Rigid TP1300LS Planer

This seems like the best choice for the cash challenged. I've read a few of the reviews and they all seem to have their problems. If I had my druthers I'd purchase something with permanent blades, but that seems unlikely. I like the DW735 for a $100 more, but then you have to add infeed/outfeed and a stand.
So are there any dissenters on this Planer and when is HD likely to have a sale?
"Bill Stock" wrote in message

Haven't seen it on sale in a while, but don't hesitate when you see one. It's an excellent tool at the regular price, and an especially good value on sale.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/21/06

I've been abusing mine for about four or five years, without complaint. Well, except for the board I ran through it that wasn't close to parallel sides, and blew out a $4 sprocket. The hardest part of the repair was waiting for Fed Ex to deliver the stuff in three days.
The 'disposable' blades are, but I have been rehoning mine with a block of maple and 600 grit wet/dry, with pretty good results. Several thousand board feet of red oak, soft maple, walnut, tanoak, cherry, etc. through mine, and it's as good as new, for my tastes.
I wouldn't wait for a sale. I'd ask the tool manager to find me a nice clean boxed fresh one, and buy a couple of sets of blades.
Have fun!
Patriarch
any way to adjust the parallelness of the cut on this beast?
Patriarch wrote:

I've never looked. There likely is, but if mine needs it, I'm not aware of it.
Anybody?
Patriarch

years old.
Bill Stock wrote:

Instead of waiting for a sale, try to look for one of those seminars where they give you a 10% off coupon. A lot of them are targeted to women, so if you have a wife, that would be nice. Also, keep an eye out for when they have those "open a credit card, get 10% off".. I think they occasionally have a 10% off power tools sale around Christmas on some years as well.
I have been looking at planer options for a while (this Ridgid, Dewalt 735, and Grizzly 15"x8" are my choices at this point), and have a related question for you guys since many of you seem to like the Ridgid one.
I am going to plane some rough cut 4"x12" beams (hemlock or doug fir), about 20-24 feet long. Not worried about the exact parallelness, but want a smoother finish.
Would the less expensice Ridgid or Dewalt have the power to pull something like that through the machine? I plan to use a jointer to smooth the 4" sides.
Thanks.
Jeff

I did some largish planks from western red cedar that we had cut with an Alaskan chain saw mill. One of them was 'signigicantly less parallel' than the others. That's what blew out my planer when it jammed. Would likely have blown out almost anything else available, less than $1k, too. I just had it set WAY to aggressively. (In other words, stupidly.) Parts were under $15 including shipping, but three days away. 20 minute fix, because it was the first time for me.
The machine has the capability to do what you want to do. I've been running 4"x9"x 8' old growth redwood, recycled from a bridge, through mine, and it does just fine. Just take it at a reasonable pace, and think things through. Just like any other project.
Patriarch
Patriarch wrote:

Thanks, I will pick up the Ridgid or a refurb Dewalt 735 and save the other money for other stuff in the project, Toolking has the Dewalt right now for $400, so the prices are very close and tempting.
Jeff

Check for the blade prices and parts availability on the DeWalt. It's a good machine, but built differently. If the 735 is a 3 bladed planer, you have other issues to consider, too. Also check how 'thick' a piece the DeWalt will do, and if that's enough for you.
And enjoy your project!
Patriarch
Patriarch wrote:

The Ridgid and the Dewalt both claim 13"x6" capacity, either would let me run a rough sized 4x12. What are the issues with the 3-blade setup? I was thinking it would produce a smoother finish, are changeouts a rear bear?
Jeff

I don't HAVE a DeWalt, although some of the club members do, as does one of my similarly addicted neighbors. The DeWalt is reputed to be a fine machine.
When a 2 bladed planer can have its blades swapped for much less per edge than a 3 bladed planer, then the running economics have to be reexamined. That's all I was trying to say.
Take a look at the archives (Google Groups) on the DeWalt. There was some, reputedly temporary, problem with the tool, IIRC. I didn't pay that much attention. IF I replace this tool, and I don't currently plan on it, it will be with a heavier, 240V beast.
Make your choice based on your situation, and have at your project. After a while, the differences in a competitive market grow pretty small.
Patriarch
Patriarch wrote:

I see what you mean now. Yes, I still need to go see what new parts cost for both of them. Thanks for the tip.
I was reading yesterday about the gear that was breaking, guess that is sorted out now though.
Those heavy beasts of a planer look very nice, but I am not so sure that I NEED one much more than I need one of these smaller, half price models. I think I need another tool more than a huge planer.
Thanks for sharing your info, Jeff