Rigid Band Saws?

Page 2 of 2

IMHO, band saw fences are way over rated... We have them on router tables and table saws, so we figure that a BS needs one too.. I used a friend's kreig (SP) $150 "micro adjustable" fence kit with t-track brackets and was unimpressed..
I've used an oak 1x3" and 2 quick clamps for years for pen blanks and thin stuff, a 2x6" on end for resawing and done as well as I think a fence kit would do..
I made a new one last year... 2x2" oak with a "T" on the back end and a toggle clamp on the front.. works great... YMWV
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 16:30:07 -0800, mac davis
I'm with ya'!

I got a Kreg as a thank you gift, and don't think it's a real improvement over my clamped, jointed board, tapped with a hammer for fine adjustments..
So there, I somebody gave me a $150 fence, and I still wouldn't buy one. <G>
On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 16:30:07 -0800, mac davis

The only thing a band saw fence is really useful for is resawing, otherwise they're pretty pointless. It's like having a fence on a scrollsaw.

I use my Jet with the Kreg fence to rip wood and also to cut tenons for mortise and tenon joinery. I don't see how you can say that. You obviously are not using your saw to it's full potential.
When ripping rough cut wood in preparation to jointing and sizing, the bandsaw is a better tool than the table saw. My saw is tuned to where it cuts straight and square. All that is needed is a hand plane or a jointer to make it square and smooth. :-)
On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 21:07:47 GMT, "Lowell Holmes"

So is mine. I can cut directly to a line, without the $150 fence.
Bonehenge (B A R R Y) wrote:

Ripping to a line would seem to me to be a pain in the butt. Of course it depends on what I'm ripping. Most woods rip fine with the fence. Effing Lyptus drifts all over the place.
--John
On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 20:35:22 GMT, Brian Henderson

A pointy stick is actually more useful.

I was making a bandsaw box today, and I needed to cut a parallel slice off the top and bottom. It took me about 5 seconds to set this up with my Kreg fence. No need to align the fence, adjust for drift, etc.
On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 20:35:22 GMT, Brian Henderson

Mine keeps the cat from rolling off the table in his sleep..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
wrote:>

Well there you go. ;~)

I never saw the need for the Kreg. With that said, I have the tall fence that came on my Laguna. You need a tall fence for resawing.

Laguna has a truely fine BS fence geared toward resawing. Laguna believes in cutting such that the veneer is not between the blade and the fence. The feneer falls free and clear of the blade when the cut is complete. The fence also adjusts for drift and micro adjusts easily and quickly for cuting the next slice of veneer after every pass.
http://www.lagunatools.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID 2

Depends on your budget, IMHO... I bought the Ridgid a few years ago for a little over $300 and I just don't see anything as good for that price.. I added the riser kit, not Ridgid but Grizzly, on the advice of some folks in this group.. same part, different color and about 1/3 less money..
The only changes I've made are blades, a link belt (which helped a lot) and a 4" hole in the lower clamshell for a DC port..
I've had no issues with alignment, tracking, etc.. cuts pen blanks square and bowl blanks round.. I'm a professional turner and use and abuse it a lot.. it always does what's needed, but slowly on the thicker, wet stuff.. it could use a bit more power, but as I said, it's a good saw for the price..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
I had a feeling that most of the reviews I had read on the internet were from people who had problems and were basically the exception to the rule for these machines.
Worst case scenario, I will have to put a 200 lb. machine back in the SUV and take it a block back to the HD for a refund or order a Delta off the HD website...
mac davis wrote:

FWIW, I seem to remember this being reviewed by one of the wood mags/ rags a year or two ago, and it did well for the saws in its class. My old commercial rep from HD sold a lot of those and the folks seem to like them, especially when considering the bang for the buck.
As long as you know what you are getting and have realistic expectations, seems like a pretty good buy to me.
Having seen the fit and finish of the Delta over at Lowe's, I would probably make my own bandsaw from wood before buying that. The castings were so rough they used something like a thick plastic coating on the unmilled faces to fill in all the voids rough areas on it. The whole machine just looked like a primitive Chinese effort from one of those knockoff companies that come around from time to time.
Just my 0.02.
Robert
mapdude wrote:

I've had mine for about 2 years, and it's performed well for me. I added a riser block and use Timberwolf blades, and when it's properly adjusted I've been able to resaw various hardwoods up to 9" wide. I agree it could use more power, but overall I'm happy with it.
I added a Kreg fence I bought from Woodcraft:
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyidR44
It's $115 US, But I don't think I paid that much for it. I bought the 7" resaw guide separately, but it comes bundled with the fence now.
--Steve
I have the Ridgid BS and really like it. IMOHO, its a great value for the money.
Like others, I added the riser and timberwold blades. The fact that it dosent come with a fence is a plus, in that you can get a really nice after market addon that does a much better job that the factory fences on bandsaws of this price range.
Skip www.ShopFileR.com