rip blade for "sawzall"

My father in law gave me about four square chunks of log about 12" x 12" that I would like to make into 1" boards. I can rip them on the table saw, but that only gets me about 3" into it. My bandsaw doesn't have that kind of capacity, and I don't think I have enough arm to do it by hand. My thought was to use a long blade in a sawzall, but my question is do they make or where can I get a rip blade? Of course all answers and comments are appreciated!

Use your TS to rip as deeply as possible on both sides. Make one pass then flip the board end for end and rip again. These cuts on both sides of the board will guide the Sawzall blade. For ripping choose a blade with as few teeth per inch as you can find.

I tried that a while ago. I suppose it works, but it makes an awful mess of the wood. I wound up doing the middle cut with a hand saw.
A sawsall will not have a long enough stroke to clear the sawdust from the cut.
You can easily make a sort of bow saw (rectangular frame with blade (piece of bandsaw blade) perpendicular to plane of frame and saw right through.
Believe sawsall will never do it. Need stroke longer than board depth or circular saw to keep the cut clear. .

Ahhh. Good Point. I use a recip saw in this application but normally to only remove 1/2" or less material between 2 rips when resawing.
On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 00:32:01 GMT, "Connearney"

you may have to stop and clear the kerf once in a while.
start the cut with the table saw. follow the cut with the sawzall. it's gonna make a *rough* cut, so leave plenty extra to clean up with the planer.
I don't know of any rip blades for the sawzall, but there are some very agressive tooth long blades for pruning trees that should work.

How about a large pruning saw? That should have enough throat. Also, an old fashioned bucksaw (wooden frame). Wilson
12"

but
"ToolMiser"writes:

that I

that
<snip>
1) Work a deal with a local saw mill. 2) Get a cross cut saw with perhaps 3 TPI and use it after T/S operations above.
SFWIW, spent a lot of time with a sawbuck and a cross cut saw to cut up a lot of fire wood when I was a kid.
It is not remembered fondly, BTW
HTH
Lew
On 29 Dec 2004 00:09:00 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (ToolMiser) calmly ranted:

See if your local city/junior college (or local sawmill/freelancer) has a Woodmiser bandsaw mill.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - If God approved of nudity, we all would have been born naked. ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- http://www.diversify.com Your Wild & Woody Website Wonk
I guess I should have mentioned that the reason my FIL gave me these "blocks" was that he home saws lumber, and these also were given to him, but because they are so short, he has a hard time clamping them in the saw. He broke a blade trying to saw one and it just wasn't worth it. He has a more than ample supply of "logs", which he gives to his SIL's, so I can't and won't argue with him about how to run his machine.