Rigid Joiner

Seems that Home depot is selling off their current model of 6" joiner. Its $80 off at this time. Is it good or bad?
Dave Ewers
It's good.
Stephen R.

: Seems that Home depot is selling off their current model of 6" joiner. Its : $80 off at this time. Is it good or bad? : : -- : _________________________________________ : Dave Ewers : NPN 750 : _________________________________________ : The reduced price plus the 20% off last weekend made it an Excellent Buy for a heavy duty unit, but I haven't been able to find spare knives in stock at any of the local HD stores. This could be worrisome.
One the other hand, it might not be much of a problem since one bright light shining star HD tool corral worker proudly told me that the Ryobi AP1300 thickness planer blades would fit the Ridgid 6-1/2-inch jointer/planer "because they're double edged"!
Yeah, right. That's making me consider returning the machine and just going elsewhere.
--
Steve
www.ApacheTrail.com/ww/
Steve wrote:

Amusing, the parts catalog skips right over the knife set. I'm off to HD to get the one set they have.
Grandpa wrote:

I have the same jointer and the same trouble finding replacement knives. I bought a set of knives at Sears and they seem to work just fine. I don't think the Ridgid knives are out of the ordinary, so I bet Delta or Jet knives would probably work too.
"Grandpa" <jsdebooATcomcast.net> wrote in message

: Seems that Home depot is selling off their current model of 6" joiner. Its : $80 off at this time. Is it good or bad? : : -- : _________________________________________ : Dave Ewers : NPN 750 : _________________________________________ : It's a good price but the extra 20% off last weekend made it an excellent buy for a heavy-duty machine. However, I haven't been able to find spare knives at any of the home depots I've visited and could be a bit worrisome.
On the other hand, though, one Bright Light Shining Star tool corral employee told me that the Ryobi AP1300 (thickness planer) knives would fit the Ridgid 6-1/2-inch jointer just fine because "they're double edged"!
With reassurance like that I'm considering returning it and buying something else from somewhere else.
Steve
www.ApacheTrail.com/ww/
Perhaps a new model is coming out so the old stock must make room... but since Home Depot charges something like 21 % or so interest on their credit cards I wouldn't suspect a price cut of 80 dollars eminates from the goodness of their hearts.
A flaw in the product might have been discovered after zillions of them were manufactured and the product line is discontinued... such as in the case of a certain model number of Porter Cables routers... so now they entice the public into getting their defective product by a price slash.
" Let the buyer beware " as the saying goes. And besides, would you want your surgeon to operate on you using low bid tools ???
On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 03:35:56 GMT, "David Ewers"

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 04:09:02 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@woodworker.com Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

snip
umm, you don't read much about tools do ya?
do yourself a favor, and search the archives for the emmerson/home depot/ridgid discontinued machines threads. . .
On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 04:22:32 -0600, Traves W. Coppock

Nor does he read Owners Manuals. OK, I'll contribute to your delinquency just this one time. Parts are readily available here:
http://www.ridgidparts.com/accessories/woodacc.phtml
TomL