Rikon 14" bandsaw

After I heard about David's powermatic experience, I did a little research and found that his experience was not exactly an abomination. So now I'm looking at other saws. Does anybody have Rikon experience? I'm looking at these models:
http://www.rikontools.com/productpage_10-320.htm
http://www.rikontools.com/productpage_10-325.htm
I'd love some feedback, thanks.
Jeff
On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 06:04:26 -0800, Jeff wrote:

I bought the 325. So far, I haven't used it for fine work, but sawing up 12" diameter green walnut logs for turning blanks works quite well.
When I assembled the saw, I found that the table was 1/64" low on one corner. I assume it sagged when the blade slot was cut - hardly anyone ages their cast iron anymore. Anyway I sent them an email one evening telling of the problem and offering to send photographs to prove it. I got a response the very next morning telling me not to bother, they were sending me a new table. So I can't fault their customer service.
In short, I'm a happy camper.
Obligatory declaration: I work part time at a Woodcraft store. They sell Rikon products.

the rikon gets mixed reviews. my take on it is it's a pretty good lightweight 14" BS. if I were looking for a 14" BS right now and wasn't in a big hurry, I'd be looking at older (pre 1975-ish) deltas.
On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 12:02:06 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Have the 10-325. It does just fine, and is a good value for the price point. Re-saws well, and has more that enough power. DC arround the lower guides could be better, but thats a minor issue. Only had to make some minor adjustments durring setup, nothing out of the ordinary. Wheels were co-planer, and ballanced, table was flat according to my straight edge. Tracks and tensions as advertised. Overall I'm more than happy with it. Also noticed that Carter has started to take note of the Rikon and has guid out for it, and 18" model. JDH

Leon? Didn't you go a couple of rounds with this saw?
jc

It was the 18"er. I see that they have made improvements to the guide bearings, however I suspect that they will still be very loud after cutting green wood if the wood sticks tot he blade.

My mistake. My memory's not what it used to be. At least I think it's not, now I'm not so sure.
jc
On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 14:28:07 +0000, Leon wrote:

I had that problem. I cleaned the blade and wiped on some TopKote (or Boeshield, I don't remember which). No more buildup.

Good to hear that. I see that the saw now has micro adjustable guide bearings. Have you had a chance to check that out?
On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 21:02:09 +0000, Leon wrote:

No I haven't. It's the busy season at Woodcraft. But thanks for the info. I'll check it out when I get a chance - probably after Festivus.
<DIV>After I heard about David's powermatic experience, I did a little<BR>research and found that his experience was not exactly an abomination.<BR>So now I'm looking at other saws. Does anybody have Rikon experience?<BR>I'm looking at these models:<BR><BR><A href="http://www.rikontools.com/productpage_10-320.htm ">http://www.rikontools.com/productpage_10-320.htm </A><BR><BR><A href="http://www.rikontools.com/productpage_10-325.htm ">http://www.rikontools.com/productpage_10-325.htm </A><BR><BR>I'd love some feedback, thanks.<BR><BR>Jeff</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT color=#000080 size=2>I bought mine a year and a half ago and have no complaints.&nbsp; It does everything they promise.&nbsp; Had to wait a few weeks for a container to arrive, but the price was right and had no tax or delivery charges.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT color=#000080 size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT color=#000080 size=2>David</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=
Just David wrote:

I don't have either of the 14" models but I've owned the 18" Rikon for 2-3 years and have no regrets.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Jeff, if you are looking for a replacement saw, I would advise you to look at better saws in general. About 2 years ago I bought the 18" Rikon and I have seen that there have been many ongoing improvements to that particular saw. I returned the Rikon 2 weeks after getting it as it would not hold adjustments and was loud after cutting green wood. I was looking for an upgrade and the Rikon was far from the size upgrade that I wanted. I finally narrowed my search down to the MiniMax and the Laguna and bought the Laguna LT16HD. It is equal to or greater in features to a good cabinet saw. Blade changes and set up for those changes are quick and easy and adjustments hold. I get to spend my time using the saw vs. adjusting the saw. If this is your first BS and you understand that with lots of use you will probably upgrade later on, this is probably a good "first saw" for the money. I will say however that my thoughts would be that the Powermatic would be superior to the Rikon, maybe not.