Rikon Band Saw

I'm new to this community and I know this is a tired topic, but I can't seem to find anything on the Rikon 18" 2HP Steel Frame saw as seen on Woodcraft's web site. I am in desperate need of a good (not great, not mediocre) saw for 12" capacity resawing. This will be my primary use for the band saw as it currently stands. Is there anybody out there that has either purchased the Rikon or researched it and would be willing to share your comments? The only other option I can see are the Grizzly G0555 w/ riser block. If there are other sub $1000 saws or a good place to find a used saw quickly, I'd love to hear about that as well. Your help would be greatly appreciated.
------------------ When asked "Who's happier than you?", you respond "No One"
I'm new to this community and I know this is a tired topic, but I can't seem to find anything on the Rikon 18" 2HP Steel Frame saw as seen on Woodcraft's web site. I am in desperate need of a good (not great, not mediocre) saw for 12" capacity resawing. This will be my primary use for the band saw as it currently stands. Is there anybody out there that has either purchased the Rikon or researched it and would be willing to share your comments? The only other option I can see are the Grizzly G0555 w/ riser block. If there are other sub $1000 saws or a good place to find a used saw quickly, I'd love to hear about that as well. Your help would be greatly appreciated.
------------------ When asked "Who's happier than you?", you respond "No One"
noOne asks:

FWW, IIRC, Dec. 04 issue.
Charlie Self "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Charlie Self wrote:

Next month's edition? Maybe you mean Dec. 03? <G>
In any case, FWW really liked the bandsaw. The ones they liked better cost roughly three times as much. I had contacted Rikon shortly after the review came out to inquire about local dealers and they said at that time that they were going to be carried by Woodcraft. As it turned out, it took Woodcraft the better part of a year to start carrying them, but they finally do.
I want one.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@XXXXcarolina.rr.com
"No One" wrote:>I'm new to this community and I know this is a tired topic, but I can't

It rated "best value", or something like that in a recent edition of Fine Woodworking magazine. Just a minute, I'll find the #. Sorry, can't find it right now, but I'm betting it's the May '04 issue. Unless it's April's. Tom Work at your leisure!
Thanks for your reply. I have seen that mentioned in other posts, but I haven't yet found anything from anyone who has actually used it in their shop. Even as inexpensive as this is, it's still a major investment for me. I'd also love some other options. The best thing going for the Rikon is that I can get it locally at Woodcraft (unconfirmed). Again, thanks for the response.
noOne wrote:>I haven't yet found anything from anyone who has actually used it in

May/June #170 FWW. And the tester really used the saw. If only my Woodcraft had one, it'd probably be in my little shop by now. Tom Work at your leisure!
Thanks for your quick reply. I have seen several other posts make reference to this review. I was hoping someone had actually used one and could offer some personal advice. The best things the Rikon has going for it is the price tag and the fact that I can get it locally at Woodcraft (unconfirmed). I'm not set on this saw and would welcome any other candidates. Thanks again for your response.

Are you sure its going to be $1000? That's the website price, but they clearly state you have to pay shipping separately.
I wondered why you picked the Grizzley model with the risers. Its pretty feeble for 12" resaw (1 hp motor).
If you're reallying going to be doing a lot of big thick resawing, I think your budget is a little low.
Bob
I can appreciate that it is low, but budgets aren't set by the idealist. If I could buy the LT16HD that I want, I wouldn't exactly be working in the constraints of a budget at all, just buying the tool I want. The reason for the grizzly is that is the only other alternative I have found for my price range. I don't plan on buying the Rikon off the website. I'm hoping they carry it in store at this point. Obviously this situation isn't ideal, but I gotta play the cards I'm dealt.
noOne wrote:

Amazon has a good collection of reviews of the Grizzly G055 (including mine)." (Amazon.com product link shortened)
Dunno about the Rikon, but the upshot is that for the price, you can't beat the Grizzly. I do have some further quibbles (the lower blade guide (supposedly sealed) bearings filled up with dust and had to be replaced already. However they are they are cheap and the same size as rollerblade bearings, so I have a large stock of them from that source. Be happy to answer further questions about the Grizzly if you have them.
Harry

Grizzley has quite a few more models to choose from that may match your criteria much better in your budget.
Their model G0513 claims 2 hp, 12" resaw capacity. $750 + $78 shipping. I don't know how it performs - just letting you know there are some more choices.
Bob