps together you can squeeze it into a ball. makes my whole shop smell nice. Knight-Toolworks http://www.knight-toolworks.com affordable handmade wooden planes