Rigid Band Saws?

And the vast majority of the items listed under "Tools" are lawn and garden equipment.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Gordon

In our area, it's mostly low-end tools. I've been looking for a welder for a while. I can find the cheap 110v Hobart or other Chiwanese brand welders and an occasional high-end industrial grade welder with an accompanying generator, but nothing in between.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

IMHO, band saw fences are way over rated... We have them on router tables and table saws, so we figure that a BS needs one too.. I used a friend's kreig (SP) $150 "micro adjustable" fence kit with t-track brackets and was unimpressed..

I've used an oak 1x3" and 2 quick clamps for years for pen blanks and thin stuff, a 2x6" on end for resawing and done as well as I think a fence kit would do..

I made a new one last year... 2x2" oak with a "T" on the back end and a toggle clamp on the front.. works great... YMWV

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

I'm with ya'!

I got a Kreg as a thank you gift, and don't think it's a real improvement over my clamped, jointed board, tapped with a hammer for fine adjustments..

So there, I somebody gave me a $150 fence, and I still wouldn't buy one.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

Here, in the SF Bay you can buy anything from craigslist. You need to wait for the right item and at the price to pay to show up. We too have a fair bit of trash here, be patient and wait, inevitably you will find a good deal. I bought a fair amount of woodworking machines in craigslist. Two months ago, I bought a vintage Atlas model 64 DP for $100. It was incorrectly listed for $75. However, when I tested the DP, I knew it was worth far more than $100. Under the thick coat of dirt, the paint work and machine is in excellent condition. Atlas DP is much more solid than my vintage Delta 14" floor standing DP and it had a unique adjustable center idler (made by Savage MFG CO.) I have never seen before.

How about this one Rockwell Delta DP?

Unisaw anyone, bit pricey?

just love craigslist, especially sf's craigslist.

Reply to
WD

You also have to jump immediately or fight 1000 other people.

I saw the Unisaw. There was also a PM66 that looked almost new for $1450. Don't remember exactly where it was though.

Wayne

Reply to
NoOne N Particular

Including several interpretations of "Hoe".

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

The only thing a band saw fence is really useful for is resawing, otherwise they're pretty pointless. It's like having a fence on a scrollsaw.

Reply to
Brian Henderson

I use my Jet with the Kreg fence to rip wood and also to cut tenons for mortise and tenon joinery. I don't see how you can say that. You obviously are not using your saw to it's full potential.

When ripping rough cut wood in preparation to jointing and sizing, the bandsaw is a better tool than the table saw. My saw is tuned to where it cuts straight and square. All that is needed is a hand plane or a jointer to make it square and smooth. :-)

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

A pointy stick is actually more useful.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

So is mine. I can cut directly to a line, without the $150 fence.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

I was making a bandsaw box today, and I needed to cut a parallel slice off the top and bottom. It took me about 5 seconds to set this up with my Kreg fence. No need to align the fence, adjust for drift, etc.

Reply to
Maxwell Lol

I never saw the need for the Kreg. With that said, I have the tall fence that came on my Laguna. You need a tall fence for resawing.

Laguna has a truely fine BS fence geared toward resawing. Laguna believes in cutting such that the veneer is not between the blade and the fence. The feneer falls free and clear of the blade when the cut is complete. The fence also adjusts for drift and micro adjusts easily and quickly for cuting the next slice of veneer after every pass.

Leon

Ripping to a line would seem to me to be a pain in the butt. Of course it depends on what I'm ripping. Most woods rip fine with the fence. Effing Lyptus drifts all over the place.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Mine keeps the cat from rolling off the table in his sleep..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis