Rigid planer question

Hello, I have a 1 year old Rigid 12" planer that has been used sparingly. I did use it yesterday and seemed to have a problem with the lever thingy on the right hand side that is supposed to lock in the thickness controlling hand wheel. It doesn't lock it in tight like it did when I first got it. When planing now I have to hold the hand wheel from turning on its own with the lever locked???? Is there an adjustment to make this locking lever hold better?? I have not tried to force the handwheel at any time with the lever in the "locked" position so I don't know how it could have gotten this way in just a year with minimal use?? Any suggestions or help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance..... Steve

Reply to
Steve

"Steve" wrote

My Ridgid is a 13" ... my first thought is to get out the air gun and clean it out real good. Sounds like you might have some chips/debris caught in the lift/locking mechanism. Also might want to try a light application of white lithium grease on the moving parts.

Reply to
Swingman

I have a 13" Model also and love it. I had a similar situation with the head locking device. The manual explained how to correct the problem and it was real simple. I'm away from my shop now or I would give you more info.

Frank

Reply to
Frank

Frank.. good to hear that I'm not the only one that reads manuals.. lol

We had an expression in the computer consulting biz... "RTFM"

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Sorry, I guess mine is a 13" as well..... Thanks for the replies! I will check out the manual. I should have done that first I guess..... One more thing. I also have a problem occasionally with the board having a very slight gouge a couple inches from the feed end when it exits the planer. I have noticed the board seems to bounce a little just as it hits the cutter head. I've checked and reset the incoming feed table several times however I can't seem to eliminate getting the slight gouge. Is this caused by an unlevel feed table or am I doing something wrong?? Any suggestions or tips on this would also be most helpful. Thanks! Steve

Reply to
Steve

Sorry, I guess mine is a 13" as well..... Thanks for the replies! I will check out the manual. I should have done that first I guess..... One more thing. I also have a problem occasionally with the board having a very slight gouge a couple inches from the feed end when it exits the planer. I have noticed the board seems to bounce a little just as it hits the cutter head. I've checked and reset the incoming feed table several times however I can't seem to eliminate getting the slight gouge. Is this caused by an unlevel feed table or am I doing something wrong?? Any suggestions or tips on this would also be most helpful. Thanks! Steve

Does you have an F1 button? ;~)

Reply to
Leon

I had the same problem on my planner. I adjusted the tables as per the manual and it helped alot but I still have the problem but to a minor extent. Sometime I have to waste the end of the board. I know that doent help, but just wanted to let you know u are not the only one with the problem.

Randy

randyswoodshoop

Gentlemen;

It's called snipe and happens to each and every planer on the planet except for the one that belongs to the person who is going to reply back that it doesn't happen to him. HI HI ...

What is happening is the end (doesn't matter which end) of the board is not supported as it enters or leaves the planer blades and the board drop raised the top side of the board and causes the planer to snipe the end.

Dave Nagel

Reply to
David G. Nagel

Of course...

Sort of like an ID 10 t error... lol

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

tables and uses a 6" long 1x12" clamped to the planner bed.. He claims that he never gets snipe that way, not even when he's running a sled through the planner..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Usually it is a PEBKAC error, from my experience. ;-)

Reply to
FrozenNorth

That's a new one to me??

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair. ;-)

Reply to
FrozenNorth

I like that... It's been added to my consulting guidelines..lol