rigid lifetime warranty home depot problems

hi just wanted to post a followup to the rigid tool threads that have died. i bought a rigid 4 pack of cordless 18v tools back in september, all have been working well except the following.
i do have the lifetime tool warranty, copied and a laminated copy (donot laminate the original, it will turn black.), as the original home depot reciept will fade to nothing in a matter of months.
a month after having the 18v X2 cordless drill R841150 the low variable speed went out. so all it would do is full speed, like pulling the trigger all the way. i took it back to home depot and they gave me a new one, but said that it was only because it was less than 90 days old.
next a battery went bad after taking a 8 foot drop, the batts have taken that kind of drop before with no problem. i got the run around with a local shop that was an "authorized" repair dealer. finally i called rigid back and said i would like another dealer, so they gave me a different one. that dealer said to send the defective battery to them and they would take care of it. i waited a month for my battery replacement. it did come, but oddly enough it came from a RYOBI fufilment center, HMMMMM.... i did notice the RYOBI serial stickers on thier drills have the same date code serial configuration as the rigid.
so currently, tonight... i was doing alot of drilling, particularly mediun speed drilling, trigger spends alot of time half pulled, the low trigger speed range went bad, and now its all or nothing, no variable speed. i will be sending the drill in, so we will see how long this takes and what they do to fix it or get me another.....
anybody else have any problems with the rigid tools or the rigid lifetime warranty of thier cordless and power hand tools?

As for the battery if you know it has taken an 8ft drop what can you expect??? inside a connection between the cells has probably disconnected / broken (they are not designed to withstand that kind of treatment, when they survive an 8ft drop onto a hard surface you are lucky), we are a Ridgid warranty service center & if there were no obvious signs of the drop & you did not openly confess to dropping it we would replace or repair it under warranty without question.....(if within the warranty period).
As for the switch it should get replaced promptly no question...but read the small print, the warranty is clear..as mud...Dated receipt / proof of purchase is required...Ask Home Depot or your local Ridgid service center for copies of the Service announcements related to Ridgid's expressed warranty policies to know exactly where you stand.
As a clue (The Lifetime warranty relates to defects in manufacturing not wearing out during normal use).
Ridgid / Ryobi Tech / Emerson / One World Tech / Techtronic Ind..........one & the same.(at the moment)
Regards & good luck.
Jon~
--
My eBay items currently listed:
http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=lamblies&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=25

speed range went >bad, and now its all or nothing, no variable speed.
To me, this chain of events doesn't scream out that they are working well. 2 bad triggers on 2 different drills. Sounds like more than a fluke.
Chuck
Sorry to hear about your bad luck and or to be expected luck. I too considered getting one of the drills during the period that offered the lifetime warranty on all parts. Then I got to thinking of why the tools would not have a lifetime warranty if bought after 1/1/2004. Your experience may explain the lack of a lifetime warranty now. I do agree though that an 8' drop for the battery pack can be considered abuse. The triggers on the drills seems to indicate a product that is not intended to be used very often.
If the serial/date codes are same as Ryobi, Nuff Said!
Ryobi is nothing but absolute total JUNK!
My Ryobi router quit functioning as designed after less than 4 hours continuous use - I now have to duct tape the lock into the run position to keep it going. My Ryobi radial arm saw died after a few months use because the plastic housing mounting screw molds in the swivel head broke out and the entire saw motor head fell out off the arm. Of course, I didn't discover the problems until well after the warranty periods.
If Home Depot starts giving them away, and they'll provide more than one so when the first one dies, I May take them home. Otherwise, I never want to see another Ryobi POS again as long as I live!
I decided on their brand back when it was being featured on PBS home improvement shows. It's no surprise now that I never see their products used by the likes of Norm and others on PBS. Good to know I'm not the only one got duped by them.
If Rigid is indeed being manufactured by the same people, I'm thankful to know. At least I can avoid getting a huge one up the wazu again.
Thanks for your post!
Bubba
PS- If you're looking for a replacement 18V kit, I highly recommend the Milwaukee ones. I have worked the crap out of these tools and they just keep on going! I'm very impressed and that's hard to do anymore. Don't ya just love how Home Depot & Lowes gives out those "Disappearing" ink receipts?
-- "A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul." - George Bernard Shaw
just wanted to post a followup to the rigid tool threads that have<BR>died.<BR>i bought a rigid 4 pack of cordless 18v tools back in september, all<BR>have been working well except the following.<BR><BR>i do have the lifetime tool warranty, copied and a laminated copy<BR>(donot laminate the original, it will turn black.), as the original<BR>home depot reciept will fade to nothing in a matter of months.<BR><BR>a month after having the 18v X2 cordless drill R841150 the low<BR>variable speed went out. so all it would do is full speed, like<BR>pulling the trigger all the way. i took it back to home depot and they<BR>gave me a new one, but said that it was only because it was less than<BR>90 days old.<BR><BR>next a battery went bad after taking a 8 foot drop, the batts have<BR>taken that kind of drop before with no problem.<BR>i got the run around with a local shop that was an "authorized" repair<BR>dealer. finally i called rigid back and said i would like another<BR>dealer, so they gave me a different one. that dealer said to send the<BR>defective battery to them and they would take care of it.&nbsp; i waited a<BR>month for my battery replacement. it did come, but oddly enough it<BR>came from a RYOBI fufilment center, HMMMMM....<BR>i did notice the RYOBI serial stickers on thier drills have the same<BR>date code serial configuration as the rigid.<BR><BR>so currently, tonight... i was doing alot of drilling, particularly<BR>mediun speed drilling, trigger spends alot of time half pulled, the<BR>low trigger speed range went bad, and now its all or nothing, no<BR>variable speed. i will be sending the drill in, so we will see how<BR>long this takes and what they do to fix it or get me another.....<BR><BR>anybody else have any problems with the rigid tools or the rigid<BR>lifetime warranty of thier cordless and power hand tools?</BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=

See www.houghi.org for an explanation of how and why.

They're not the only ones. Best Buy, Circuit City, ect. ect.
But how do you really feel?
Contact Ryobi. My dad used to get stuffed fixed all the time after warranties had expired. Call the company.
007 wrote:

Not exactly a warranty problem, but ...
A couple years ago I bought a Ridgid shop vacuum. It's been working just fine, I have no complaints about it. But about 2 months ago I used up the last of the filters that I had so I went to HD to buy some more. What I found is that they carry only one size/model filter and it doesn't fit my vac. (I checked at 3 different HDs. Same story in all 3)
Inquiries as to where/how I could get a filter to fit my model produced only shrugs and comments along the line of "That's the only one we stock."
Three e-mails to Home Depot via their web site's "contact us" link (or whatever it's called) asking where I might find this part produced absolutely no response.
Apparently HD switched vendors (Emerson to Ryobi?) and gave no thought to stocking even routine replacement parts for customers who owned the older models. As far as they're concerned, I should simply toss out my perfectly-good vac and go buy a new one, to save them the bother of stocking replacement service parts.
Based on this experience, I would never again buy anything from HD that might ever need service or replacement parts. I might consider a Ridgid-brand hammer, screwdriver or crowbar, but nothing more complicated.
(The story does have a happy ending, no thanks to HD: Recalling that Emerson used to be the supplier of Craftsman power tools, I checked out the local Sears and found a whole shelf full of filters in exactly the right size. I bought half a dozen.)
On 12 Apr 2004 20:16:25 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (jack smith) wrote:

http://www.ridgidparts.com
Give this site a call/e-mail. They may be able to help you.
Marc. Remove NOJUNK in address.
(jack smith)

hi guys, several you have commented on the dissapearing ink reciepts, i bet ridgid and HD are banking on that in the lifetime warranty deal, what i did was to copy the reciept, with the lifetime warranty insert and credit card statement , then laminate it with the cut out of the upc on the ridgid box. the original reciepts have all but faded now.
as for the warranty, some of you are concerned with the end of the promotional lifetime warranty of january 2004 it ending. it is possible that some people mis unsderstand that. it seems that some people are taking that as the end of the lifetime warranty? (i get that impression from some of the posts here, and elsewhere) if you bought before jan 2004 you lock in the lifetime warranty, period. that will be obvious to most, but wanted to explain it anyway.
i have pulled out my laminated warranty card,
some key things it states,
"LIMITED TIME OFFER: On all purchases of RIDGID hand and stationary power tools from september 1st to december 31, 2003!"
"dont miss this chance to recieve a lifetime of service* on these power tools designed to be used day after day"
"this lifetime service warranty covers all defects iin workmanship or materials AND normal wear items"
"that means free battery packs for life."
"remember to hold on to your reciept! proof of purchase MUST be presented when requesting the limited lifetime warranty service and to participate in the 90 day satisfaction guarentee" "see details by visiting www.ridgid.com or calling 1-866-539-1710" ------------
i also think some people might be confusing the regular lifetime warranty that ridgid has offered on all thier large electric power tools for a long time, that warranty does not cover normal wear and tear.
hope that helps clarify..
just an update to keep the thread alive,
i have not had a chance to send in my drill yet as i am still involved with some projects with it. i have noticed that now its all or no speed, at first sign of speed failure it was no speed/90%/full. i have been using it recently for alot of concrete drilling with a 1/2 concrete bit, the drill is holding up quite well, although i did use it so much yesterday that some kind of thermal cutoff happened, the drill acted dead, but later that night, i squeezed the trigger again and it worked all or nothing like before. im still looking for people to give me feedback on thier ridgid cordless tool sucesses and failures. even storys of how the cordless tools survived something terrible, would be cool.